Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS3 Breaking (Overheating?) - Repair or Replace?

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by thecrowing View Post
    It still has Scott Pilgrim vs the world: The Game installed and the TMNT: Turtles in Time those games can no longer be downloaded off the store for some retarded reason.
    You can still download Scott Pilgrim if you previously bought it, it'll be in your download list.

I did it about a year ago for my nephew, who now has my PS3.

Gaming Wizard
    Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nykfist View Post
    You can still download Scott Pilgrim if you previously bought it, it'll be in your download list.

I did it about a year ago for my nephew, who now has my PS3.
    I tried earlier this year and it's no longer in my download list

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by thecrowing View Post
    I tried earlier this year and it's no longer in my download list
    Dude I'll test this when I get home.
    I checked the install date and it says: 20/01/17... So I guess it was way more than 1 year ago. Time flies as they say
    Last edited by nykfist; December 20th, 2018 at 07:48 PM.

4. Saying Thanks:

thecrowing (December 20th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    Lets count to a Million
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bbabraham View Post
    Okay so I bought my current PS3 on here nearly 7 years ago and it's been great. Think it's a 320GB slim. Recently it's started to switch off in the middle of playing with 3 beeps and go to the blinking red light. No warning on screen or anything. The frequency of this happening has increased to the point where it's now unplayable. It hasn't happened when on the XMB or anything - only happens in-game and seems to happen at times where the game is using a lot of resources - but not sure.

I thought it might be overheating as the days have been hot but my console stands on top of a surface with plenty space all around it and I've tried blowing room fans onto it and playing at night too. Last night I even watched videos on how and then opened it up but there really wasn't that much dust inside. Pretty minimal. I also did the eject button startup thing to run the fan on max for a few seconds and clean it out. So now I'm thinking it might be thermal paste or something internal that's beyond my abilities of just unscrewing some stuff.

Anyway, I'm still playing PS3 backlog games and enjoying it a lot so I'm keen to keep playing PS3. I bought it on here all those years ago plus like 20 games for R3000. My brief look on gumtree showed them going for nearly that price - with no idea how long it'll be until that console gives issues. So I'm thinking maybe repair is better - if not too pricey. Unless I can buy one cheaper somewhere?

Firstly - any idea on what the issue could be and any other things I could try?
    Secondly - to repair or replace?

@SLYGUY, I saw in another thread that you know a guy in JHB for repairs?
    This guy has been keeping my Ps3 alive for ages now hes in Ferndale/Randburg - Toni (011 3261301) (0843454000)

6. Saying Thanks:

bbabraham (December 22nd, 2018),  nykfist (December 22nd, 2018)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Spagett View Post
    I love DIY. This would be a cool little DIY project if I had this.

I managed to resurrect my PS1 slim this year and got it to work again. Man, GT2 did. not. age. well...
    @KarlLee why not buy a soldering kit to fix it? You selling it? :P
    I'm also the DIY type but from what I researched it is quite a complicated job and I didn't have the time. Will check it out again but willing to sell if I don't want to fix it. Will let you know

Oupa
    Sir King Kenny!
    Experience

Bad news. I opened up the PS3 and applied some fresh thermal paste but I'm still having the same issue. I can hear the fan isn't having to work nearly as hard so I'm sure the paste is doing its job but the PS3 is still switching off after 15 or 30 minutes of playing. Sigh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12