Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joycon - Drift issue

Game IDs
    Experience

If your joycons don't drift in handheld mode then it is not dirt and blowing into it wont fix it.

My left one drifted when I play docked only and like many guides on the internet showed I opened it up and placed a tiny bit of conductive foam(grey/black foam from electronic packaging) inside.

It has worked perfectly ever since and works better and further away from the console than the stock joycons.

It was quick and easy I've forgotten about this issue. It really is the only fix and Nintendo will do the same if you send yours in.

If your joycons drift in handheld mode you probably have a dirt issue. The right joycon should not drift(It has a better antenna than the left) unless i guess it's the dirt problem
    Last edited by vegeta; April 18th, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
    3DS Friend code: 2320-6249-6707
    Wii U SA NNID: Viigeta

2. Saying Thanks:

Wlad (April 18th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    Wiedzmin 3!
    Game IDs
    Experience

I seem to have sorted out my issue, for the time being at least. @Hiro suggested Q20 and last Monday I lifted up the flaps and sprayed a little bit in there. It went well for about 4-5 hours of playtime before it started up again. On Tuesday I gave it two more quick sprays and it's been flawless ever since, despite me playing for several hours almost daily.
    Hidden Content
    “Sometimes we have the absolute certainty there's something inside us that's so hideous and monstrous that if we ever search it out we won't be able to stand looking at it. But it's when we're willing to come face to face with that demon that we face the angel.”
    — Hubert Selby Jr. (Last Exit to Brooklyn)

4. Saying Thanks:

Hiro (June 23rd, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wlad View Post
    I seem to have sorted out my issue, for the time being at least. @Hiro suggested Q20 and last Monday I lifted up the flaps and sprayed a little bit in there. It went well for about 4-5 hours of playtime before it started up again. On Tuesday I gave it two more quick sprays and it's been flawless ever since, despite me playing for several hours almost daily.
    I’d recommend contact cleaner or just compressed air even in future.

Q20 leaves a lot of oily residue in there which makes kak down the line.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Addicted Member
    Wiedzmin 3!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I’d recommend contact cleaner or just compressed air even in future.

Q20 leaves a lot of oily residue in there which makes kak down the line.
    I've tried both of those before and it didn't work for me.
    Hidden Content
    “Sometimes we have the absolute certainty there's something inside us that's so hideous and monstrous that if we ever search it out we won't be able to stand looking at it. But it's when we're willing to come face to face with that demon that we face the angel.”

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

I've tried both of those before and it didn't work for me.
    Yup...agree with @SauRoN. You gonna end up with build up eventually as Q20 is a mutlipurpose lubricant. Since you did that you probably gonna have to strip it and use Isopropyl alcohol to clean it out.
    You know you about to fight the main Boss when the red dragon you fighting turn's & Say's **** this i'm outa here.

Addicted Member
    Wiedzmin 3!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by xdav666 View Post
    Yup...agree with @SauRoN. You gonna end up with build up eventually as Q20 is a mutlipurpose lubricant. Since you did that you probably gonna have to strip it and use Isopropyl alcohol to clean it out.
    I get that but it was either Q20, buy new Joycons or stop playing on my Switch. I don't have a spare R1.5K lying around (I'm currently unemployed) and I don't want to not use my Switch. The drifting got really bad, making games unplayable.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I get that but it was either Q20, buy new Joycons or stop playing on my Switch. I don't have a spare R1.5K lying around (I'm currently unemployed) and I don't want to not use my Switch. The drifting got really bad, making games unplayable.
    You forget the option of buying a few cheap tools to open it up and cleaning it out properly.
    Hidden Content

Addicted Member
    Wiedzmin 3!
    Game IDs
    Experience

You forget the option of buying a few cheap tools to open it up and cleaning it out properly.
    Again, I'm unemployed. I can't buy anything, not even cheap tools. Also, I'd probably end up breaking something if I opened it up, I'm terrible with my hands.

Earlier in the year I had a guy replace the "R3 button" as it was not working anymore and he cleaned it out as well which stopped the drifting for a while but it returned eventually. If I had money I would just buy a new pair for handheld mode and another controller for docked mode, but that's not an option at the moment.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Again, I'm unemployed. I can't buy anything, not even cheap tools. Also, I'd probably end up breaking something if I opened it up, I'm terrible with my hands.

Earlier in the year I had a guy replace the "R3 button" as it was not working anymore and he cleaned it out as well which stopped the drifting for a while but it returned eventually. If I had money I would just buy a new pair for handheld mode and another controller for docked mode, but that's not an option at the moment.
    Wasn’t all this covered under some extended warranty period anyway?
    Hidden Content

Addicted Member
    Wiedzmin 3!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Wasn’t all this covered under some extended warranty period anyway?
    Not that I'm aware of, but it should be. I was definitely outside the 1 year warranty when the "R3" broke and the drifting started.
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast