Poll: Do you want to Immigrate

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 153132333435

Thread: The Emmigration Thread

Addicted Member
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    S.A. doesn't have an autobahn.

Just because you guys might be truly capable of analysing and assessing risk when choosing when and where to break the law, it doesn't mean others are similarly capable. Of course they are every bit as likely to think they are as capable as you. You doing what you do feeds back into them doing what they do. A vicious cycle.

Carry on though, I'm under no illusion that attitudes will change.

EDIT:

I used to drive like every other South African. Since moving my perspective on things has changed and now I drive in S.A. to the letter of the law as best my understanding.

On the road we make our decisions based on our assumptions of what the others around us will do. The more drivers driving in a predictable manner, the safer for us all.

Sure, I don't get around as fast as you might, but I personally feel more relaxed driving than I used to and the roads don't feel nearly as chaotic.
    I'm aware South Africa doesn't have an autobahn, it is an EXAMPLE. An example of how speed is not dangerous, other driving behaviours are, and if those are restricted and enforced correctly then speed is a non-issue. We have a whole campaign here about how speed kills and it's completely bull****.
    If we were able to have proper enforcement of laws here in SA then there would be no need for the evasive driving techniques we're all becoming proficient at. Many of which may not follow road laws.
    Also, you no longer live in South Africa and haven't for years. Driving around like a tourist and not as a day to day commuter will give you a totally different experience and you are far less likely to encounter the extremes of our traffic conditions. Perhaps you have a different perspective for the very reason you no longer have to deal with day to day commuting in SA. How quickly it's forgotten. Taxi's will never drive in a predictable manner, people who buy their licences don't even know what a predictable manner is. Until those issues are regulated I'm going to be driving as safely as I can in relation to those around me, whether it obeys road laws or not. If it's necessary to break a road law for my own safety then I will do so. Clearly it's working well for me as I have not been in an accident or caused one since I was 18 years old.
    Seek and you shall find! Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (July 12th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Cape Town folks don't know how to drive tbh, 1 will be doing 60 on the highway and the other will be overtaking you in the fast lane while you already going over 130 and hoot at you like you causing a pile up.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Not sure I understand your post, or you understand mine.

Mine is basically about there is no definition for what a good driver is. So people relate to their own driving habits and behavior as being good and above average, while others drive differently to you and therefore aren't that good and below average.

https://www.psychologicalscience.org...e-average.html
    Of course there is.

A good driver can be tested and measured through objective observation and adequate training.

We don’t have adequate training, measurements or observations in this country.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    Cape Town folks don't know how to drive tbh, 1 will be doing 60 on the highway and the other will be overtaking you in the fast lane while you already going over 130 and hoot at you like you causing a pile up.
    This is exactly the problem.

If speed limits are to be adhered to then everyone also needs to maintain those speeds or reach the bare minimum and it needs to be enforced.

Jo’burg where everyone does 150 in every lane is actually better in this regard and safer as a whole.

The **** almost always hits the fan because of the difference in speeds, not the speeds themselves.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    Also what age are you at and what age is your spouse at? who has qualifications?

I'm 33 and my wife is older, but we both have honours degrees so it was easy to swop from her as main applicant to me and that gave us a couple of extra points to get into the draw. From there it's been pretty easy, I scored well on IELTS vs my wife so that also helped my profile score vs if we used her as main applicant.
    My age gives me 0 points as I am 46, the application will only be done after a year in Canada as I need the Canadian work experience so if all works out will get the letter of employment early 2020 which will take me to around 430 points and then after a years Canadian work experience should be ok based on this years CRS of between 450-470 for the year.
    New PS4, cant wait to get home and get going after my holiday.

Addicted Member
    The Wise PoisonMaster Never Licks His Fingers.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    My age gives me 0 points as I am 46, the application will only be done after a year in Canada as I need the Canadian work experience so if all works out will get the letter of employment early 2020 which will take me to around 430 points and then after a years Canadian work experience should be ok based on this years CRS of between 450-470 for the year.
    Hey Ric

Out of curiosity what visa are you planning to enter Canada on? I see you're first needing Canadian work experience so just wondering how you're going about getting that .

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by vermillon View Post
    Hey Ric

Out of curiosity what visa are you planning to enter Canada on? I see you're first needing Canadian work experience so just wondering how you're going about getting that .
    Hi,
    Working on getting a work permit with a company over there, and then see how things pan out after the first year.
    New PS4, cant wait to get home and get going after my holiday.

9. Saying Thanks:

vermillon (Yesterday)  

Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

I had the electrician come around yesterday (Sunday) to do inspection for COC, so that if there are issues they come resolve them today (Monday). During their inspection, wife notices them saying things to each other like "maybe we should do ...." and then carry on. So she continued to pay close attention to what they were saying and doing. After inspection, electrician starts listing all the things they need to do to be compliant, to which they begin listing this and that. Wife asked for rough estimate on repairs and when they will be coming to resolve them. He replies with he can't give estimate for this reason and that reason, and now he thinks he can only come Friday. She asks that he put together a report of the repairs, and a detailed quote itemimised by labour and materials. He says it won't be a problem but it may only be on Tuesday because he is busy and probably won't have time to do it until then. Also, they need to get prices of parts and that he is not sure if stock is available.

Wife is now pissed off as he said he could come today (Monday) to resolve issues. She tells him that she works in the insurance industry within one of the big bank and will be submitting his company along with report and quote to their assessing division to see if it is all above board and that prices correlate to market prices, and that items mentioned and listed are actually required to be compliant or not and that's when everything changed.

Suddenly he could get the quote ready yesterday afternoon. Some of the work that needed to be done to be compliant are now "missing" from the quote. Also, he found time to come first thing today to resolve the problems and issue COC. Also, when he was finished the work, he started chatting to wife about her job and what she does and this and that as if he was worried about what she was going to do. I think he kakked himself!

11. Saying Thanks:

Uberutang (Today),  vermillon (Today)  

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 153132333435