Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed on monitor

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    There are negatives and positives to both. On the budget end you're probably better off with a monitor. It's rare to get any info on input response times on budget TVs, but most any monitor will offer a good experience. From a picture quality perspective, on face value a TV will be better, assuming it has a reasonably accurate preset. However monitors these days usually do offer a TV mode, better than using the expand levels option on consoles, since the stretching of the content is inherently inaccurate.
    Any thoughts on the Phillips Momentum 436M6VBPAB?

On paper it seems like a great inbetweener; 43", 4k, Adaptive sync, VESA display HDR 1000 certified, Ambiglow, 4ms response and dual source multi view.

But paper is one thing...

Oupa
    I love you Mr. Bubz.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Strifehart View Post
    HDMI to DVI cable/connector will work fine, you only lose the audio data in the conversion.
    Great. Would any convertor be compatible though? Have read people buying stuff on places eg. Takealot and them not being compatible with consoles.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAna View Post
    Any thoughts on the Phillips Momentum 436M6VBPAB?

On paper it seems like a great inbetweener; 43", 4k, Adaptive sync, VESA display HDR 1000 certified, Ambiglow, 4ms response and dual source multi view.

But paper is one thing...
    Low number of local dimming zones and relatively high black level with light output maxed means middling HDR performance - but then what are the alternatives at this size I suppose? The 4ms pixel response means nothing, they always use grey to grey figures (true pixel response is always much higher, also not to be confused with input response). I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a display, if that's the size screen you're looking for I don't believe there's that much in the way of current competition when it comes to HDR - but I'm also not clued up on monitors.

Super Moderator
    Best Mod 2010 + 2011
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPrince View Post
    It's the only way to play games, it's just an overall smoother and better experience.

Any decent entry level monitor will most likely be better than any TV you have.
    Until recently, my monitor has been the place to play. But been playing latest Tomb Raider and it by far looks better on my TV. Starting to believe my Monitor is not true HD or something. Unless it's on it's way out which would be odd. It's not so much the colours, it's more the pixels/Resolution that's bothering me. TV looks so much smoother and cleaner than my monitor. Still prefer playing on monitors cause it's less strain on the eye. Suppose it's time I look at getting a new Monitor.

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Low number of local dimming zones and relatively high black level with light output maxed means middling HDR performance - but then what are the alternatives at this size I suppose? The 4ms pixel response means nothing, they always use grey to grey figures (true pixel response is always much higher, also not to be confused with input response). I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a display, if that's the size screen you're looking for I don't believe there's that much in the way of current competition when it comes to HDR - but I'm also not clued up on monitors.
    Yes it's a bit of a jack of all trades type monitor which doubles up as a second TV. I wouldn't use this in a living room but as a gaming monitor that's used to watch some TV as well I think it would be great. Or perhaps in a small man cave scenario. I could find massive use in the multi source multi view though. Not a bad price either.

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAna View Post
    Yes it's a bit of a jack of all trades type monitor which doubles up as a second TV. I wouldn't use this in a living room but as a gaming monitor that's used to watch some TV as well I think it would be great. Or perhaps in a small man cave scenario. I could find massive use in the multi source multi view though. Not a bad price either.
    Is this available locally anywhere?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Riggidig View Post
    Kindof want to thread jack and ask, if you have a monitor with only a DVI input, is it necessary to get a monitor with an HDMI input, or can you just get an HDMI to DVI converter, as I've heard both HDMI and DVI support the same resolutions (only difference is DVI is just video compared to HDMI being both video and audio, obviously)?
    I currently do this. I game on a 24 inch PC monitor without an HDMI. I always game with headphones on so the sound loss isn't an issue for me. The picture quality is perfectly normal

Quote Originally Posted by Riggidig View Post
    Great. Would any convertor be compatible though? Have read people buying stuff on places eg. Takealot and them not being compatible with consoles.
    The HDMI to DVI goes into the monitor. I dont see how it wont be compatible with consoles. The HDMI cable goes into the console. Im using one that came with my graphics card so I cant comment on the third party ones
    Last edited by Nadir; September 25th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

8. Saying Thanks:

Riggidig (September 25th, 2018)  

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    Is this available locally anywhere?
    Haven't seen it anywhere locally. But I haven't looked very hard. Philips don't seem to have a local presence though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12