Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21819202122

Thread: Next Gen Xbox specs leaked, to be shown at E3 2019

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    The level of speculation on how powerful next gen will be has never been this crazy. So many articles and videos trying to guess what's going to be achievable.
    For me as long as it's 4k and 60fps native, I'm going to be ecstatic. Can't see 8k equipment being affordable for the vast majority in the next few years along with the lack of content to push through it. Plus most console gamers won't have the TV's to push more then 4k 60fps native without an upgrade.
    I believe those are the design goals for both xbox and playstation for next gen.

Even tho both punted 8K for some bizarre reason. - which is idiotic for both to even say IMO.

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

8K will be video services mostly I suspect.

This is a nice confirmation https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67521...res/index.html

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Uberutang View Post
    8K will be video services mostly I suspect.

This is a nice confirmation https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67521...res/index.html
    But what services actually stream 8k? At the moment there's nothing and I would say Disney, Hulu, Amazon and Netflix will stick to 4k max for the next few years atleast. Maybe cutscenes in games may go to 8k but again would the Devs do that for the few percent who may have the screens to display it?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    Yes, they will be around the 8-10TF mark, which won't sound super impressive, but the performance will be between 30-50% better because of the new architecture and move to 7nm etc etc etc.

So in comparison to the old GPU structures the new GPU's power will be X, but is in fact Y (+30-50%) in comparison to older gen.

Sounds pretty damned good to me.

I AM READY.
    Even that 50% number doesn't really tell the full tale, since geometric complexity is orders of magnitude greater than that. But indeed - I too am ready!

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    I believe those are the design goals for both xbox and playstation for next gen.

Even tho both punted 8K for some bizarre reason. - which is idiotic for both to even say IMO.
    I've stated it before, but all I think they meant by that (8K) was that the consoles would be HDMI 2.1.

As for 4K as standard, as I've also stated in the past, I think that would be a ham-fisted waste of resources. Temporal and dynamic upscaling is the way to go in my opinion.

Hopefully 60Hz will be standard, but I still think 30fps is viable for some types of games. I'd happily take the lower frame rate for improved visuals in something like the recent "Man of Medan" for example. For titles on which there are arguments either way, I'd imagine the option of 30 or 60fps will become more common.
    Last edited by KenMasters; September 11th, 2019 at 09:58 AM.

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    But what services actually stream 8k? At the moment there's nothing and I would say Disney, Hulu, Amazon and Netflix will stick to 4k max for the next few years atleast. Maybe cutscenes in games may go to 8k but again would the Devs do that for the few percent who may have the screens to display it?
    I think there will be an push to be 'first to 8k' but adoption will be slow

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Uberutang View Post
    I think there will be an push to be 'first to 8k' but adoption will be slow
    People misunderstand the stipulation for 8K in the Ultra HD standard. Native 8K content will come at some point, but like 4K, the intent is not for the content to be native, it's to have the pixel density required at all screen sizes to present that content as faithfully as possible. Native res for filmed content past a certain point is not that vital - most "4K" content isn't 4K either.

Video-games are an exception, when you're filming something, you're going from a much higher resolution down to a lower one - you are "supersampling" what you shoot. Video games are (for the most part) displayed at the resolution they're rendered, so you get all kinds of artifacts occurring at the point where fine detail and edges approach that final output resolution.

Rendering at a much higher resolution then downscaling to a lower one would be the ideal method of fixing this issue, but it's not a practical one for obvious reasons (at least while we all still make use of discreet hardware). We have to rely on advancements in Anti-aliasing, temporal and dynamic scaling techniques to produce clean images.

7. Saying Thanks:

onelargeprawn (September 11th, 2019),  Uberutang (September 11th, 2019),  xcaliber (September 11th, 2019)  

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21819202122