Page 1 of 191 123452151101 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020

Very Senior Member
    Let's get this out onto a tray - Nice
    Experience

Default PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020

An Update on Next-Gen: PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020

Featuring a new controller with haptic technology and adaptive triggers.

Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.
    Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he’s received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.” (A belief born out by my own Twitter mentions, which for a couple of weeks in April made a graphics-rendering technique seem like the only thing the internet had ever cared about.)
    Last edited by GnarkillZA; October 8th, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds. Fire walk with me.

2. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (October 8th, 2019),  Cathal (October 8th, 2019),  creemyv (October 8th, 2019),  KenMasters (October 8th, 2019),  Master0z (October 8th, 2019),  SLYGUY (October 14th, 2019),  SPR1NGBOKKE (October 9th, 2019),  Sweetmusicman (January 23rd, 2020)  

Addicted Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

That tactile feedback sounds intriguing
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Game IDs
    Experience

“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,”

I'm glad that's finally been clarified!

5. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (October 8th, 2019),  creemyv (October 8th, 2019),  SPR1NGBOKKE (October 9th, 2019),  Uberutang (October 8th, 2019),  UrBaN (March 20th, 2020)  

Ninja
    Best Mafia Player 2012
    Sipho/Sipson I dont know anymore :'(
    Game IDs
    Experience

Controller sounds amazing

7. Saying Thanks:

creemyv (October 8th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Well, that came out of nowhere.

9. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (October 8th, 2019),  creemyv (October 8th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Now to wait and see what Bluepoint has in the works for the launch title.

Experience

Experience

Hopefully Horizon Zero Dawn 2 becomes a launch title. Or even another Killzone game. Shadowfall was amazing as a launch title.

Addicted Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

After skimming the second article, I'll admit, the hype has latched onto me...
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

14. Saying Thanks:

Viking (October 8th, 2019)  

Very Senior Member
    Let's get this out onto a tray - Nice
    Experience

Save all your monies!

Hidden Content
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds. Fire walk with me.

16. Saying Thanks:

Arcanecynic (October 14th, 2019),  CAD_P (January 15th, 2020),  Cathal (October 8th, 2019),  Cl1nt (December 30th, 2019),  creemyv (October 8th, 2019),  Gouko_Tenrou (October 8th, 2019),  SLYGUY (October 14th, 2019),  Sweetmusicman (January 23rd, 2020),  UrBaN (March 20th, 2020),  Viking (October 8th, 2019)  

Page 1 of 191 123452151101 ... LastLast