Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atmos Sound System Recommendations ?

Experience

Thanks sir, found it even cheaper

https://www.takealot.com/onkyo-ht-s7...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Experience

I think its safe to say you get what you pay for.

I have an LG OLED so my TV supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Gamma Logs and Technicolour HDR. The Denon AVR passes through HDR10, DV and HGL. If you have a samsung TV you only have HDR10. In that case the onkyo would be ok.
    LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post

I have an LG OLED so my TV supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Gamma Logs and Technicolour HDR. The Denon AVR passes through HDR10, DV and HGL. If you have a samsung TV you only have HDR10. In that case the onkyo would be ok.
    Hybrid Log Gamma - it's for broadcast TV, named such because it's a hybrid of the SDR and HDR EOTF.

Technicolour isn't an HDR format, it's just a TV picture preset tuned by Technicolor.

You're on point about not having to worry about DV though.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post

OLED's rock... I have a LG SK8000 supports Dolby Vision and HDR awesome tv

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    Yeah thanks man my bad meant K950. Still deciding and doing some research so far the Samsung looks good although I only see prices for 20k or more
    If you do decide on the k950, there's a few issues with it. I thought I was lucky and didn't experience much of what a bunch of other people on Samsung's forum reported. But then after a while what I experienced once every few months happened pretty regularly.

Two main gripes:

1) The sound bar loses sync with the sub and or rear speakers. You have to manually pair each one again. And even then it's not guaranteed to work after the first pair. Basically you have to insert a pen into a hole at the back of the speakers to get it into pairing mode. One trick I noticed is to reboot it after it's in this mode. Then hold the volume button on the remote while sound bar is off and you'll get a message on the bar when it's done. Switch on the bar then off then move to the next speaker.

2) Randomly it will Switch from "TV Arc" to "D.in" and no sound comes through. For hdmi sources it still works. I have to power down all devices and reboot and that seems to work though not always on the first try.

I've got a month left on the warranty. I'm seriously considering trying to get it swapped out. I would've loved the Sony ST5000 if I could find one locally. Though for that price I might hold out and get a full on atmos setup when we move house.

6. Saying Thanks:

Metalman (January 25th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

These all-in-one solutions are fine and good, but when talking separates I think people need to check themselves when it comes to Atmos. Atmos is the icing on the cake to a good surround setup, it is not the linchpin of a good surround setup. The most important aspects of a good surround setup are good amplification, a good subwoofer (or two) and good, matched LCRs (left, centre and right speakers).

From there you can consider your surround speakers, they don't have to be of the same quality as the LCRs, just tonally matched - and then you can look at your Atmos options. If you have a normal to high ceiling, in-ceiling is the way to go, if you have a normal to low ceiling, upward firing Enabled speakers might be better (Dolby Enabled speakers by the way, are not just regular speakers fired upwards, they are designed differently).
    Last edited by KenMasters; January 25th, 2019 at 01:43 PM.

8. Saying Thanks:

Metalman (January 25th, 2019)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    If you do decide on the k950, there's a few issues with it. I thought I was lucky and didn't experience much of what a bunch of other people on Samsung's forum reported. But then after a while what I experienced once every few months happened pretty regularly.

Two main gripes:

1) The sound bar loses sync with the sub and or rear speakers. You have to manually pair each one again. And even then it's not guaranteed to work after the first pair. Basically you have to insert a pen into a hole at the back of the speakers to get it into pairing mode. One trick I noticed is to reboot it after it's in this mode. Then hold the volume button on the remote while sound bar is off and you'll get a message on the bar when it's done. Switch on the bar then off then move to the next speaker.

2) Randomly it will Switch from "TV Arc" to "D.in" and no sound comes through. For hdmi sources it still works. I have to power down all devices and reboot and that seems to work though not always on the first try.

I've got a month left on the warranty. I'm seriously considering trying to get it swapped out. I would've loved the Sony ST5000 if I could find one locally. Though for that price I might hold out and get a full on atmos setup when we move house.
    Thanks for the advice bud lets see what else I can find.

Experience

I'm running a Onkyo NR727 will matching Atmos speakers and all that. My feedback is as follows

1. The onkyo speakers have sensitivity rated at 84db. This makes the speakers incredibly lazy. Many of the HT in a box solutions have lazy speakers.

2. AVRs at the bottom end of pricing that are loaded with features havr cheaper components built in. The bluetooth, wifi, cpu, interface etc will reveal this. Honestly its not a big deal to me as I'm quiet gentle on the equipment.

3. Onkyo is famous for HDMI board failure. Quite a pricey repair so perhaps be ready to connect via alternative means. I had an issue once and an aftermarket repairer put preventative measures in place to avoid further occurrences.

Overall, I'm happy with my Onkyo rig, but my mates running Denon and Yamaha got more bang for buck (and reliability) in the end

4. Spend most of your budget on proper speakers. My big mistake was buying beautiful speakers that are lazy to drive. I have to work the amp to get it running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12