Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDR or Dolby - WTF

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by poiromaniax View Post
    Except it doesn't really cost any more money.

In general in SA the things marketed as 2.0 = 18 GBps and that's simply what I was referring to.

I have never believed in the "cable nonsense" either but there is a clear difference when it comes to UHD/4K/HDR as the old cables simply don't work so you do need to keep a lookout for buying the correct stuff.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    I agree. @SauRoN, the problem with telling people they should get an HDMI 2.0 cable is that they might then be inclined to believe they need an HDMI 2.0a cable, and then later "upgrade" to a 2.0b cable and so on...

You're right, he did set it to bitstream. He should set it to PCM though for the best quality audio (DD is lossy and limited to 640 kbit/s).
    Yeah I should have clarified in brackets that I meant the high-speed cables as there is already enough confusion in the marketing.

Sadly in most cases in SA (at least online) you can't even find out the bloody speed easily.

Still I'm flumoxed by my own cable issue because when I first used it I knew it was an old cable and expected issues and then the ATV just said "nope you are all good for Dolby Vision".

Worked fine since I bought it and then suddenly started acting up this week with sync issues and just completely dropping signal.

Oddly ATV HDMI test still says it's fine.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I'm oddly suspicious of this being a firmware issue and a case of old stock going on special.

They only show release notes for the most recent version, but I would definitely start here first before tearing my hair out.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles...5e-139941.html
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Thank you all I have noted all the assisted tips and should manage to test tonight

Feels you guys have gone the extra mile with really "digging" in to assist with ideas and I will test them all an let you know

also @SauRoN ill double check tonight but im 99% sure latest firmware is loaded, as i have connected it to wifi and done the downloads already, just unsure which version its currently on specifically to verify if on latest
    Hidden Content

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader

5. Saying Thanks:

poiromaniax (August 14th, 2019),  SauRoN (August 14th, 2019)  

Of all the things Ive lost, I miss my mind the most!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SojournZA View Post
    Thank you all I have noted all the assisted tips and should manage to test tonight

Feels you guys have gone the extra mile with really "digging" in to assist with ideas and I will test them all an let you know

also @SauRoN ill double check tonight but im 99% sure latest firmware is loaded, as i have connected it to wifi and done the downloads already, just unsure which version its currently on specifically to verify if on latest
    And? Did you solve it?

7. Saying Thanks:

SojournZA (August 15th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by poiromaniax View Post
    And? Did you solve it?
    I surprisingly just havent had a spare moment to tackle this, I started off so well, lol

Thanks for the concern, lets say its a work in progress, below is a pic of what I have managed to setup

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-15 at 8.04.33 AM.jpg

sorry I forgot to mention, I have a house mate that is excellent with electrical work, so we have been redesigning the layout as well of the lounge\braai area

so we going for a everything is "hovering" look (not completed yet and alot of drilling done, you will notice a cable sticking out there), the cable sticking out is the HDMI cable that we are currently fiddling between devices to see if we can fix this issue

sadly yesterday more manual labor was taking place and hopefully tonight I can try configure the settings

EDIT: sorry the led ambience light is a bit turned up there which will be turned down when needed, just testing various stuff at the moment
    Hidden Content

9. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (August 15th, 2019),  poiromaniax (August 15th, 2019)  

Oupa
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Phase 2

11. Saying Thanks:

SojournZA (August 15th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Phase 2

well F$#k me sideways thats amazing, and now makes my solution look limited

I will speak to my housemate on my disappointment lol
    Hidden Content

13. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (August 15th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I surprisingly just havent had a spare moment to tackle this, I started off so well, lol

Thanks for the concern, lets say its a work in progress, below is a pic of what I have managed to setup

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-15 at 8.04.33 AM.jpg

sorry I forgot to mention, I have a house mate that is excellent with electrical work, so we have been redesigning the layout as well of the lounge\braai area

so we going for a everything is "hovering" look (not completed yet and alot of drilling done, you will notice a cable sticking out there), the cable sticking out is the HDMI cable that we are currently fiddling between devices to see if we can fix this issue

sadly yesterday more manual labor was taking place and hopefully tonight I can try configure the settings

EDIT: sorry the led ambience light is a bit turned up there which will be turned down when needed, just testing various stuff at the moment
    What made you go for the "floating" thing?

From a purist perspective, the speakers should be on the ground, since the tweeters are meant to be at listening ear level (it affects how they sound). Also speakers, especially floor standards, should be placed away from walls to sound their best (proximity to the back wall adds a boomy effect).

It's also more comfortable to watch a TV placed directly in front of you than above. Lastly, bias lighting is a good idea, but there should only be one source of light, the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Phase 2

Bloody awful. My neighbours bought a Philips, thankfully they got tired of the gimmick pretty quickly and use the plain D65 backlight mode now.
    Last edited by KenMasters; August 15th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    What made you go for the "floating" thing?

From a purist perspective, the speakers should be on the ground, since the tweeters are meant to be at listening ear level (it affects how they sound). Also speakers, especially floor standards, should be placed away from walls to sound their best (proximity to the back wall adds a boomy effect).

It's also more comfortable to watch a TV placed directly in front of you than above. Lastly, bias lighting is a good idea, but there should only be one source of light, the TV.

Bloody awful. My neighbours bought a Philips, thankfully they got tired of the gimmick pretty quickly and use the plain D65 backlight mode now.
    Floaty thing was a experiment to be played with, if I dont like it in the end we can drop it back, no hassle, there is enough slack to cater for this

as for the floorstanding speakers, we were doing as much research as possible, the speakers are not flush against the wall and have some space, I know they say you should keep it I think 2-3 feet away from the wall, but the TSI300's I read up dont have really a pro or con for being wall mounted

so again just testing and having some fun

the LEDs are dimmable and is again just a experiment and work is still being done on the system, I have found that it is less jarring to watch which is a plus, but for me time will tell how I get used to it

the funny thing about this all is that i have about 50% hearing loss on my right ear (birth defect) so Im not fully capable of "grading" the system to harshly, I just want a better looking entertainment area

EDIT: sorry the tweeters are also slightly tilted to try hit ear level, not exact but still playing around as mentioned
    Last edited by SojournZA; August 15th, 2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Hidden Content

16. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (August 15th, 2019)  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast