Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions: Death Stranding (No Spoilers!)

Gaming Wizard
    Conductor of the poop train
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default First Impressions: Death Stranding (No Spoilers!)

So, I have spent ± 10 hours with Death Stranding so here is my first impressions. Right off the bat, I can safely say there will be a lot of gamers who adore Death Stranding (Like me) and will state that it’s game of the generation, but there is also going to be way more gamers who are going to outright hate it. Hopefully, this first impression would sway some to actually try Death Stranding. But before we start, the trailers for Death Stranding whether it is by design or by accident were utterly and completely confusing and doesn’t do the actual game any justice. So, before I start, I am going to try my damn best to actually explain the main aspects of the game. (Without Spoilers). All the stuff I am about to explain happens within the first hour of the game.

What does the word “Death Stranding” mean? In short, in the world of Death Stranding the borders that separate the worlds of the living and the dead have broken down. And now the dead manifest themselves in the world of the living. The “dead” have been “stranded” here, like a beached whale, hence Death Stranding. What are the invisible monsters they keep calling BT’s in the trailer? Simply put “Beach Things”. Which points back to what I said above. What are these void outs (Massive explosions)? When people die in the world of Death Stranding, they have to be cremated within 24 hours or else they become BTs. Should a wondering BT find a dead body, matter and antimatter meet and you get one big ass explosion. What is BB? “Bridge Baby” Children born from brain dead mothers.

In short, these babies have a connection to the other side through their mothers. BB connects to the other side since they basically have a connection to both sides, and you connect to the baby, which allows you to detect BTs. What is Time fall? The rain you see in Death Stranding is called “Time fall” rain that basically ages anything it touches, hence the special raincoats that Sam wears. That crazy arm clicky thing on your shoulder? Lets you scan the environment and is a directional sensor for detecting BTs. You will know when BTs are around, because it rains extra hard in the area, along with the arm going wild changing from blue to red. What is the Chiral Network? Imagine the entirety of the internet was ****ed up from coast to coast, you are trying to fix these broken connections. Why are there so many crying people in the game?

The people who have the ability to see the dead have what they call Chiral allergies when they have an interaction with a BT. Why do they call people like Sam DOOMS? DOOMS is a rare condition that afflicted certain people as a result of the Death Stranding, and gives certain people varying powers in observing BTs in Sam’s case he is a level 2 DOOMS he can only feel them but not see them. What is this mysterious beach we keep seeing in the trailer? It is a mirror reflection of the world of Death Stranding and that of the dead, basically limbo. Okay now that we have that out of the way who will enjoy Death Stranding? People who liked games Don’t Starve or Metal Gear Solid 5, and people who enjoy things like hiking and orienteering. Death Stranding strongly emphasizes terrain negotiation.

The best and most humorous way to describe Death Stranding is you are basically a delivery guy who moonlights as an internet guy for an internet service provider who works in the worst possible neighborhood ever. Is Death Stranding a “walking simulator?” If planning your route, navigating treacherous terrain during massive storms all the while fending off BTs and taking care of your BB then yes, I guess so. Having said that It’s like calling Skyrim a “Walking Sim” as well. Anything that makes you walk can be basically called a “Walking Sim”. I constantly have to make sure I am balanced and keep my eyes on the ground to make sure I don’t trip and fall over a rock and lose my cargo. Managing your cargo and balancing it correctly so you don’t easily trip over terrain and fall over is a highly addictive gameplay loop, which got even more addictive during the course of the game.

And I felt a certain level of achievement carrying the maximum amount of cargo (undamaged) to its final destination and getting an S rating. If you decide to get the game, I would highly recommend playing the game on hard, the higher difficulty gives you a greater sense of risk during missions. I can’t delve too deeply into the story of Death Stranding itself without spoiling certain things, but I can tell you the main theme that surrounds the game and that is reconnecting people who have lost connection with the rest of society. I actually get what Kojima is trying to explain here, how we live in a society where communicating with each other is now the easiest thing possible. Yet at this point in humanity’s history, we are more divided than ever due to things like social media and things like the news.

I also get that this is a metaphor for his struggles in the video game industry and how he had to reconnect with his friends in the industry to make Death Stranding a reality. Graphically Death Stranding is an impressive achievement. It uses Guerrilla’s Decima game engine the same graphics engine behind Horizon Zero Dawn and it shows. There were plenty of instances during the course of a delivery where I would simply just stop to admire the vistas and views on display. Special mention goes to the soundtrack of Death Stranding, with bands like Major Lazer x Khalid, CHVRCHES, Bring Me The Horizon, The Neighborhood, and The S.L.P just to mention but a few. It really is a nice touch having these songs play during the opening scenes and during crucial moments in the game and ads some real atmosphere to the game.

Is Death Stranding a video game for everyone? And will everyone get the same type of enjoyment out of the game? Most certainly not, it is most certainly the strangest game with the strangest gameplay concepts I have ever played in recent memory. Does it mean it is an inherently bad game? No, but I would highly recommend you give this game a chance because you will most likely miss one of the most unique and rather strange game (Even by Kojima standards) of this generation. And that is saying a lot as I have been very critical of Kojima and the cult that surrounds him. So give the game a chance and you might actually be pleasantly surprised. And the grand irony is that game that games story centers around bringing people together, yet I haven’t seen a gaming community so divided over a single game in a very long time…
    Via: https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/2019/...g-no-spoilers/
    Last edited by larch; November 10th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.
    Hidden Content Facebook Group:Hidden Content Instagram:Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (November 9th, 2019),  Master0z (November 9th, 2019),  Viking (November 9th, 2019),  xcaliber (November 9th, 2019)  

Oupa
    Need to sleep
    Game IDs
    Experience

Would like to give it a go, maybe after Starwars.

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

Some tips for those who are playing:

Thinking about crossing a river when taking a short cut? Scan it with the arm first:

Blue = You can cross it without no problem.

Yellow = If you brace with L2+R2, you can cross it. But if you run out of stamina you will washed away.

Red = Pretty self explanatory.

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by xcaliber View Post
    Would like to give it a go, maybe after Starwars.
    My wife mentioned something interesting while watching me playing it. She basically said it plays like a horror version of Breath of Wild. Wild open spaces views going on for ages and long distance traveling between points.

Oupa
    Need to sleep
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by larch View Post
    My wife mentioned something interesting while watching me playing it. She basically said it plays like a horror version of Breath of Wild. Wild open spaces views going on for ages and long distance traveling between points.
    From what I have seen it does resemble it. I tried to avoid trailers and such seeing as I do plan to pick it up. I watch a bit of Jim sterling review and if he hates it, it must be a good game.

Kinda bored of most games out atm.

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by xcaliber View Post
    From what I have seen it does resemble it. I tried to avoid trailers and such seeing as I do plan to pick it up. I watch a bit of Jim sterling review and if he hates it, it must be a good game.

Kinda bored of most games out atm.
    Well I can honestly say in my 30 years of gaming I have never played such a weird ass and intriguing game.

8. Saying Thanks:

xcaliber (November 9th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    soon...
    Game IDs
    Experience

The title of this thread is spelt without the "h" in Death...

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus69kc View Post
    The title of this thread is spelt without the "h" in Death...
    Fixed thanks!

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

12. Saying Thanks:

icebreaker202 (November 11th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    Game IDs
    Experience

When **** goes south it goes south badly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast