Thread: New to PS4 Pro

Addicted Member
    Experience

Default New to PS4 Pro

Hey peeps, so i just got my first PS4 Pro and it didn't come with the original cables as i bought it second hand.

Is the cable that's shipped with the console different to the one that's shipped with the PS4 Slim?

Also would i benefit if I buy a "Premium HDMI cable" over using a normal HDMI cable?

Game IDs
    Experience

Just get any HDMI cable that is v2. 0 or higher certified. And you will be fine.

FYI most standard HDMI cables are v1. 4

3. Saying Thanks:

Cammybuu (January 10th, 2019),  SPR1NGBOKKE (January 11th, 2019),  Viking (January 10th, 2019)  

Ghost of Sparta
    ∆POLΧA☐Y
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goiki7 View Post
    Just get any HDMI cable that is v2. 0 or higher certified. And you will be fine.

FYI most standard HDMI cables are v1. 4
    My HDMI cable on the pro vs the one on the normal PS4 look identical so I never bothered swapping. If it works is there a point in changing?

Oupa
    Oh, is that an ancient Tibetan ritual dagger in your pocket?
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JoE View Post
    My HDMI cable on the pro vs the one on the normal PS4 look identical so I never bothered swapping. If it works is there a point in changing?
    It must be gold plated!

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JoE View Post
    All I am certain of is that the newer HDMI 2.0 and above are capable of higher data stream capabilities. Amongst other things.
    But the main thing is that outputting HDR 4K content to a competent TV/monitor is the reason for the newer version. I believe that is one of the major limitations of the older 1.4 standard.

As for your PS4 HDMI cable differences, your guess is as good as mine. Their is no marking or info on the cable at all to say what version they are. I can only assume the cable shipped with the pro is of a standard capable of utilising the full use of the pro.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cammybuu View Post
    Hey peeps, so i just got my first PS4 Pro and it didn't come with the original cables as i bought it second hand.

Is the cable that's shipped with the console different to the one that's shipped with the PS4 Slim?

Also would i benefit if I buy a "Premium HDMI cable" over using a normal HDMI cable?
    Are you plugging it into a 4K/HDR TV? If not the HDMI cable won't matter.

If you are it needs only be a High Speed HDMI cable and you can once again buy it from any corner store, a fancy brand name version at high cost will make no difference for normal usage.

As for power the Pro uses kettle cord, don't think the Slim does but I might be wrong.

You probably have a few in the house already (PC, Kettle etc) but can get at almost any shop.
    Last edited by SauRoN; January 10th, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Are you plugging it into a 4K/HDR TV? If not the HDMI cable won't matter.

If you are it needs only be a High Speed HDMI cable and you can once again buy it from any corner store, a fancy brand name version at high cost will make no difference for normal usage.

As for power the Pro uses kettle cord, don't think the Slim does but I might be wrong.

You probably have a few in the house already (PC, Kettle etc) but can get at almost any shop.
    Slim uses figure 8 plug pro uses kettle

9. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (January 10th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

All I am certain of is that the newer HDMI 2.0 and above are capable of higher data stream capabilities. Amongst other things.
    HDMI versions don't apply to the cables, only the hardware. What he's looking for is a High-Speed cable with a rated throughput of 18Gbps.

As for your PS4 HDMI cable differences, your guess is as good as mine. Their is no marking or info on the cable at all to say what version they are. I can only assume the cable shipped with the pro is of a standard capable of utilising the full use of the pro.
    They both ship with High-Speed HDMI cables, the Pro's High-Speed cable though has "Premium" certification. The HDMI Consortium offers a certification program to cable manufacturers, for a fee they submit their cable for testing, if it offers the required 18Gbps throughput it gets a nice, shiny hologram badge. Few manufacturers have taken them up on the offer, Sony is a member of the consortium so it costs them nothing to label the cable shipped with the Pro "Premium".
    Last edited by KenMasters; January 10th, 2019 at 08:45 PM.

11. Saying Thanks:

Goiki7 (January 10th, 2019),  QuiXilver (January 10th, 2019),  SLYGUY (January 10th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    Experience

Thanks for the info guys. So i have a Gioteck 3D2K-XC-4-HQ cable from a few years ago and was told that one should do the trick. Just getting confused with 8bit vs 10bit and mixed reviews on using YUV vs RGB setting on the Pro itself.

The TV i own is the 50A6100UW from Hisense (Yes I'm too poor for Samsung or any other QLED TV)...

All i want to to just get the most out of the console and TV.

Another spanner in the works: TV mutes sound for DSTV feed whenever i change to HDMI 2.0 Enhanced mode. So I'm constantly having to switch in between settings.
    Seems the Hisense's doesn't have the ability to change the feature for certain HDMI ports only.
    Last edited by Cammybuu; January 11th, 2019 at 12:07 AM.

Ghost of Sparta
    ∆POLΧA☐Y
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vena Sera View Post
    It must be gold plated!
    sure thing buksie