Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FNB international transactions

  1. #1
    Very Senior Member murfle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,009
    Experience

    Default FNB international transactions

    Did anyone else who banks with FNB get an SMS stating "to help protect your account", they have disabled international tranaction limits on your cards? Apparently I have to call the forex department 48 hours "before travel" to get the limit added.

    I tried to order something on the South African PlayStation store, but it counts as international (looking at you SK) so looks like I'll have to get a digital wallet top-up in order to get my game before the sale expires.

    Just wondering if FNB is "looking out" for everyone's safety, or if I'm singled out here...

  2. #2
    Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    AdrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    5,782
    Experience

    Default

    Can't comment on FNB because I'm SB. The SB app has option on account to set abroad dates and other details, maybe FNB app has something similar in the app? Worth a shot.

  3. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  4. #3
    Very Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    1,342
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    I've never had this on my FNB account, though I did get it once on my Nedbank account with paypal. I had to give them a call and confirm it was me who made the purchase.
    You know you about to fight the main Boss when the red dragon you fighting turn's & Say's **** this i'm outa here.

  5. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  6. #4
    Gaming Wizard millennia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,163
    Experience

    Default

    Never had that once and i've transferred a whack of money over the past 10 months.

    Also, the logic doesn't compute. To protect your account they're removing the limits? Surely the limits are there to protect you from overspending?

  7. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  8. #5
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    30,489
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default FNB international transactions

    Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    Did anyone else who banks with FNB get an SMS stating "to help protect your account", they have disabled international tranaction limits on your cards? Apparently I have to call the forex department 48 hours "before travel" to get the limit added.

    I tried to order something on the South African PlayStation store, but it counts as international (looking at you SK) so looks like I'll have to get a digital wallet top-up in order to get my game before the sale expires.

    Just wondering if FNB is "looking out" for everyone's safety, or if I'm singled out here...
    I would make sure this message actually comes from FNB.

    What is the problem with the store? Does the transaction not work or what?

    I have received no such message.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  9. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  10. #6
    Gaming Wizard
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Coldcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    31,088
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Never had such a thing before.

  11. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  12. #7
    Very Senior Member murfle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,009
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millennia View Post
    Also, the logic doesn't compute. To protect your account they're removing the limits? Surely the limits are there to protect you from overspending?
    The wording isn't accurate. They've not so much removed the limit but made it 0, or deactivated the ability to make international purchases.

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I would make sure this message actually comes from FNB.

    What is the problem with the store? Does the transaction not work or what?

    I have received no such message.
    Ya, its from FNB. The forex phone number they put on there is legit. I got my OTP for the transaction, and then got a failed message (can't recall), but it all adds up. Probably just FNB/SARS being jerks because I'm a foreigner...

  13. #8
    Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Uberutang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Between countries right now
    Posts
    29,034
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Absa has the same, I've never informed them of anything and been outside ZA for 3 years, using my CC, no issues.

  14. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

  15. #9
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    30,489
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murfle View Post
    The wording isn't accurate. They've not so much removed the limit but made it 0, or deactivated the ability to make international purchases.



    Ya, its from FNB. The forex phone number they put on there is legit. I got my OTP for the transaction, and then got a failed message (can't recall), but it all adds up. Probably just FNB/SARS being jerks because I'm a foreigner...
    Aaah being a foreigner that might be it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  16. Saying Thanks:

    murfle (December 20th, 2018)  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •