Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #Cardistry

Gaming Wizard
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

Wow thanks for the great reply, A lot to digest here. Let me do my best to reply. nn

Quote Originally Posted by Lumix View Post
    Thanks Coldcat! As nice as it is to have some custom decks I hardly use them haha. Most of the time I just have the normal Bicycle League deck from PnP in my hands. They are good quality It's the most affordable decent cards that I can find for around R35 or R40 so usually I buy quite a few decks at once. But I want to find out where one can get the normal Riders backs locally at a affordable cost though.
    Yeah Riders are not cheap, cheaper but feel they can be cheaper if retailers would get them in, so little extra and get a "luxury" deck is more appealing.

Nice one with the Cascade! I've only tried it a few times and haven't really spent time practicing it so I can't do it yet. I have most of the beginners moves as listed at the Cardistry Hub down to some extent, especially the one handed cuts as I generally have a deck in my left hand constantly fidgeting with it lol. Apart from that a few other little moves and cuts, and some aerials like the back palm shot and an aerial spin shot I learned from Daniel Madison which I love, but I still often drop them. I have the one handed faro shuffle down for the most part but not always 100%. Shin Lim has a really cool little tutorial he brought out last week I think, using the faro, you should check it out! I particularly like how he starts his Faro, I only use that method now. I'm still very noob!! Constantly dropping cards (which I think will always happen), but hey that's part of the game! Getting to a point now where I'm beginning to try and combine little flourishes and cuts combining them together, but it doesn't look like much yet haha.
    Shin Lim is amazing, Saw his performances first before his channel, think it was on Penn & Teller Fool us, he's character was so different how I imagined him. He seems like a cool dude. I like his faro shuffle technique but I find it more difficult to the way I do it, I can't get the feeling right with using thumbs to align the start of the faro. One thing I will say, is that it's true how important breaking the deck in is, Faro is so much easier for me now that my cards edges are smooth, Only downside is that my cards don't slide as nice as when I first bought them.

I agree Chris Ramsay's 1st Playing cards are really nice! I didn't know he was bringing out a V3 I should check it out
    Do you think that the cards are marked? I have a theory that they might be marked in the 1st logo, But can't really see, The pattern on the back shifts so the inside does change on some backs I've seen. Ramsay has not mentioned anything, perhaps keeping that a secret, I know he showed how his Knights playing cards were marked in one of his videos. If they not marked like that then it's a missed opportunity for sure.

Attachment 100385

The deck on the very top of my wishlist at the moment is The Gentleman Wake's new The Parlour decks currently available on pre-order on Kickstarter, especially the black and gold one. Postage from Kickstarter to SA is a problem though.
    Never heard of those before but Wow they look stunning.

Most definitely I'll let you know if I do a order again. But you should have a look at themagicshop as well. They do custom orders and I think it will work out cheaper than if one import it oneself from say Amazon. They do bulk orders from Murphy's Magic, so basically any deck that you can see on the Murphy's Magic site you can custom order via themagicshop. I'll probably go that route in future if I'm after a specific deck, but I'd request a quote first.
    Thanks, yeah I've calculated and compared and you right it is cheaper if one buys through likes of themagicshop and Dave. Only worthwhile if you order in bulk, which I'm unable to do.

I love Chris Ramsey!! He's also the one that got me into Cardistry . I also branched out to quite a few other guys as well. I especially like Andrei Jikh's very flashy style. I later found out he was a consultant on the Now You See Me movies. I'm somewhat getting his Bullet move down now, it's become one of the fidget moves I do whenever I have a deck in my hand. Also currently working through his Genesis 1 training vid. It's quit old now and most of the moves are available elsewhere and on the Cardistry Hub, especially the Beginner ones, but he has his very unique style of execution and custom moves which I love. Chris also loves doing flashy moves as I'm sure you've seen, some of which I've also implemented. but some others are more complex and I gave up on them, I should revise them again.
    Yeah Chris is amazing, He's so positive and captivating, what he's done for the community is just amazing, I don't care what the topic of his videos are I eat them all up, Many I watch over and over.

I favourite is his "You Flash, You loose" series (Although there's only 3 out lol) Its great way to learn and work out their techniques.

There's a video he posted (Can't recall the title) where he compared magic to that moment when you reach the top of the stairs, you think there's another step where there isn't and when you step down your grasp of reality is compromised. I think that analogy will stick to me forever.

I watched a very cool Chris Ramsay tutorial last night of with Alex Pandrea sharing a card control with a spring. And he popped in a very strong move in the end that even Chris was like "Woah". So last night I trying it out with my spastic fingers doing as instructed. Also think my cards need to slide better to perform it easier. But practicing is so important, keep doing it over and over and eventually it clicks and you get that "Aha!" moment.

Don't worry about the riffle shuffle too much hey. I learned it a few years back before I started Cardistry as such and I still can't get it right! The cards always riffle in chunks when I do it. It's handy for tricks though.
    Yeah I've moved on from practicing that for now, frustrates me too much.

Locally I've only seen a video of two local guys doing some Cardisty at the V&A. I'm definitely keen to find out more about local communities. I don't know of any either. But I think a good starting point would be themagicshop and I reckon I'll ask them, I'll ask Dave as well. Otherwise, we should start one!
    Yeah I don't see why not. Perhaps a discord channel can be created. That platform is pretty powerful now. Think one can add subscriptions to youtube now to auto add videos once uploaded. If you have the links to the mentions videos please share. Would love to see our local talent.
    Last edited by Coldcat; August 20th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

2. Saying Thanks:

Lumix (August 20th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

erghh images, links and fonts so broken in that post and I can't get it fixed. But yeah..

Experience

It's a pleasure man!

Fully agree, the Riders are pretty standard so no reason for it to be super expensive. It might be worth ordering a brick sometime. I especially want them for when I get an Invisible Deck that has Rider backs.

Love Shin Lim's style! I think his style is referred to as the 3rd generation magician if I'm correct, as opposed to the 2nd generation street magic style of say David Blaine. I agree I also saw his performances first he's such an awesome down to earth dude. Recently he and Andrei Jikh did a youtube video together teaching the Bullet, worth checking out Personally I might be leaning towards his style and other similar ones. Combining cardistry with vanishes, colour changes etc. When I started I struggled a lot with the Faro and I was like *yikes*. So I left it until recently and suddenly it was super easy. It's funny how that works. Most definitely works better on broken in decks. The custom decks also faro easier right out of the box, generally top down if I'm correct, depending on how they're cut.

I won't be surprised if Chris's 1st cards are marked hey! He probably only shares the secrets with his closest mates!

Gosh ja I'm particulary jittery in getting the The Gentleman Wake's black and gold deck (worth checking out his deck reviews channel btw). They're a very limited edition and will be super expensive soon after distribution, so I'm going to try my best to get hold of a couple of decks somehow. I see it's on Murphy's site already so maybe I can organise it via magicshop, just don't have the moola right now

I very much agree with regards Chris's channel hey! I'm a bit more branched out to other channels now but he definitely still ranks as my fav! A very positive vibe! Love the "You Flash, You loose" series and very entertaining when he's with his mates as well.

Great anology!

I don't think I've seen that one with Alex I must check it out! I love it when that Aha moment happens! The process can often be very frustrating haha but once it clicks like you say one gets an awesome sense of achievement. And then it's over to the next move haha. It's quite amazing some moves I can do now without thinking, but in the beginning I was like "how will I ever do this!" haha.

A Discord channel might be a good idea! I'm not too familiar with it even though I belong to a few groups which I seldom visit, I think it might work great for a Cardistry group though. I found the link of the local guy, his channel is called "Seba Tv" and he has various things on there including some cardistry. He has some serious skillz. Might be a good idea to drop him a line as well.

Will post a link to his vid here let see if it works:

5. Saying Thanks:

Coldcat (August 21st, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

I've created a discord channel for those that would like to join.

https://discord.gg/Htg5U2B

7. Saying Thanks:

Lumix (August 21st, 2019)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coldcat View Post
    I've created a discord channel for those that would like to join.

You're doing an awesome job on the Discord dude!!

Anyone interested in Cardistry should join! It really is a VERY cool hobby!!

9. Saying Thanks:

Coldcat (August 22nd, 2019)  

Experience

Hi bro, I have a nice collection already, and will let some packs go. I also have a mate with an even larger collection who I buy from. Get in touch🙂

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by wernermatthysen View Post
    Hi bro, I have a nice collection already, and will let some packs go. I also have a mate with an even larger collection who I buy from. Get in touch
    umm hi, what you got and where you from?

Experience

Hey bro, I'm from Somerset West, Cape Town. I have around 45 decks on hand, and about 30 on the way from the US. Get me on whatsapp - 0795265141

Gaming Wizard
    Mr Bubz likez Dubz
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by wernermatthysen View Post
    Hey bro, I'm from Somerset West, Cape Town. I have around 45 decks on hand, and about 30 on the way from the US. Get me on whatsapp - 0795265141
    Maybe join us on our discord:

and show us what you got.
    WHY DO YOU HAVE SIGNATURES TURNED ON, THAT SHlT WASTEFUL YO.

14. Saying Thanks:

Coldcat (September 12th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    The Wise PoisonMaster Never Licks His Fingers.
    Experience

I always wonder about the 1 post/ 2 post fellas :/.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast