Thread: Universal remote solutions

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Universal remote solutions

Iím looking for recommendations for a good universal remote solution that is hopefully available locally. Something that will be able to control a Smart TV (LG c7), a DSTV Explora, AV Receiver (Harmon Kardon) and it would be a bonus if could control the Apple TV and Aircon unit as well . The LG remote is gorgeous, and promises some form of universal control, but itís glitchy and I canít get it to control DSTV or my amplifier (old amp with no HDMI, and the DSTV is piped through the house via CAT 6 cable, not sure if that has any impact). Years ago (like 10 years ago!), I invested in a bells and whistles Logitech Harmony remote but itís large and clunky, refuses to hold a charge and just feels out-dated and unattractive to work with.

Game IDs
    Experience

Harmony Elite? Works with all my equipment as well as my blinds and lights. It does require charging every three days or so, but easy enough to just place it on its cradle at the end of the night. There is a battery indicator so you know where you stand at a glance.
    Last edited by KenMasters; October 12th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.

3. Saying Thanks:

Sybawoods (October 12th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Harmony Elite? Works with all my equipment as well as my blind and lights. It does require charging every three days or so, but easy enough to just place it on its cradle at the end of the night. There is a battery indicator so you know where you stand at a glance.
    Thank you, will take a look. I got the Logitech Harmony One circa 2008, also with charging cradle etc - worked well for 3 or 4 years and was the "one remote to rule them all", but with appliances changing, battery giving issues etc, I just gave up on it.

Experience

I also stuck with the Harmony One for about 5 years (2010 to 2015) - it worked great initially, but over time the whole family grew tired of its quirks (At random times it would get extremely laggy and not send all the commands for an activity, incompatible with newer devices, and positioning of certain buttons made it a little uncomfortable to handle with one hand)

Since 2016, I've been using the Harmony Smart Remote (currently using 3 throughout the house). And they've worked like a charm - much more responsive than the One, it's smaller, has a great button layout (a more simplified design) and the device library is regularly updated.

I purchased all of them from Amazon US, but you might find a few in stock from these stores > https://www.pricecheck.co.za/search?...y+Smart+Remote (Although it's priced at around R1200 on Amazon at the moment - so probably the better deal)

Keep in mind that there are quite a few models: two without a LCD screen (Smart & Home), and three with a screen (Ultimate, Pro & Elite). All models come with a little hub, and your phone/s can also be used as additional remotes (connects via wifi network).
    Last edited by Blungy2; October 13th, 2018 at 12:53 AM.

6. Saying Thanks:

Sybawoods (October 13th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Be prepared to spend a bit of time on the setup initially. It's easy to add equipment but from there's a lot to tweak, you're not going to get the best performance out of the remote without spending time to figure out how best to co-ordinate devices and fine tune the remote's command system - repeats, delays etc.