Thread: Need some advice on upgrading a really old PC

Experience

Default Need some advice on upgrading a really old PC

I've got a old PC lying around that I want to add more RAM to. I'm not really very knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm hoping the more tech savvy people here can help me out. The PC is a old HP Compaq dc7800p Small Form Factor PC. The RAM I want to buy is from takealot at this link: https://www.takealot.com/patriot-2gb...z/PLID29336667

Will that work in this PC? I don't want to run the risk of buying it only to find out too late that it's not compatible.

Experience

No. That is a normal DIMM. You need SODIMM according to the HP website which is laptop form factor memory.

I would ask what do you want from this PC? If the idea is for modern gaming the answer is no for pretty much any and everything.
    LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    No. That is a normal DIMM. You need SODIMM according to the HP website which is laptop form factor memory.

I would ask what do you want from this PC? If the idea is for modern gaming the answer is no for pretty much any and everything.
    Are you sure? I have the Small Form Factor one, and I found this: https://support.hp.com/za-en/product...ment/c01163881

I opened up the PC and it does indeed have 4 RAM slots. The one that is already in there looks like a normal sized RAM module to me. Unless I'm mistaken. I've never actually seen the smaller ones.

As for what I plan to do with the PC, I just want to squeeze a little bit more power out of it for Internet browsing, movie watching, and listening to music. It's not for any kind of gaming purposes.

Addicted Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Could always take a picture?

Difference between DIMM and SODIMM will be the length of the module. The former is about twice the length, give or take.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Experience

I purchased the one I linked to on takealot and it works perfectly.

6. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (November 9th, 2019)  

Experience

Glad it worked out. The page I read from HP said you needed different ram though so not sure if its a revised model or if I missed something.

*edit*

Oh I see sorry the one I saw the ultra slim form factor one when I searched. You got the one with 3 different models.
    LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content