Thread: Sony and Microsoft announce 'strategic partnership' to develop better game streaming

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Sony and Microsoft announce 'strategic partnership' to develop better game streaming

https://www.techspot.com/news/80115-...tter-game.html

Sony and Microsoft announce 'strategic partnership' to develop better game streaming service and AI technology

Through the power of Azure

What just happened? Microsoft and Sony have been locked in a bitter console gaming rivalry for years now. Every console generation, both companies desperately try to one-up each other with upgraded hardware, better services (like Xbox's Game Pass), and unique exclusive games. With this longstanding corporate feud in mind, it may come as a surprise to hear that the two companies today announced a "strategic partnership."

This partnership will see both Sony and Microsoft work together on "new innovations" in the fields of cloud-based gaming and artificial intelligence.
    of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services,"
    The backbone of this partnership seems to be Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service. "Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services," Microsoft's announcement reads. "In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services."

In short, it sounds like Microsoft and Sony are agreeing to a rare intelligence and resource-sharing deal. Only time will tell what form that partnership will take in the long-run (the entire announcement is quite vague regarding specifics), but we'll certainly keep you updated if any new information comes to light.

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

Power of the cloud.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

It makes a whole lot of sense for Sony who don't play in this arena.

However, it's very very interesting that they would partner with their own competition in the same market by going to them for help in a related market instead of a completely independent cloud services company like Amazon.

Maybe they have that much belief in Microsoft really knowing what's potting when it comes to Xbox Live.

Jeez for that matter could we really see Xbox Live going over to PS4 at some point? After this I'd not be so quick to say it's impossible.

It would solve the entire crossplay issue in one go including party chat etc.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

Xbox live (with all the services it comes with) on a Playstation will get me to buy another playstation thats for sure.

However I see this more as a 'lets see what we can do in the cloud space' and not a 'lets merge systems'. Azure is microsofts biggest money maker, so adding Sony as a client makes sense. Making money from what your compeditor is doing is smart.

Very Senior Member
    Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing
    Game IDs
    Experience

Wouldn't mind if the work on crossplatform while they are at it.

Would be sweet if I can jam with people who play on their consoles while I jam on my pc

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Article leaves out, or rather glosses over, a very important part of the deal:

Based on the deal MS will now have access to Sony's image sensors.

As with any good deal both sides will make money and improved products.

7. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (May 17th, 2019),  xcaliber (May 17th, 2019)