Poll: Do you want to Immigrate

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2440414243444546 LastLast

Thread: The Emmigration Thread

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby070707 View Post
    Thanks bud. So I have made contact with the Portuguese Consulate in Jhb. After some research I should be able to Qualify for Portuguese Citizenship via Marriage. I am just waiting for the process documents to see what is required. It's not to say it will be our final destination but it will definitely be handy as a back up if we need to get out in a hurry. We have all of our Unabridged documents already and going to apply for the kids passports in 2 weeks time.

We are also going to see an immigration consultant next month to find out what is required to get into NZ. I have put a timeline of 18-24 months to have everything done and be in our new country. Seems like a long time but time flies by so quickly
    The NZ Immigration website has all the details you need. It is incredibly easy to use.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas

Partner and I are currently applying to positions in NZ. Depending on who gets the 1st offer, it will then determine which visa we go for.

I would suggest you check if you are on the Essential / Long term skills list first as this is the quickest way in.

If you have a recognized qualification (all SA varsities / degrees listed on the NZQF site via the NZ immigration site), then you can consider the Skilled Migrant option.

Otherwise if the employer is accredited (also listed on the NZ site), you can go for the standard Talent Work visa. Your partner / kids can then apply via the Partner of a Worker Work visa (need to prove your relationship).

You will pay an agent to give you these options, otherwise with just a bit of research, you can do it yourself.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by roskii View Post
    The NZ Immigration website has all the details you need. It is incredibly easy to use.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas

Partner and I are currently applying to positions in NZ. Depending on who gets the 1st offer, it will then determine which visa we go for.

I would suggest you check if you are on the Essential / Long term skills list first as this is the quickest way in.

If you have a recognized qualification (all SA varsities / degrees listed on the NZQF site via the NZ immigration site), then you can consider the Skilled Migrant option.

Otherwise if the employer is accredited (also listed on the NZ site), you can go for the standard Talent Work visa. Your partner / kids can then apply via the Partner of a Worker Work visa (need to prove your relationship).

You will pay an agent to give you these options, otherwise with just a bit of research, you can do it yourself.
    Thanks bud, my friend in NZ said the exact same thing to me this morning.

On the Qualifications side there I fall short unfortunately. Will go check out the Website and see what will work for us.
    My ideal situation would be to for both my wife and I to get inter company transfers. We are looking at all available options though.

Thanks for the information. Every little bit helps

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Indeed, we started last year September after making the decision. First it was to sort out British passports, then it was to get one or two SA documents from Home Affairs, then it went onto selling the house (which is almost completed, hallelujah), Then packing and moving into smaller apartment, doing wife's visa, and finally leaving.

If everything goes to plan, it would have taken 14 months from start to finish.
    Don't forget that you currently earn enough to move over with your family. If not, it would be an additional 6 months apart at minimum...

4. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (September 11th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jer1cho View Post
    Starting to seriously consider UK. I have a British passport. Wife and kid do not. I'm also in a small industry where work is scarce and I'm petrified of going over and not getting work. I have so many regrets about my life up to this point and I'm worried this will be a other one. I'm not worried about going, I'm worried about going and having to come back because we just can't make it there or get jobs. Meh.
    Funny you should say that, but lack of jobs is primarily a South African concern. A lot of expats have said they were surprised how easy it is to find jobs in the UK. I think we are all so used to jobs being scarce over here that we worry about it unnecessarily
    Seek and you shall find! Hidden Content

6. Saying Thanks:

Jer1cho (September 11th, 2019)  

Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    Funny you should say that, but lack of jobs is primarily a South African concern. A lot of expats have said they were surprised how easy it is to find jobs in the UK. I think we are all so used to jobs being scarce over here that we worry about it unnecessarily
    I believe the scarcity of jobs in SA is not about no jobs being available, but more to do with attitude and education. South Africa's labour laws protect the worker so much, that companies do not want to take risk in hiring a person that they find out can't perform the tasks as they should after hiring them, but can't fire them without going through a lengthy process, and then still run the risk of being taken to CCMA.

I say education and attitude is the main contributing factors that have caused this problem, along with the strong labour laws. People are leaving school totally under-educated and under-prepared for the working environment. This along with the lazy attitude of a lot of workers in South Africa, companies don't want to hire people.

Well, that's my view anyway.

8. Saying Thanks:

MJ INC (September 11th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I believe the scarcity of jobs in SA is not about no jobs being available, but more to do with attitude and education. South Africa's labour laws protect the worker so much, that companies do not want to take risk in hiring a person that they find out can't perform the tasks as they should after hiring them, but can't fire them without going through a lengthy process, and then still run the risk of being taken to CCMA.

I say education and attitude is the main contributing factors that have caused this problem, along with the strong labour laws. People are leaving school totally under-educated and under-prepared for the working environment. This along with the lazy attitude of a lot of workers in South Africa, companies don't want to hire people.

Kak scary thing to go from the cushy corporate jobs we have here.

to a pretty hostile jobs market overseas where most work is contract based and you are f-ed if you mess up.

Makes it incredibly hard to finance big purchases such as houses or invest in apartments etc.

Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    Kak scary thing to go from the cushy corporate jobs we have here.

to a pretty hostile jobs market overseas where most work is contract based and you are f-ed if you mess up.

Makes it incredibly hard to finance big purchases such as houses or invest in apartments etc.
    Yeah, I am nervous about jobs in UK, even though everyone is telling me I shouldn't be. I did start my working career contracting, was ok and enjoyable really.

But I will be a house dad for a few month while wife works, so not that concerned

Experience

So today I got feedback from the Portuguese consulate with the requirements for Citizenship.
    I have everything that is required except for one little stumbling block...my wife is going to laugh her head of as she told me about 10 years go to do this.
    Learn the language....they require Proof of Language. So basic elementary, my daughter is currently busy with this twice a week. Maybe I should join her after school with this just to assist with the basics.
    Busy looking for accredited Testing centres in Jhb who offer the CIPLE A2 Course & exams.
    Fun times ahead

12. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (September 11th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
    Experience

I disagree a little. Yes labour laws can hinder job opportunities but there are other factors. The main one being that there is absolutely no incentive for entrepreneurs to start up business in this country thus creating jobs and employing people. There is also a huge brain drain at the moment causing many skilled professionals to seek work in other countries. A lot of them owned businesses as well or supported local business. So it all feeds off each other.
    Other countries offer financial funding, support and tax breaks for start up businesses to help encourage entrepreneurs and create jobs.
    Seek and you shall find! Hidden Content

Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

I disagree a little. Yes labour laws can hinder job opportunities but there are other factors. The main one being that there is absolutely no incentive for entrepreneurs to start up business in this country thus creating jobs and employing people. There is also a huge brain drain at the moment causing many skilled professionals to seek work in other countries. A lot of them owned businesses as well or supported local business. So it all feeds off each other.
    Other countries offer financial funding, support and tax breaks for start up businesses to help encourage entrepreneurs and create jobs.
    Absolutely!

The other thing that is misunderstood often is that governments are supposed to create and build the economy for job creation from the private sector, not create jobs themselves. As the SA government is doing the opposite to the economy by destroying it, jobs aren't being created, but being lost. So more of an addition onto your comment.

15. Saying Thanks:

TheSource (September 12th, 2019)  

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2440414243444546 LastLast