Poll: Do you want to Immigrate

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14303132333435 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 348

Thread: The Emmigration Thread

  1. #331
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    28,718
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    You are missing the point. The autobahn doesn't have a law on maximum speeds but it works just fine. The reason being is that other sensible road laws ARE ENFORCED. Speed isn't the issue, its people driving recklessly who aren't held accountable. If the laws are not enforced, they are not obeyed, in which case, sometimes one needs to in turn disobey the laws in order to stay safe. For example, if someone is driving way too slowly in the fast lane thus causing a traffic jam, people are forced to overtake in a lane not meant for overtaking which is against the rules of the road. If enough people in heavy traffic jump through red lights so they don't have to wait, it then causes people coming in the opposite direction to have to do the same or they will never get through the traffic lights. Just a few examples...

    P.S. You can't tell me you haven't ever broken any rules or laws? Sometimes its necessary or justified, the world isn't black and white. If you do a poll on here asking people how many of them haven't followed the rules of the road, I'd imagine you'd get close to a 100% saying they're guilty. If you are "lucky" enough to be in a completely law abiding society you might forget what its like to live in one that's almost the exact opposite.
    A lot of the time it's not even recklessness, but rather blind ignorance of what the hell they are actually doing with no concept of operating the heavy machinery murder weapons they are piloting.

    It's insane to think the amount of training and hoops someone needs to go through just to operate a Fork Lift which is unlikely to harm anyone, but you can jump into a car at 17-years old without even a hint of practical ability and go straight onto the public roads with thousands of other people.

    They should flip that around as a first and you shouldn't be allowed to write a learner's before doing a practical competency.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  2. #332
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    28,718
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    And there you go, if you know how to drive properly. Of course the ones speeding always know how to drive properly, it's the other ones speeding that cause issues.

    The simple fact of the matter is the law is there for a reason and if everyone obeyed it to the letter the roads would be a much safer place overall.
    No that's simply not true.

    Just because the law says you can drive 120km/h doesn't mean you should. To make it safer people need to actually understand what they are doing and respond accordingly.

    They need to be able to analyse and asses risk and then change behaviour accordingly.

    Legal speed limits don't make it automatically safe in every condition.


    Because those roads are designed to be driven that way. Again, it's not the speed or whatever, it's the unpredictability that bending the rules bring to the road.
    There is nothing special about the roads on the Autobahn. In fact recently with the heat waves they imposed temporary speed limits because it was melting.

    The difference is road worthy vehicles and driver education.


    Sensibly is following the rules of the road, period. One person's sense is another person's idiocy.
    Again just because the rules say you can do 60/80/120 as per the rules of the road doesn't mean it's correct. Sensible comes from reading the road around you and responding accordingly...that can go both ways as @TheSource has pointed out and in some cases actually going faster could save your bacon or make you generally safer.


    So your argument is, if nobody's making me follow the rules, why should I?
    No she's arguing that you cannot be safe by following the rules of the road, if nobody else is following them or being forced to follow them.

    It's actually UNSAFE to follow the rules of the road in SA because it's not being enforced.

    If you tried to be the white knight unicorn that follows them to the letter you would immediately put yourself in danger.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  3. Saying Thanks:

    TheSource (July 12th, 2019)  

  4. #333
    Gaming Wizard millennia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,885
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Losers, I'll show them how Saffers do it
    You can spot them a mile away. They're the twats weaving between traffic when it says to stay in your lane...

  5. Saying Thanks:

    AdrianH (July 12th, 2019)  

  6. #334
    Gaming Wizard KenMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Křbenhavn
    Posts
    8,729
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    S.A. doesn't have an autobahn.

    Just because you guys might be truly capable of analysing and assessing risk when choosing when and where to break the law, it doesn't mean others are similarly capable. Of course they are every bit as likely to think they are as capable as you. You doing what you do feeds back into them doing what they do. A vicious cycle.

    Carry on though, I'm under no illusion that attitudes will change.

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    P.S. You can't tell me you haven't ever broken any rules or laws? Sometimes its necessary or justified, the world isn't black and white. If you do a poll on here asking people how many of them haven't followed the rules of the road, I'd imagine you'd get close to a 100% saying they're guilty. If you are "lucky" enough to be in a completely law abiding society you might forget what its like to live in one that's almost the exact opposite.
    I used to drive like every other South African. Since moving my perspective on things has changed and now I drive in S.A. to the letter of the law as best my understanding.

    On the road we make our decisions based on our assumptions of what the others around us will do. The more drivers driving in a predictable manner, the safer for us all.

    Sure, I don't get around as fast as you might, but I personally feel more relaxed driving than I used to and the roads don't feel nearly as chaotic.
    Last edited by KenMasters; July 12th, 2019 at 03:40 PM.

  7. #335
    Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    AdrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Edenvale, Joburg
    Posts
    5,000
    Experience

    Default

    Everyone believes they are a good driver and everyone else is the bad driver

  8. Saying Thanks:

    KenMasters (July 12th, 2019)  

  9. #336
    Gaming Wizard DarkPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lonehill
    Posts
    16,808
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Discovery says I'm a good driver so I'll assume I'm a good driver.

    I do miss not ever needing a car though, I'd love for public transport here to be a thing and even if it gets there one day I won't be here to see it
    PSN ID - Ibuki-Lord

    Hidden Content

  10. #337
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    28,718
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    S.A. doesn't have an autobahn.

    Just because you guys might be truly capable of analysing and assessing risk when choosing when and where to break the law, it doesn't mean others are similarly capable. Of course they are every bit as likely to think they are as capable as you. You doing what you do feeds back into them doing what they do. A vicious cycle.

    Carry on though, I'm under no illusion that attitudes will change.

    EDIT:

    I used to drive like every other South African. Since moving my perspective on things has changed and now I drive in S.A. to the letter of the law as best my understanding.

    On the road we make our decisions based on our assumptions of what the others around us will do. The more drivers driving in a predictable manner, the safer for us all.
    A predictable driver would be the one that follows the pack and drives like the majority of others.

    Therefore a driver following the letter of the law would not be predictable in SA.

    Sure, I don't get around as fast as you might, but I personally feel more relaxed driving than I used to and the roads don't feel nearly as chaotic.
    Can't say that I'm particularly stressed by driving/riding it's a perfectly relaxed affair. Nothing chaotic about any of it really, you simply adapt to things as you go as is the general way of the world.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  11. #338
    Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    SauRoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape town
    Posts
    28,718
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Everyone believes they are a good driver and everyone else is the bad driver
    Part and parcel of the driver education I mentioned.

    You can't think this or claim to be so without having objectively proven it to be true.

    And no...K53 is not it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

  12. #339
    Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    AdrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Edenvale, Joburg
    Posts
    5,000
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Part and parcel of the driver education I mentioned.

    You can't think this or claim to be so without having objectively proven it to be true.

    And no...K53 is not it.
    Not sure I understand your post, or you understand mine.

    Mine is basically about there is no definition for what a good driver is. So people relate to their own driving habits and behavior as being good and above average, while others drive differently to you and therefore aren't that good and below average.

    https://www.psychologicalscience.org...e-average.html
    Last edited by AdrianH; July 12th, 2019 at 05:57 PM.

  13. Saying Thanks:

    KenMasters (July 12th, 2019)  

  14. #340
    Gaming Wizard KenMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Křbenhavn
    Posts
    8,729
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    A predictable driver would be the one that follows the pack and drives like the majority of others.
    Or better, one following a given standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Therefore a driver following the letter of the law would not be predictable in SA.
    Anything other than adhering to a standard is chaos regardless.

    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Can't say that I'm particularly stressed by driving/riding it's a perfectly relaxed affair. Nothing chaotic about any of it really, you simply adapt to things as you go as is the general way of the world.
    It's not though, but if that is the world you're happy with then be happy with all the other things that come with a society that sees the law as malleable and stipulations as a challenge.
    Last edited by KenMasters; July 12th, 2019 at 06:43 PM.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14303132333435 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •