Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD Ryzen 3000 series benchmarks

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Well it also leaves you with the question of do you really want to use a water cooler for the extra temp decrease when the "stock" cooler does a fine job out of the box. I mean I was very surprised when the wraith spire kept my 2700 under 50C. I only dived into AIO cooling because my i7 3930k had no cooler included and then the stock intel cooler with the 4790k had my cpu running at 90C.
    True, my 6600K also didn't have a cooler, hence the AIO.

But now it feels more like an aesthetic and sound driven choice. I like how clean it looks with an AIO fitted. Plus, my fans run relatively low, unless gaming, when I wear a headset anyway.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    I believe it should include an AM4 compatible mount. Box doesn't say?
    yep - just dug it out of the cupboard - AM4 compatible. I'm still 50/50 if I'm going to upgrade both CPU and GPU or just stick with my GPU upgrade (which is why I've been hesitating on the cooler install). Gees I'm a procrastinator of note.

3. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (July 12th, 2019)  

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by johndeckardza View Post
    yep - just dug it out of the cupboard - AM4 compatible. I'm still 50/50 if I'm going to upgrade both CPU and GPU or just stick with my GPU upgrade (which is why I've been hesitating on the cooler install). Gees I'm a procrastinator of note.
    Haha... I think a big driver should be what you intend it for. Gaming or productivity?

Been procrastinating myself. I want to, but there's so many other things I want to throw money at.

Experience

Haha... I think a big driver should be what you intend it for. Gaming or productivity?

Been procrastinating myself. I want to, but there's so many other things I want to throw money at.
    Definitely gaming, not FPS though - just strat games. I'm upgrading my monitor to a 32'' 1440 though - that I've decided (just need to decide on brand/cost). So I have an oldish i5-6600K CPU, 16GB ram and a GTX 1060 6GB video card. So if I upgrade the monitor and video card I'm thinking that is best bang for buck. The CPU seems fine. If I do go CPU as well, then it will be SBO, Memory, CPU, GPU and Monitor - then it's expensive.

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by johndeckardza View Post
    Definitely gaming, not FPS though - just strat games. I'm upgrading my monitor to a 32'' 1440 though - that I've decided (just need to decide on brand/cost). So I have an oldish i5-6600K CPU, 16GB ram and a GTX 1060 6GB video card. So if I upgrade the monitor and video card I'm thinking that is best bang for buck. The CPU seems fine. If I do go CPU as well, then it will be SBO, Memory, CPU, GPU and Monitor - then it's expensive.
    Feeling really stupid, but what does SBO refer to? The MoBo?

To the topic, RTS games love good CPUs if I'm not mistaken.

Why would you replace your memory? Too low of a frequency?

That monitor sounds glorious I'm still running 1080p, but in ultrawide. Just haven't been able to justify an ultrawide 1440p monitor at their going price, nor the prices of the GPU to run one.

Experience

Feeling really stupid, but what does SBO refer to? The MoBo?

To the topic, RTS games love good CPUs if I'm not mistaken.

Why would you replace your memory? Too low of a frequency?

That monitor sounds glorious I'm still running 1080p, but in ultrawide. Just haven't been able to justify an ultrawide 1440p monitor at their going price, nor the prices of the GPU to run one.
    SBO = Systemboard or Mobo yeah! The idea is, if I upgrade my PC all my old components go to my wife (who is currently running an old i5 2400 8GB ram) so she'll get an upgrade. I've started looking at 1440p ultrawides now. Everything seems so expensive, but the markup on the monitors is just obscene, should actually be criminal. The LG I am looking at is R8999 and it can be bought for $300 in the US. It is considered entry level there. I mean what the fook? Seriously. That is just ******* robbery. I'm resistant to pay that for a monitor - now looking for something cheaper and I'll spend the difference my the GPU. My primary FPS rig will always be my Xbox or PS gaming on my TV. It's just I can't get any decent Strat games on the consoles. They are either not coming out or constantly delayed. PoE2 is a prime example of this.

Experience

Actually since you have an i5 6000 it means you are using DDR4 so you can just take your memory over to a new system. If gaming is all you need then the 3600 is the obvious CPU choice unless you want more cores and threads. It seems the 5700XT is the cheapest way to get 1080ti like performance but with only XFX currently having a cheap version of the stock cooler you might also want to wait for other after market ones and then compare pricing. Usually Sapphire isnt bad when it comes to their vapor series. Obviously you need a new motherboard and there are a few good B350/B450 boards for sub R2000.
    LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

9. Saying Thanks:

johndeckardza (July 12th, 2019)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Actually since you have an i5 6000 it means you are using DDR4 so you can just take your memory over to a new system. If gaming is all you need then the 3600 is the obvious CPU choice unless you want more cores and threads. It seems the 5700XT is the cheapest way to get 1080ti like performance but with only XFX currently having a cheap version of the stock cooler you might also want to wait for other after market ones and then compare pricing. Usually Sapphire isnt bad when it comes to their vapor series. Obviously you need a new motherboard and there are a few good B350/B450 boards for sub R2000.
    Thanks. Memory -> that will save me money. I was looking at the 3700, then I saw the 3600 - looks way better value for money and is more than enough for what I need, so that's a little money saved too. The 5700XT I'll wait for Sep for the other players to come out with their designs. Only issue remaining is the new motherboard - I'm going to need a MicroATX mobo to fit into my case. Any recommendations on a MicroATX SBO? Also with the new monitor I'm assuming a 5700 will be fine for a 1440 display? If not, I'll need to reconsider my options.

Experience

https://www.wootware.co.za/msi-b350m...therboard.html

https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-prim...therboard.html

Linked 2 MicroATX boards. Just check the support site for bios updates and ryzen 3000 support. As far as the 5700 is concerned it should perform on par with the gtx1080. So 1440p will be fine at 60fps.
    Hidden Content

12. Saying Thanks:

johndeckardza (July 13th, 2019)  

Experience

Pairing a R10k cpu with a R1k board. What could go wrong?
    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast