Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: help choosing a Budget entry 4k gaming tv

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Just curious, if all I'm looking for is a screen for (console) gaming purposes, then wouldn't it be better to just buy a gaming monitor?
    Not really, if you can get a TV with input lag under 16ms you won't tell a difference.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Just curious, if all I'm looking for is a screen for (console) gaming purposes, then wouldn't it be better to just buy a gaming monitor?
    Get a < 50 inch TV over a monitor.

make sure it's true 10bit and has HDR where the max nits is as high as possible - over 1000 NITS would be ideal, but those are few and far between with the crap we get offered on the SA market.

I think the NU8000 series from samsung is bang for buck in this department. Especially for a gaming only "monitor"

There are no great priced 4K true 10bit true HDR monitors in SA. If you can find the 1000nits ones they are like crazy expensive

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    Not really, if you can get a TV with input lag under 16ms you won't tell a difference.
    Monitors are typically between 10-30ms on the console input lag front, in my experience anything from around the mid 20s down feels great. I think it's only if you fancy yourself a bit of a pro and take your display to competitive LAN events, you'll want 16ms and below. Not because I think you'll actually feel a difference (which is the important part to me) but because it does offer a nominal competitive edge.

For those interested, the figures we're throwing out here are only relevant to a 60Hz input.

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    Get a < 50 inch TV over a monitor.

make sure it's true 10bit and has HDR where the max nits is as high as possible - over 1000 NITS would be ideal, but those are few and far between with the crap we get offered on the SA market.
    Couple of issues, why do you have to have a "true" 10 bit display, and how would you know if it was or not? 1000 nits on a 10% window is a requirement for LCDs along with a black level of 0.05 nits - this has lead to manufacturers targeting 10% windows specifically, and with edge lit displays that black level is not achievable alongside that peak diluting the spec somewhat.

OLED requirements are also different, a peak of 500 nits and a black level of 0.0005 nits.
    Last edited by KenMasters; November 27th, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

4. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (November 27th, 2018)  

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567