Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDR or Dolby - WTF

Game IDs
    Experience

Default HDR or Dolby - WTF

Hello

If anyone has some great ideas please share, I have spent 2-3 days trying different configurations and cannot get HDR and Dolby surround working at the same time, its driving me crazy

Setup:

TV: UA50KU7001 (HDMI 1 port is dedicated for HDR, HDMI port 3 is dedicated for ARC, by TV design)
    Amp\Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR575E
    Console: Xbox One X (Bitstream out is selected for audio)

Description:

All Firmware etc is up to date

If I connect Xbox to Amps Game port and then connect Amp output to HDMI port 1 on TV, the amp shows Dolby enabled but doing the calibration on the Xbox it reports that HDR is not enabled. So Im guessing the Amp is doing something with the video signal and not passing it through correctly.

If I connect Xbox direct to HDMI port 1 I get HDR 10 enabled on the Xbox calibration tool, and connect Amp Output to Arc Port on the TV (and choose TV to output all sound to Amp), Dolby is not shown as enabled via Amp screen.

any suggestions to resolve this would be greatly appreciated
    Hidden Content

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SojournZA View Post
    Hello

If anyone has some great ideas please share, I have spent 2-3 days trying different configurations and cannot get HDR and Dolby surround working at the same time, its driving me crazy

Setup:

TV: UA50KU7001 (HDMI 1 port is dedicated for HDR, HDMI port 3 is dedicated for ARC, by TV design)
    Amp\Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR575E
    Console: Xbox One X (Bitstream out is selected for audio)

Description:

All Firmware etc is up to date

If I connect Xbox to Amps Game port and then connect Amp output to HDMI port 1 on TV, the amp shows Dolby enabled but doing the calibration on the Xbox it reports that HDR is not enabled. So Im guessing the Amp is doing something with the video signal and not passing it through correctly.

If I connect Xbox direct to HDMI port 1 I get HDR 10 enabled on the Xbox calibration tool, and connect Amp Output to Arc Port on the TV (and choose TV to output all sound to Amp), Dolby is not shown as enabled via Amp screen.

any suggestions to resolve this would be greatly appreciated
    Hey bud.

Check if you can get an HDMI audio/video splitter that does pass HDR to TV.

Think the amp doesn't pass it.

3. Saying Thanks:

SojournZA (August 14th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

According to Onkyo's site it supports HDR. Have you tried a source other than the Xbox? Is there a way to manually set the Xbox to output HDR, perhaps a reset of some sort is required since hooking it up to the receiver (as it detects its attached to a new device)?

5. Saying Thanks:

Game IDs
    Experience

Have you tried connecting the Xbox to an output other then the game one? It could be that only certain of the inputs accept hdr signals?

7. Saying Thanks:

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    Have you tried connecting the Xbox to an output other then the game one? It could be that only certain of the inputs accept hdr signals?
    According to the manual they're all HDCP 2.2.

9. Saying Thanks:

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default HDR or Dolby - WTF

First things first connect your Onkyo output to the ARC port on the TV, it sounds like you have it connected elsewhere.

Then go make sure you have HDMI TV control enabled on the Onkyo and have all HDMI-CEC functions enabled on the TV as well.

Also make sure you have Deep Colour (HDR) enabled on all HDMI ports. There is no logical reason for it to be dedicated to a port or for this silly menu option to even be there.

Also as KM mentioned you might want to just run through your video settings again once connected and switch from Auto to Manual etc.
    Last edited by SauRoN; August 13th, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

11. Saying Thanks:

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    First things first connect your Onkyo output to the ARC port on the TV, it sounds like you have it connected elsewhere.
    The ARC port isn't Ultra HD capable.

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Also make sure you have Deep Colour (HDR) enabled on all HDMI ports. There is no logical reason for it to be dedicated to a port or for this silly menu option to even be there.
    On older TVs like his KU it is just one port on which the feature is available. The reason why you can toggle Deep/UHD Colour on and off is for compatibility issues with older devices - some DSTV STBs for instance don't pass audio through an HDMI 2.1 connection.

13. Saying Thanks:

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The ARC port isn't Ultra HD capable.
    That is just bizarre and super daft and probably explains half the issue here.

One has to wonder if any of these companies did any real world planning when they came up with these things.

On older TVs like his KU it is just one port on which the feature is available. The reason why you can toggle Deep/UHD Colour on and off is for compatibility issues with older devices - some DSTV STBs for instance don't pass audio through an HDMI 2.1 connection.
    Makes sense.
    Hidden Content

15. Saying Thanks:

Game IDs
    Experience

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, i was out last night but will try some suggestions tonight and report back

if that fails im gonna try contact Onkyo for some support as well
    Hidden Content

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Also just to be clear you are using HDMI 2.0 cables all round? You don't maybe have an old one in the mix somewhere?
    Hidden Content

18. Saying Thanks:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast