Thread: LG Announces NVIDIA G-Sync Support for E9 and C9 Series OLEDs

Game IDs
    Experience

Default LG Announces NVIDIA G-Sync Support for E9 and C9 Series OLEDs

Huge news for gamers from LG! the company has just announced that it will release a firmware update in the next few weeks that adds Nvidia G-Sync capability to its C9 and E9 OLEDs. The results will be smooth gaming with ultralow latency thanks to VRR (variable refresh rate) compatibility.

https://www.avsforum.com/lg-announce...-series-oleds/

2. Saying Thanks:

Uberutang (September 10th, 2019)  

Oupa
    Need to sleep
    Game IDs
    Experience

I thought free sync was the way forward.

Experience

It seems like nVidia are doing an AMD-like way of implementing variable refresh rate tech. VESA Displayport and HDMI VRR standards do exist. In the past, G-Sync meant that the panel had a special chip in it for VRR and sync technology. It was always possible to do this without a proprietary chip and on HDMI, which is what AMD did.

It's nice that nVidia is doing this, but it seems limited to the RTX and GTX16xx series cards for now. If nVidia can do this, I'm sure AMD can, meaning that consoles and other AMD hardware will enjoy this tech as well.

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDemoni View Post
    It seems like nVidia are doing an AMD-like way of implementing variable refresh rate tech. VESA Displayport and HDMI VRR standards do exist. In the past, G-Sync meant that the panel had a special chip in it for VRR and sync technology. It was always possible to do this without a proprietary chip and on HDMI, which is what AMD did.

It's nice that nVidia is doing this, but it seems limited to the RTX and GTX16xx series cards for now. If nVidia can do this, I'm sure AMD can, meaning that consoles and other AMD hardware will enjoy this tech as well.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/best-xbox-one-freesync

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by xcaliber View Post
    I thought free sync was the way forward.
    FreeSync is based on an existing open standard, the same one stipulated for HDMI 2.1. FreeSync 2 is a different kettle of fish though, that requires support.

7. Saying Thanks:

xcaliber (September 10th, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Well this gives me incentive to upgrade, will do it next year when the price falls to around R25k. At the moment they retail for R35k here which is still not bad. My C7 is still good enough for now!