Thread: Looking for a AV receiver with ...everything!

Experience

Question Looking for a AV receiver with ...everything!

So as nice and minimalistic as the samsung k950 soundbar is it comes with what I would consider some glaring flaws. It's a 5.1.4 system which works well but there is a definite input lag when it comes to sound especially dolby atmos not to mention it is absent from the anything passed through the TV.

So what am I looking for? Well I want a receiver that is capable of the major video formats: HDR10, DV, HGL, and RGB 4:4:4 passthrough at 4k or UHD will be good to have.
    Next up I want sound formats and specifically I want dolby atmos and dts x to be supported.
    Speaker arrangements? Well I would like to keep atleast the 5.1.4 config with a center speaker, and 4 forward and upfiring speakers which means the receiver needs to support those as well.

Obviously it would be easy to just say spend R50k and get the best but I want it to fall within a decent budget so R20k is the preferred limit.

Can anyone make recommendations? I also would prefer smaller satellites.
    LG OLED 55E6V|Samsung K950
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

You can pass RGB 4:4:4 at 4k (if you want to use your TV as a monitor, though not recommended with an OLED) but not in Ultra HD.

A 9ch AVR will be upwards of R30 000. In the AV world 50k will not get you the best, but it will get you into the upper bracket of the larger AVR brands (I would suggest going with Denon or Marantz, since they offer the best room compensation systems at that price). If you're spending money on a proper AVR you need to bear in mind the cost of decent speakers if you want to do the purchase justice.

The most cost effective and potentially best sounding solution in a smaller room is to buy good bookshelf speakers and pair them with a good sub (preferably two). The bookshelves should either come with Atmos modules fitted or optional Atmos modules. Of course at this point you might also want to consider simply adding proper in ceiling Atmos speakers (enabled are good for low, reflective ceilings, otherwise in-ceiling speakers should be considered).

What bookshelf options you have are limited to Atmos offerings if you want to go the Enabled route (bounce off ceiling) and vary in price, many nice offerings in the segment, for the full layout you're approaching or exceeding the cost of the AVR. (EDIT: satellites are an option, but the only quality enabled ones I'm aware of are the Focal Sib Evos, but you mentioned to me that they're not available in S.A. If you go the in-ceiling route, that opens up your satellite options e.g. KEF E301).

A proper sub is one that can reproduce sound down to around 20Hz linearly, SVS is considered to offer the best bang for buck. You're looking at a starting price of around R14 000.
    Last edited by KenMasters; November 14th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

3. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (November 14th, 2018),  MJ INC (November 14th, 2018)  

Experience

There's (or at least there was) a very knowledgeable guy called Vaughan at Smart Lifestyle (https://smartlifestyle.co.za/). I'm sure he could give you some advice too and local pricing.

5. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (November 14th, 2018)  

Experience

Gonna give it a look because I want small speakers with upfiring and forward firing drivers for atmos.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Vaughan's a good guy, I know him from the SA AVForums and he helped me put together a modest system for my folks when I was down last year.

8. Saying Thanks:

onelargeprawn (November 14th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default Looking for a AV receiver with ...everything!

Yup another vote for Vaughan as the local legend in Cape Town.

Here’s his email if you want it.

First name @ smartlifestyle.co.za
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Thing is I'm thinking go for the Denon AVR X2400H or X2500H although I can't see a difference. Then I just need speakers to go with it but its a 7.1 so guessing for atmos it is a 5.1.2. Might want to look for a 9.1 or 11.1 so I can go 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. But I can't get myself to spend that much on components ...yet...

Think I should look at my PC then rethink my position.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Thing is I'm thinking go for the Denon AVR X2400H or X2500H although I can't see a difference...
    It's the same AVR, just different release years - 2017 vs 2018.

Experience

Had a look at the N950. If that was available locally I'd rather have gone that route. At the end of the day I want as many features as possible but I also want simplicity. The data on the N950 is conflicting though. Some people say atmos can be sent over arc, some says it converts it to DD+. Also trying to figure out if it can support dolby vision which AVForums claim it does but I cannot pick up anything like that on samsungs site itself.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Some people say atmos can be sent over arc, some says it converts it to DD+.
    Not perhaps a misunderstanding on your part? Since Atmos, when talking Blu-ray, is delivered through Dolby True HD but with streaming services it's delivered through DD+.

According to these owners it passes DV and offers Atmos over ARC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Soundbars/c..._samsung_n950/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...l#post56647834