Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Painting Thread

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Out of curiosity, what differences are there in the materials for printing?
    Does the supplier/brand have any real effect?
    What would the best colour and type of filament be for painting on? Do you Prime or sand or something before painting?
    what differences are there in the materials for printing? Plenty, some are more flexible/rubbery. I only print PLA so far.

Does the supplier/brand have any real effect? Yes, I only use eSun so far, but bought a box of ceetree to test as it is 33% cheaper per 1kg. i have seen some crap where the filament was crossed and then it messes up the print

What would the best colour and type of filament be for painting on? PLA Grey/Silver shows the best details. I like black for tiles it makes it look darker when painting

Do you Prime or sand or something before painting? I havent primed yet as it isnt a must, but for the larger detailed prints I will. Sanding is only needed when printing supports on things like arms that start in the air (not sure if it makes sense) Supports can leave some marks that needs sanding.

You also get some people that make support free mini's so there is no need to sand anything.

2. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (July 10th, 2019),  unstoppableErasor (July 10th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I might have a problem, I am not an addict. I am busy printing a massive Balor as per previous post and now another Patreon I am supporting is releasing this

The model stands at about 12-15cm at 60% print size :O

I think I need a second printer.

4. Saying Thanks:

unstoppableErasor (July 11th, 2019)  

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaBeeR View Post
    I might have a problem, I am not an addict. I am busy printing a massive Balor as per previous post and now another Patreon I am supporting is releasing this

The model stands at about 12-15cm at 60% print size :O

I think I need a second printer.
    Stop tempting us!
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Game IDs
    Experience

Currently printing for reference
    untitled.1102.jpg

7. Saying Thanks:

unstoppableErasor (July 15th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Stop tempting us!
    Join the dark side, we have venom daggers and cake

9. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (July 11th, 2019)  

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

I think the thread should probably change to Miniature Painting and Printing

Lets jump back to some questions.
    Regarding paint, do you stock a bunch of colours, or buy as needed?
    If only a few, what are some must have colours when starting out?
    Brand specific or mix and match? Get them online or hobbyist shops, and which?
    Tools besides brushes? What are some must have brushes?
    How long do you spend on painting a standard mini?
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Oupa
    8d8 dmg on me? But I’m lvl 3...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default Miniature Painting Thread

I buy whenever I see a color that I would love to use. Have a bunch of metallics and other stuff. The nice thing about living in Japan is that they have some awesome model paints.

You need Leadbelcher or something like it. It’s amazing! Get some metallics and some skin tones (although you could mix them up). To be honest, you just need the primary colors and everything can be mixed from there but having options is a great thing.
    Last edited by krYtHan; July 11th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.

12. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (July 11th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I think the thread should probably change to Miniature Painting and Printing

Lets jump back to some questions.
    Regarding paint, do you stock a bunch of colours, or buy as needed?I bought the army painter starter set. it has the basics to start, but already i feel i need more "options". I also buy cheap acrylic paint from crazy store, mainly for the larger dungeon tiles as they dont need the expensive paint for detail.

If only a few, what are some must have colours when starting out?Starter sets are great, Raru(i know you are not too fond of them at the moment) has decent pricing. I used Citadel (leadbelcher and nuln oil) when I painted some warhammer mini's 2 years ago.

Brand specific or mix and match? Get them online or hobbyist shops, and which?Like @krYtHan said, buy what you like. Army painter and Vajelno (something like that) have dripper type bottles and Citadel has open lids. You need a hobby type paint for the 28mm mini's the paint is just perfect and not blobby (TM) like the cheap stuff. Check prices, Amazon has a nice set that I have been eyeing but it is R1850 for 50 paints.

Tools besides brushes? What are some must have brushes? A 3pc starter set will work perfect, you need at least 1 tiny brush

How long do you spend on painting a standard mini? Those Goblins took about 3 hours to paint 5 of them. It works easier if you have a batch to paint, so you do them all and give them time to dry while painting the rest. so all paint flesh, then you paint all weapons..... The Balor I am printing now will probably take 3-8 hours to paint, depending on the detail I want on him.

14. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (July 11th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

16. Saying Thanks:

unstoppableErasor (July 11th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Balor finished printing this morning. +- 100 hours to print it all. looks schweet so far.

18. Saying Thanks:

unstoppableErasor (July 15th, 2019)  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast