Thread: Aircon Installation

Addicted Member
    Everything...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Selecta View Post
    Howzit Forumites

Considering getting aircons.

Anything I need to be aware of, hidden costs, etc? Any certificates I need to ask for?

Thanks!
    1. Places to aircon and get right size for the place (dont oversize)

2. Location of aircon in the room is important for draught and comfort feel

3. Ensure installer has SAQCC registration if independent (he might be registered with SARACCA as well)

4. Wire to DB with own isolator, like stated before

5. Inverter compressor units will have efficiency and cost savings

2. Saying Thanks:

Neptune (November 13th, 2018),  Selecta (November 13th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    *insert thought here*
    Game IDs
    Experience

They are coming to install my unit in my bedroom tomorrow, just doing mine directly through Samsung and their installers, 12000btu Samsung inverter, unit, installation and isolator with CoC with a back to back install.

The install was R1800, the isolator and wiring R1800 and unit R9700.

You can do up to an 18000 BTU inverter without the CoC and Isolator, directly into plug. But if you ever want to sell your house no matter the size of aircon you need the CoC so then you'll have to rewire the aircon into you DB anyway with the isolator. Just do it from the start I say.

Hidden costs might the copper and trunking(which is hellish expensive) and as mentioned the Isolator. Otherwise it should be a straight forward affair, pick your unit according to room size see where you want the inside unit and compressor outside and go for it.

4. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (November 13th, 2018)  

Addicted Member
    I don't know the cool kids haven't placed me yet...
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    For 9000 BTU and less, the installers will probably run the power to nearest plug as it is allowed, but this is just KAK! Preferably you would want them to wire into DB board. The installer gave me quote for R1700 incl materials and labour to do it. So make sure you tell them upfront you want wired into DB board with own breaker, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nucleous View Post
    They are coming to install my unit in my bedroom tomorrow, just doing mine directly through Samsung and their installers, 12000btu Samsung inverter, unit, installation and isolator with CoC with a back to back install.

The install was R1800, the isolator and wiring R1800 and unit R9700.

You can do up to an 18000 BTU inverter without the CoC and Isolator, directly into plug. But if you ever want to sell your house no matter the size of aircon you need the CoC so then you'll have to rewire the aircon into you DB anyway with the isolator. Just do it from the start I say.

Hidden costs might the copper and trunking(which is hellish expensive) and as mentioned the Isolator. Otherwise it should be a straight forward affair, pick your unit according to room size see where you want the inside unit and compressor outside and go for it.
    I'm getting 2x9000 and 1x12000.

One of the installers says I don't need an isolator since they can go into a wall plug?

Addicted Member
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Selecta View Post
    I'm getting 2x9000 and 1x12000.

One of the installers says I don't need an isolator since they can go into a wall plug?
    Yes you don't need one, but you can insist on one. Trust me, pay the extra and have them wire into DB board.

If those are inverter ACs, then they can all run on a single 20amp circuit breaker. Each one will have an isolator outside where the compressor is.

7. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (November 14th, 2018)  

Addicted Member
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Yes you don't need one, but you can insist on one. Trust me, pay the extra and have them wire into DB board.

If those are inverter ACs, then they can all run on a single 20amp circuit breaker. Each one will have an isolator outside where the compressor is.
    I'll make sure bud, thanks.

Addicted Member
    Experience

Another question guys.

If I source my own aircons, do I also need to get the piping, cabling sleeving?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12