Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To upgrade or not

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    At that budget you don't have a monitor that does more than 1080p60hz anyway so who cares if the games bottleneck at 80-100fps. Besides if you ever feel the need, especially on the ryzen board, you can always put in a cpu with more cores and threads later down the line.

Also a few months ago one of the bigger youtubers did do a bottleneck test and the results were surprising. The 1% lows were lower but they managed to get a G4560 and GTX1080 to give a decent performance.
    I know this is old, but thought you might find it interesting. Also, Gamers Nexus timing of their video was convenient, as it was exactly my scenario. I got the 1080 first, because i simply couldnt pass it up. R5k on Carb and it was from a banker who used it once or twice but decided gaming wasnt for him. I had it on my Sandy Bridge i7 2700K CPU running at 4.8Ghz on air, never even going over 65 degrees.

The bottlenecking I had to get a smooth 60fps at 1080p was mind blowing. Some games like DOOM rocked but a few were horrific as they murdered my CPU, even at that speed. HITMAN, No Mans Sky, AC Origins/Odessey, Monster Hunter World and SOtTR were the biggest culprits.

I have now upgraded to the R5 2600x and the increase in performance is mind blowing. The AC games are up by as much as 30fps. HITMAN went from 40-60fps to 100fps plus. NMS is finally as smooth as butter. The other two now never dip below 60 and are smooth as well. Nevermind how fast things like alt tab and alt f4 are now. It's utter bliss.

I completely disagree with them saying its a lateral upgrade from i7 2600k to Ryzen. Completely disagree. I'm so blown away by this little chip and Im super happy AMD is back. Rumours are the 3000 series is gonna be madness. Not totally on point with newer CPU's but yeah, how is that for a bottleneck disappearing?

Honestly I wish I could have gone 8700k but man it's expensive. And im sorry I aint buying an i5, cause it was like 2k more for the 8600k. Anyway, are you going 9900k? Did you? Been out the loop a bit.

“Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jer1cho View Post
    I know this is old, but thought you might find it interesting. Also, Gamers Nexus timing of their video was convenient, as it was exactly my scenario. I got the 1080 first, because i simply couldnt pass it up. R5k on Carb and it was from a banker who used it once or twice but decided gaming wasnt for him. I had it on my Sandy Bridge i7 2700K CPU running at 4.8Ghz on air, never even going over 65 degrees.

The bottlenecking I had to get a smooth 60fps at 1080p was mind blowing. Some games like DOOM rocked but a few were horrific as they murdered my CPU, even at that speed. HITMAN, No Mans Sky, AC Origins/Odessey, Monster Hunter World and SOtTR were the biggest culprits.

I have now upgraded to the R5 2600x and the increase in performance is mind blowing. The AC games are up by as much as 30fps. HITMAN went from 40-60fps to 100fps plus. NMS is finally as smooth as butter. The other two now never dip below 60 and are smooth as well. Nevermind how fast things like alt tab and alt f4 are now. It's utter bliss.

I completely disagree with them saying its a lateral upgrade from i7 2600k to Ryzen. Completely disagree. I'm so blown away by this little chip and Im super happy AMD is back. Rumours are the 3000 series is gonna be madness. Not totally on point with newer CPU's but yeah, how is that for a bottleneck disappearing?

Honestly I wish I could have gone 8700k but man it's expensive. And im sorry I aint buying an i5, cause it was like 2k more for the 8600k. Anyway, are you going 9900k? Did you? Been out the loop a bit.
    Just personal curiosity, but what Monitor are you running?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Just personal curiosity, but what Monitor are you running?
    It's only a Dell S27H or something 1080p 60 monitor, but its a good indication of the cpu bottleneck. Aiming to get new monitor in Jan. Going 1440p. It will be a slightly lower gain cause the card will be stressed a lot more, but yeah at 1080p the difference is huge. From my old rig anyway. Going from a 970 to 1080 made so little difference lol. It was an amazing CPU going on 7 years old. Was just time, and the stars kinda aligned for me to do the upgrade.
    Last edited by Jer1cho; December 8th, 2018 at 02:50 PM.

4. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (December 8th, 2018)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12