Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: streaming

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Check the TV's app store for Google Play - it should have it. Whatever console you're using I assume would have it as well.
    Never seen their services on any console.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

2. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (February 12th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Never seen their services on any console.
    I just assumed, I don't know what apps the consoles have - maybe they prefer you to rent movies from their own services then? My brother uses the app so pretty sure it's available in S.A., I would be surprised if the Samsung app store doesn't have it.

Game IDs
    Experience

For streaming we have netflix, showmax, dstvnow.

Pretty good selection.

I would have zero if I didn't have a family tbh, I don't really watch TV at all, would rather game or read a good book.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I just assumed, I don't know what apps the consoles have - maybe they prefer you to rent movies from their own services then? My brother uses the app so pretty sure it's available in S.A., I would be surprised if the Samsung app store doesn't have it.
    Yeah the TV's have it, was just pointing out the consoles don't.

It's weird they would just skip such a market.

I mean if Apple just pulled through with their 2019 TV announcement and provided apps on PS4/Xbox that would be a done deal for me.

Or just backwards compat it to my C7.
    Hidden Content

6. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (February 12th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Yeah the TV's have it, was just pointing out the consoles don't.

It's weird they would just skip such a market.
    Not really, not if they rent movies on their platform as well - why invite the competition?

I mean if Apple just pulled through with their 2019 TV announcement and provided apps on PS4/Xbox that would be a done deal for me.
    Apple is another one, they don't allow the movie rental side of some of the streaming services I have on their device. I have to rent the movie on another device, then it shows up on the Apple TV - can't rent it directly.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Not really, not if they rent movies on their platform as well - why invite the competition?

Apple is another one, they don't allow the movie rental side of some of the streaming services I have on their device. I have to rent the movie on another device, then it shows up on the Apple TV - can't rent it directly.
    Other non-Apple service?

I believe that's only because they don't want to use Apple as the payment gateway then you need to go "purchase" it elsewhere yes.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Other non-Apple service?

I believe that's only because they don't want to use Apple as the payment gateway then you need to go "purchase" it elsewhere yes.
    I don't pay for any of my streaming apps through Apple, I don't see why the apps wouldn't offer the video rental side of their service other than Apple not liking the notion of rental/purchase competition on their platform.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I don't pay for any of my streaming apps through Apple, I don't see why the apps wouldn't offer the video rental side of their service other than Apple not liking the notion of rental/purchase competition on their platform.
    It's not really that but you could see it that way.

But this is across all their platforms universally the same so not really different here.

You for instance can't purchase Kindle books on the iPad app, but you can do it through the browser and Amazon's website directly on the same device so it's really just a little bit silly.

I do believe that basically it's because they provide no API for payment systems to developers other than their own and therefore keep their side of things clean should things go pear shaped with payments going wrong or fraudulent transactions happening etc.

So one can see it in that light as the customer being protected...but at the same time the customer is being unnecessarily irritated and often pushed away for the same reasons.
    Hidden Content

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345