Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 7 - AMDs finest

Experience

Default Radeon 7 - AMDs finest

So CES happened and people were ...underwhelmed.

The Radeon 7 is clocked at 1.8Ghz, 16GB HBM memory modules, consumes the same amount of power as the Vega64 (so 230-250W) is 35% faster in content creator applications and about 25% faster than the Vega64 in games and puts it within the range of the 1080ti and the 2080 with gaming performance. Pricing however is also in line with Nvidia as the card is tagged for $700.

The Radeon 7 releases on 7 February and comes with RE2, DMC5 and The Division 2 as a bundle.

LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Experience

I agree because finally nvidia has competition in the high end space and proper competition. Sure it does not have RTX and ray tracing but with double the memory your textures can be a whole lot higher detailed.
    Hidden Content

Experience

An interesting and technical take on why the Vega VII exists:

Game IDs
    Experience

They should’ve gone GDDR6 and kept the price down, why would a gamer buy this instead of a 2080 if the price is the same? Not to mention a used 1080 Ti

Experience

If used cards always posed such a problem then there would not be a market for anything other than the top end. As far as the memory goes you get 16gb of the stuff compared the nvidias 8gb. The question now is are those people who said they arent gonna buy an RTX for a feature that halfs the frame rate or are they gonna go with the Radeon to keep speeds and have a monstrous amount of memory.
    Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Just as a side-bar, what's the point of massive amounts of memory that can't be fully utilized? How is said memory any different to the feature that can't be utilized because it tanks framerate? Both are technologies/features that increase the price without giving an immediate pay-off. Either you wait for nVidia to get RTX and DLSS fully up and going, or you wait for games to eventually use AMD's large memory capacity and speed.

I agree with the video when it says that the VII is more workstation oriented than gamer oriented, just like nVidia's card is more for render-work than gaming currently.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Experience

You have the wrong idea about. Higher quality textures does not affect frame rate unless you run out of said memory and start to see the texture swapping. Remember the entire 970 3.5GB thing? Once memory usage exceeded 3.5GB and it started using the slower 512mb you immediately started noticing drops in the frame rate. Not just that but once you passed the 4GB mark it became extremely noticable.

There is currently one 2 games that I know of that exceeds 8GB graphics memory and that is Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 15. The thing is FF15 even passes the 11GB mark at times and I've seen the drops that happen when it hits that point. RE2 on the demo said my memory usage will be 13GB but I never hit more than 9GB.

The thing at the end of the day is that people are pissed that 1080ti performance still costs the same as a 1080ti did 2 years ago be it a 2080 or a radeon 7 card. People expected 1080ti performance for the price of a 1080/2070 and it just didn't happen.

Just btw, ray tracing is open to AMD as well. RTX features includes DLSS but so far I've only seen it used in 4K. I would love DLSS to become an overall feature and replacement for TXAA and other AA options.
    Hidden Content

Experience

I’m actually excited for this gpu, checking for local pricing daily. My wife asked me what I want for my birthday (April) and I told her this lol.
    Samsung Q8CN - PS4 Pro - Xbox One X - Switch - Gaming PC - New 3DS XL

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

So instead of the 1 game currently available with RTX, we have 2 games that currently have higher than 8GB VRAM usage? I believe 8GB cards have been available for nearly 4-5 years. It took as that long just to start upping the stakes, so I'm still not sure how this is any better than paying the exact same price for a nVidia product that now features RT that doesn't fully work yet. By the time either the higher memory is repeatedly seeing use or RT is successfully being used, we're likely to be on the next generation cards, no? All the Early adopter arguments.

RT and DLSS may be open to AMD, but correct me if I'm wrong, they made it clear they wouldn't implement it unless all their cards could use it. If this includes their more budget oriented cards, I doubt it'll be soon.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    So instead of the 1 game currently available with RTX, we have 2 games that currently have higher than 8GB VRAM usage? I believe 8GB cards have been available for nearly 4-5 years. It took as that long just to start upping the stakes, so I'm still not sure how this is any better than paying the exact same price for a nVidia product that now features RT that doesn't fully work yet. By the time either the higher memory is repeatedly seeing use or RT is successfully being used, we're likely to be on the next generation cards, no? All the Early adopter arguments.

RT and DLSS may be open to AMD, but correct me if I'm wrong, they made it clear they wouldn't implement it unless all their cards could use it. If this includes their more budget oriented cards, I doubt it'll be soon.
    Well the big thing will be what happens when we look at the next gen consoles. Will PS5 and NXbox have the technology? If we look at the 2060 that card is capable of 60fps at 1080p. If games that will utilize ray tracing only run at 30fps on the next gen consoles they can do with half the RT cores of that card. The big thing is the denoising. A single ray trace pass frankly looks like ****.

At some point the tech should become cheaper. I am guessing however it won't be this year but next year we might see the first midrange cards support it. And if you are wondering why I don't see the 2060 as midrange its because the price is beyond what many people can afford.
    Hidden Content

11. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (January 15th, 2019)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast