Thread: Laptop recommendations for streaming

YNWA
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default Laptop recommendations for streaming

Hey everyone

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a laptop that can stream at a high quality, and also good for general use (like typing for long periods). I know a desktop would be better, but being mobile is crucial for me.

I'm looking for something with an I7 CPU, 16gb RAM, and minimum 15.6" in size. Budget is about R25 000.

(Gaming is secondary, so the GPU is not essential).

I have a few on the wish list, but I've never delved into the world of high-end laptops before, so unaware of the practical side like cooling, screen quality and such.

Thanks to anyone who suggests anything.

Very Senior Member
    why are you reading this and not my post?
    Experience

When you say streaming, you want to stream to the laptop or live stream from the laptop?

If you can squeeze your budget a bit, I would recommend a Macbook pro( without the touchbar probably, not really need it). They are expensive, but they are serious quality. I've had mine now for almost 4 years, its the mid 2014 13" retina model, and it is as fast and stable as it was the day I got it. battery life is one of the best, screen is amazing and typing on it for long periods is comfortable and easy.

Though you want 15" with a i7, thats way out your budget for macbook.

All other brands are basically the same then, though I personally prefer Dells, their build quality to me is good.
    Hidden Content
    Visit Hidden Content for my Blog as a Saffa in Namibia

3. Saying Thanks:

DWSpider-Man (October 2nd, 2018),  SPR1NGBOKKE (October 3rd, 2018)  

YNWA
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by leGendSouTi View Post
    When you say streaming, you want to stream to the laptop or live stream from the laptop?

If you can squeeze your budget a bit, I would recommend a Macbook pro( without the touchbar probably, not really need it). They are expensive, but they are serious quality. I've had mine now for almost 4 years, its the mid 2014 13" retina model, and it is as fast and stable as it was the day I got it. battery life is one of the best, screen is amazing and typing on it for long periods is comfortable and easy.

Though you want 15" with a i7, thats way out your budget for macbook.

All other brands are basically the same then, though I personally prefer Dells, their build quality to me is good.
    Thanks for the input.

I meant for streaming from the laptop, but it's only a face-cam.

I'll have a look at the Macbook though. If I'm sold and it means I need to save for a bit longer, so be it

Game IDs
    Experience

Just be careful, the newer Macbooks (2016 onwards) are not as well made as the older ones. I've had quite a lot of issues with mine. Most laptops in that price range will be powerful enough to handle streaming just your face, though admittedly I'm not sure what kind of content you'd stream like that.

Usually you need something more powerful if you want to stream games, because then it needs to render the game and handle the output stream.

How long would you like this laptop to last? If you don't mind getting something new in about 3-5 years, then you can go for any of the "gaming" brand laptops - so look at Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Personally, I'd get a Dell Inspiron or something similar - mainly because their warranty is great.
    Hidden Content
    Steam: PottyZA Xbox: PottyZA PSN: Potty-ZA

6. Saying Thanks:

DWSpider-Man (October 8th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    Experience

Macbook Pro is the way forward.

8. Saying Thanks:

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

For R25k you should easily get something to suit your needs. In fact I think you could do it for R15k of you are willing to import and get something a bit older but still great.

Acer Nitro 5 has i5 7300HQ with a 1050Ti for $700.

Amazon ship to SA. Total cost with duties etc comes to R13k.

10. Saying Thanks:

DWSpider-Man (October 8th, 2018),  ngwane (October 3rd, 2018)  

Addicted Member
    Everything...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAna View Post
    For R25k you should easily get something to suit your needs. In fact I think you could do it for R15k of you are willing to import and get something a bit older but still great.

Acer Nitro 5 has i5 7300HQ with a 1050Ti for $700.

Amazon ship to SA. Total cost with duties etc comes to R13k.
    Got an i7 8550, 16gb ram, 1tb hdd+ 256gb ssd, and 1050gfx 4gb laptop for around 15k from Amazon. Shipped in about a week

12. Saying Thanks:

YNWA
    Game IDs
    Experience

Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the advice everyone.