Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Riftwar Saga Series

  1. #11
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    26,490
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    I think it depends a lot on your age when you read it the first time. I read Magician in primary school, but I stopped halfway through. The English and grammar was too advanced as it wasn't my first language. Then tried again in High school, and absolutely loved it.

    If I have to read it now for the first time as an adult, I doubt it will have the same impact on me as it did when I was younger.
    Yeah I read them as an adult in my thirties.

    It did appear to be very “young adult” in nature and therefore somewhat boring.

    Then again Robin Hobb isn’t much different in that notion and I’m burning through her books one after another.

    Rift War Saga was just boring if I’m honest with too much of nothing happening in between what are really short lived and minor events in the bigger picture.

    It goes into way too much detail for things that don’t need detail.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  2. #12
    Very Senior Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Wyvern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,297
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siphon View Post
    Season 1 will probably end when pug is taken
    Season 2 where first half of book 1 ends...
    I would be happy if the series ends at the end of magician. Has a good enough ending. I do wonder if they will throw in the empire series in between magician though. Then it might be quite a few seasons.
    I actually hope a little that they do blend the two together - if you read both series at the same time they blend. What affects one, affects the other world as well. If they blend the two, it could work, but then they need a production and set that needs to be semi impressive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    I think it depends a lot on your age when you read it the first time. I read Magician in primary school, but I stopped halfway through. The English and grammar was too advanced as it wasn't my first language. Then tried again in High school, and absolutely loved it.

    If I have to read it now for the first time as an adult, I doubt it will have the same impact on me as it did when I was younger.
    I read it the first time in about Std 5/6 (but I will add that I had read The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit by age 10)
    And just a month or two ago I finished the series again. I reread the books about every 2 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by noman View Post
    have read my share of fantasy. personally would rate the 1st three books in the Malazan series as among the best.
    Gardens of the Moon, Deadhouse gates and especially Memories of Ice are astounding achievements.

    have you tried Stephen Marley (Chia Black dragon series)? That is some dark af stuff, but oh so good. Mortal Mask in particular.
    I honestly cant tell you why I was struggling with the Mazalan series so much, I tried again in Jan to try and read it. Im currently trying The White series from Trudi Canavan again - I prefer her Black Magician series as well.
    I will get the Stephen Marley - I have made a note, want to find more fantasy authors. I love Kathrine Kerr and Robin Hobb as well.

  3. Saying Thanks:

    noman (September 21st, 2018),  Siphon (September 21st, 2018)  

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Of all the things Ive lost, I miss my mind the most!
    poiromaniax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Norwood, JHB
    Posts
    812
    Experience

    Default

    Im waiting to start book 3 of the series (read: waiting for it to arrive)

    I honestly found Magician to be a bit on the boring side, Silverthorn was much better IMO

  5. #14
    Oupa MJ INC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,347
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    I actually hope a little that they do blend the two together - if you read both series at the same time they blend. What affects one, affects the other world as well. If they blend the two, it could work, but then they need a production and set that needs to be semi impressive.


    I read it the first time in about Std 5/6 (but I will add that I had read The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit by age 10)
    And just a month or two ago I finished the series again. I reread the books about every 2 years.



    I honestly cant tell you why I was struggling with the Mazalan series so much, I tried again in Jan to try and read it. Im currently trying The White series from Trudi Canavan again - I prefer her Black Magician series as well.
    I will get the Stephen Marley - I have made a note, want to find more fantasy authors. I love Kathrine Kerr and Robin Hobb as well.
    The biggest issue with the malazan books is pacing. The first ⅔ to ľ of the book is like being driven by a 90 year old lady in a 2cv. The last part of each book is the complete opposite with just insane endings

  6. Saying Thanks:

    Wyvern (September 25th, 2018)  

  7. #15
    Very Senior Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Wyvern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,297
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    The biggest issue with the malazan books is pacing. The first ⅔ to ľ of the book is like being driven by a 90 year old lady in a 2cv. The last part of each book is the complete opposite with just insane endings
    And that is why I never got past chapter 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •