Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Maximum Effort Gaming Store Durban

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    0
    Experience

    Default

    Haha some of you guys are too savage...��

    The website was created by someone who has never created websites before. If you have any recommendations on how we can improve the site feel free to inbox us.

  2. #22
    Gaming Wizard Lord of the Pies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PE
    Posts
    7,827
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Effort Gaming View Post
    Haha some of you guys are too savage...��

    The website was created by someone who has never created websites before. If you have any recommendations on how we can improve the site feel free to inbox us.
    Shopify is perfect for people new to making websites. That is no excuse for not having an impeccable site.

    First, start with the right theme. Empire from the official Shopify theme store looks perfect for your needs:

    https://themes.shopify.com/themes/em...les/industrial

    Here are two of their demo sites as examples:
    https://empire-theme-graphic.myshopify.com/
    https://empire-theme-industrial.myshopify.com/

    That's the sort of layout people expect from a gaming store, with the search function front and centre and a more convenient layout that supports lots of smaller banners. The mega menu in the first example above looks great.

    The main thing is to just use common sense with regards to what looks good. The second something looks janky as hell and out of place for a professional site - stop doing that and try something else. Shopify is not holding your website back one bit, that I can guarantee. You can stay with it forever - it's a really fantastic platform and is well supported locally by PayFast, PayGate and uAfrica (for shipping).

    Here are some issues I notice right off the bat:

    - Ditch the current logo asap and pay someone on Fiverr or Crowdspring to make you a better one. Or just buy a logo off Envato or some such marketplace. Also get a logo with sensible proportions. Next time don't have mismatched padding when implementing it.
    - The shade of red sucks. Don't use colours that look like they come off the default MS Paint colour palette.
    - Use a more professional font. That Kalam being used atm makes my eyes bleed. Open Sans or anything really would be a huge improvement.
    - The underlined sections on product pages needs to go. Super bad.
    - All product images and all collection images should have the exact same aspect ratio. To the pixel. This is what makes collection and product pages look good to a large extent.
    - Don't say 'Footer menu' in the footer menu
    - Don't say 'Powered by Shopify' in the footer either
    - There shouldn't be a comma after the copyright symbol
    - A slightly off-black background colour will probably look better than straight black
    - Ensure your website has contact details available. Email, address, location etc. If you try advertising on Google Shopping you can actually get banned for not displaying such info. People don't trust websites that look like they have something to hide, so no point not having it.

    When your business name is Maximum Effort, anything less than max effort on display compromises your brand completely.

    Best of luck!
    Last edited by Lord of the Pies; December 7th, 2018 at 09:47 PM.

  3. Saying Thanks:

    $eR8Ed (December 10th, 2018),  Lantern (December 10th, 2018),  Maximum Effort Gaming (December 11th, 2018),  nykfist (December 8th, 2018)  

  4. #23
    Oupa
    ALL DAY SON
    Boquito17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    6,611
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    ^ those are some really good pointers, I'd agree with most of them.

    If you're looking for a small company that can help you out at a decent rate (relative to other options), I have a contact, just drop a PM.

    Although, if that website was built by someone with little prior experience, I'd expect he would not struggle implementing suggestions as per the post above.

    Best of luck guys!

  5. Saying Thanks:

    Lantern (December 10th, 2018),  Maximum Effort Gaming (December 11th, 2018)  

  6. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    0
    Experience

    Default

    Thank you so much for the feedback guys. We will definitely have a look at all the recommendations.

    Thanks once again.

  7. #25
    Very Senior Member sesh17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    1,160
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    Shopify is perfect for people new to making websites. That is no excuse for not having an impeccable site.

    First, start with the right theme. Empire from the official Shopify theme store looks perfect for your needs:

    https://themes.shopify.com/themes/em...les/industrial

    Here are two of their demo sites as examples:
    https://empire-theme-graphic.myshopify.com/
    https://empire-theme-industrial.myshopify.com/

    That's the sort of layout people expect from a gaming store, with the search function front and centre and a more convenient layout that supports lots of smaller banners. The mega menu in the first example above looks great.

    The main thing is to just use common sense with regards to what looks good. The second something looks janky as hell and out of place for a professional site - stop doing that and try something else. Shopify is not holding your website back one bit, that I can guarantee. You can stay with it forever - it's a really fantastic platform and is well supported locally by PayFast, PayGate and uAfrica (for shipping).

    Here are some issues I notice right off the bat:

    - Ditch the current logo asap and pay someone on Fiverr or Crowdspring to make you a better one. Or just buy a logo off Envato or some such marketplace. Also get a logo with sensible proportions. Next time don't have mismatched padding when implementing it.
    - The shade of red sucks. Don't use colours that look like they come off the default MS Paint colour palette.
    - Use a more professional font. That Kalam being used atm makes my eyes bleed. Open Sans or anything really would be a huge improvement.
    - The underlined sections on product pages needs to go. Super bad.
    - All product images and all collection images should have the exact same aspect ratio. To the pixel. This is what makes collection and product pages look good to a large extent.
    - Don't say 'Footer menu' in the footer menu
    - Don't say 'Powered by Shopify' in the footer either
    - There shouldn't be a comma after the copyright symbol
    - A slightly off-black background colour will probably look better than straight black
    - Ensure your website has contact details available. Email, address, location etc. If you try advertising on Google Shopping you can actually get banned for not displaying such info. People don't trust websites that look like they have something to hide, so no point not having it.

    When your business name is Maximum Effort, anything less than max effort on display compromises your brand completely.

    Best of luck!
    I am guessing by the name and the look (red) the website is going for the comic book feel ie. deadpool

  8. #26
    Gaming Wizard Lord of the Pies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PE
    Posts
    7,827
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sesh17 View Post
    I am guessing by the name and the look (red) the website is going for the comic book feel ie. deadpool
    Yeah, but a website must look good no matter what. There are many shades of red and black to choose from, and many other aspects of web design that would increase the aesthetic appeal and by extension the site's trustworthiness.

  9. Saying Thanks:

    sesh17 (December 10th, 2018)  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •