Thread: Darksiders 3

Addicted Member
    Wait.... What???
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default Darksiders 3

So coming off God of War, I figured I would have high expectations, and with Darksiders 3 still a few months away after I finished God of War, I decided to get the Deathinitive edition of Darksiders 2 for PS4, and found myself completely blown away again by what a fantastic game it was

Don't get me wrong, it was not perfect, but it was an incredibly good game, especially for something that is over six years old, and it reminded my why I loved the Darksiders franchise, and what sets it apart from the Juggernaut that is God of War

Having finished Darksiders 2 again, I was now more excited than ever to get the third installment in the series, but knew that it would have some big shoes to fill for me personally, because Death is my favorite of the Horseman by a long shot

I got Darksiders 3 on launch day, and what I experienced was a game that launched with terrible frame rate, screen tearing, and an overwhelming stench of Dark Souls. It feels like the devs broke the recipe by trying to reinvent the wheel on something that wasn't broken.

They could have pretty much given me a copy and paste of Darksiders 2 with a new storyline, some new mechanics, and a new protagonist, and I would have been extremely happy, but they took too many aspects from other games to try and create something more frustrating than anything else

Not everyone would agree that this is a bad thing, but I am not a massive fan, and I feel let down by one of my favorite franchises in more ways than one. If I wanted something unforgiving, and Dark Souls like, I would go and play Dark Souls, or Demon Souls, or Nioh, or Bloodborne, pretty much anything that was unforgiving in nature that resembled a soul system where everything resets when I die, I lose all of my currency, and need to re-clear everything up to the point where I died, just to get my souls back.

It's a mechanic that works in the aforementioned Souls universe that honestly has no place in a Darksiders game. I wanted Darksiders, not Soulsiders 3 - NiohBorne. Fury is a very unlikable protagonist, and I believe some of the fan base will struggle to connect with her, vs how they did with War and Death, and movement feels off compared to the fluidness of the last two installments. Visuals feel very lacking for a 2018 installment, given the hardware capabilities of both Xbox One X, and Playstation 4 Pro, and what God of War was able to achieve on PS4 Pro. I get that it's a different art style, but it could have looked more next gen than it does, especially on the Pro.

These are my personal opinions of the game so far, and I do not expect anyone to agree with them, and your views might differ greatly from mine

What has your experience been like with the third installment of the Darksiders Franchise, and what do you like, or what don't you like about Darksiders 3 compared to previous installments?
    Last edited by Arcanecynic; December 3rd, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Humanity's a failed experiment, walking the path to extinction.The earth will shake and the waters will rise. The elements reclaim what was taken.

Super Moderator
    Best Mod 2010 + 2011
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

I didn't get the game and won't, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt..

I never got the game cause from what I saw it looked like a 5 year old game remastered from PS3 Gen to PS4 gen.
    Darksiders 2 was really bad, I never enjoyed it, Darksiders 1 was amazing. This game looked like nothing new and exciting.

Yeah that's where I'm coming from.

3. Saying Thanks:

noman (December 4th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    *insert thought here*
    Game IDs
    Experience

I spent some time last night with Darksiders 3 on PC, I had none of the screen tearing and bad frame rates everybody complains about on console, to the gameplay, it's so bad.... Fury looked like she would be a fast paced good character to control like Bayonetta type but instead she feels even more clunky than War ever did, only on the 2nd Sin and doubt I'm even going to finish this damn game. The cutscenes are boring, everything just feels slow and bleh.

Fury health also a problem, I've yet to die but been really close couple of times this due to the stupid camera when locked on and enemies strike you from beyond where the camera can see, the lock on switching between enemies also not working well.

The problems just go on and on. Just a disappointment I think after this game we will never see the last Riders game.

Game IDs
    Experience

The dodge mechanics look cool af, waiting for the game to be fixed before jumping in.

PSN ID - Ibuki-Lord

Hidden Content

Addicted Member
    Wait.... What???
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nucleous View Post
    I spent some time last night with Darksiders 3 on PC, I had none of the screen tearing and bad frame rates everybody complains about on console, to the gameplay, it's so bad.... Fury looked like she would be a fast paced good character to control like Bayonetta type but instead she feels even more clunky than War ever did, only on the 2nd Sin and doubt I'm even going to finish this damn game. The cutscenes are boring, everything just feels slow and bleh.

Fury health also a problem, I've yet to die but been really close couple of times this due to the stupid camera when locked on and enemies strike you from beyond where the camera can see, the lock on switching between enemies also not working well.

The problems just go on and on. Just a disappointment I think after this game we will never see the last Riders game.
    Agreed. The camera when locked on is terrible, and the dodge mechanics and movements feel incredibly clunky. Also agree on the health problems. Fury feels very squishy for a Horseman of the Apocalypse. I just defeated Greed, and currently on character level 13. No matter how well timed most of my dodging was in the Greed fight, the he still pounded me into oblivion a few times because of how clunky the mechanics feel.
    Humanity's a failed experiment, walking the path to extinction.The earth will shake and the waters will rise. The elements reclaim what was taken.

7. Saying Thanks:

nucleous (December 6th, 2018)  

Experience

Very sad to hear. I was so looking forward to this, Darksiders 2 was a BRILLIANT game, and I finished it 3 times. Best puzzles and level design was amazing.

It frustrates me how Dark Souls has influenced the gaming world. Suddenly every new game is trying to be like dark souls, even the AC franchise altered their combat to be more like dark souls. In their case, it worked, but to try the same with Darksiders...what a dismal pity. Guess l'll have to buy Darksiders 2 again and finish it for the 4th time...
    Last edited by Shazaam; December 4th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.

Addicted Member
    Wait.... What???
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Very sad to hear. I was so looking forward to this, Darksiders 2 was a BRILLIANT game, and I finished it 3 times. Best puzzles and level design was amazing.

It frustrates me how Dark Souls has influenced the gaming world. Suddenly every new game is trying to be like dark souls, even the AC franchise altered their combat to be more like dark souls. In their case, it worked, but to try the same with Darksiders...what a dismal pity. Guess l'll have to buy Darksiders 2 again and finish it for the 4th time...
    So having just killed Gluttony, I have established the following

If you loved Darksiders 1 and 2 like I did, and you wanted a fun Darksiders 3 experience, just play the game on easy. I say this, not having played a game on easy ever in my life, and having completed every game in the Souls series (apart from Dark Souls 2) but when I want to strap in for one of those experiences, I play those exact games, and their mechanics work WITH the difficulty, whereas Darksiders 3's only dodge mechanic works completely against the difficulty, making it seem more tedious than rewarding.

After losing my cool about half way to Sloth, I just decided to switch the difficulty to easy, and what a difference that made in my life. I actually started enjoying the game, and the story, and could appreciate what they tried to do, and it actually felt like a Darksiders game for the first time since I started playing

While this might not be for everyone, and you may chose to struggle endlessly with a dodge only system that works against the player, I play for myself, not for anyone else, and dropping the difficulty injected some much needed life into this game for me, and I am now thoroughly enjoying it.