Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DUALSHOCK 4 Back Button Attachment

Addicted Member
    I talk to myself coz I want expert advice.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAna View Post
    Just for a comparison, the D4BBA is releasing here on 14th Feb for $50, which is R500.

Attachment 101716

I think Sony missed a trick here, if they added a battery into that and said that it could power the DS4 for an extra hour or 2 i think they would get a lot more sales of this.

Source:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/12/ne...e-dualshock-4/
    There must be a better acronym for this so the Flintstones theme song can stop playing every time I read it .

2. Saying Thanks:

creemyv (December 19th, 2019),  MarioAna (December 19th, 2019)  

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Master0z View Post
    There must be a better acronym for this so the Flintstones theme song can stop playing every time I read it .
    Sorry, it seems to have stuck now. But thanks for putting the Flintstones into my head now.

Gaming Wizard
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

If, or when, there's a local site that has details like price or perhaps a pre-order please inform me.

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Bit of a review:

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/14/...&utm_source=dl

Basically it does what it says but what it says is pretty basic. Most will just remap the R3 and L3 which might be enough for most people.

6. Saying Thanks:

creemyv (January 15th, 2020)  

Very Senior Member
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Game IDs
    Experience

Bit of a review:

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/14/...&utm_source=dl

Basically it does what it says but what it says is pretty basic. Most will just remap the R3 and L3 which might be enough for most people.
    I use a CreativeMind Strikepack on my DS4 and in any FPS game it makes a night and day difference. Never having to take my thumb off the my aim stick has decided way more than one gunfight.

I want to get this, purely to test it out, plus the whispers that it will work natively with the DS5, which the Strikepack wont. I'm at a point now that playing games without the paddles actively feels like I've cut off a finger.

For reference,

Destiny 2:
    Right pad: X - Jump
    Left pad: Square - Reload/Interact

Siege:
    Right pad: Circle - Crouch

CoD:
    Right pad: Circle - Crouch/Slide

Racing:
    Right pad: Gear Up
    Left pad: Gear Down

You really don't realize how amazing the difference is until you have been playing with paddles and then playing without them.

I bought a Nacon Rev2 for PC because my Strikepack doesnt work too well on the PC, purely for the back buttons. Even then, the DS4 is just a better controller all around for feel/comfort, plus the triggers on the Nacon are super stiff, which is kak for anything other than shooters.

8. Saying Thanks:

MarioAna (January 15th, 2020)  

Addicted Member
    "PS4 Sky have no Cloud"
    Experience

IGN "review"

PS4's Back Button Attachment Is Impressive, Comfortable, and May Tease the PS5

Sony made a surprising announcement before the end of 2019 ó an official $29 add-on for the DualShock 4, the Back Button Attachment. A somewhat cumbersome addition to the controller that adds backtouch paddles, making the DualShock more akin to the Xbox Elite Controller or various other third-party gamepads.

Iíve been using it for a little over a week, and while it took some getting used to after 20-something years of the familiar DualShock form, Iíve actually grown to love using the extra buttons, and hope that it indicates what we might expect with the PS5ís controller.

What Is the PS4 Back-Button Attachment?
    Sonyís newest peripheral is an attachment that plugs into the DualShock 4ís EXT port and headphone jack (it includes a passthrough if you still want to plug in a mic and/or headphones). It includes two additional buttons, which fan out from the center of the controller and rest against the handles of the DualShock, meeting in the middle at a circular OLED screen, which can be pressed in to program or view which buttons these two new ones represent.

And those two buttons can be programmed to pretty much replicate every button on the DualShock 4, whether they be face buttons, triggers, or directional pad...directions.

A Cumbersome, But Comfortable, Attachment
    I didnít have the best first impression of the attachment ó itís meant to snugly fit onto the DualShock as if it were originally part of the controller (more on that in a bit), which means a bit of finesse is required when plugging it in. I found myself worried Iíd even break it as I tried to piece it together the first handful of times, but once I got the hang of it, I admired how durable the attachment feels when plugged in. It adds only a little weight to the controller and quickly and naturally felt right in my grip of the DualShock.

Programming it is a breeze once itís properly synced to your controller, as the OLED screen showcases the programmed inputs and can quickly cycle through the possible inputs when in its programming state.

The buttons themselves have a welcome click, and have never felt mushy at all. Being so used to the DualShock as originally designed, I gripped the attachment loosely at first, worried Iíd be accidentally clicking those buttons all the time. But the new buttons are smartly balanced ó they have a good click to them, but they also donít depress at the slightest touch. You wonít be able to grip your controller in tight frustration at a Bloodborne boss battle, per se, but the attachment allows for a much more comfortable grip than I initially expected to have.

Despite my initial concerns about snapping off its connector, Iíve really appreciated the build quality of the attachment. Obviously built to mesh with PlayStationís original design for the DualShock 4, the Back Button Attachment is sturdy and perfectly lined up to fit with the DualShock.

Playing With the Back Button Attachment
    Iíve primarily chosen to use the back buttons as analogs for L1 and R1, so my trigger fingers never have to leave L2 and R2, while my naturally resting middle fingers can tap these new inputs. And so far itís worked great, letting me swap weapons on the fly in Fortnite, or for quick taps of Assassinís Creed Odysseyís light R1 attacks. The other best solution, in my personal experience, has been to assign two of the directional buttons to the new inputs to minimize having to move my hand off the left thumbstick.

There are some buttons Iíd personally never change them to, but allowing the back button to take on any of those inputs is a great accessibility move, and one Iím glad Sony is finally considering more. It did take a minute to get used to, though. Iíve been playing games on a DualShock largely the same way for decades, and so having to retrain my brain suddenly to ignore buttons Iíve used day after day for years was not an overnight switch. Iím still occasionally pressing the original L1 or R1 instead of these new buttons, but have enjoyed their convenience as, over time, I use them more and more.

Battery is a major consideration with this attachment. The DualShock 4 already has notoriously low battery life, especially compared to other consolesí controllers, and this new attachment doesnít help, obviously. It is definitely more of a drain, maybe an hour or so less on average, but Iíve learned to always have a spare DualShock 4 charged lying around after six years, so it hasnít been much of a hurdle to overcome.

Preparation for the PS5?
    And Iím definitely taking the time to get used to the buttons. Not only because I have enjoyed their convenience, but because of my sneaking suspicion about the attachment itself. Sony has not officially said anything about the attachmentís implications for the PS5ís new, still unnamed controller, but it feels like a safe bet that at least some version of the controller will feature these same back buttons.

Consider the mounting evidence ó PS5 controller patents have revealed a version that includes very similar buttons. The same year as a new consoleís launch is also a very peculiar time to introduce an official, first-party peripheral ó an extremely rare thing this generation ó that introduces something Xbox Elite controllers have had for years now.

Maybe itís just PlayStation wanting to offer some parity with competitors and third-party controller makers. Maybe Iím just Charlie Kelly trying to uncover Pepe Silvia. But introducing this peripheral now feels like a great way to ensure players can not only become familiar with the layout but possibly even use their DualShock 4ís with the PS5. After all, itís a move Xbox is planning with Xbox One controllers on Series X, and to allow the 106 million PS4 owners to use their DualShocks in a full capacity next-gen is not a bad reason to introduce the peripheral.

Whether the Back Button Attachment is a sign of a PS5 future to come, or just a neat, additional offering from Sony, Iím very glad to have it. Its arrival may be as odd as first trying to plug in the attachment, but after a few days playing with it, it already feels like an integral part of my PlayStation playtime. And if itís here to stay, Iíd welcome a world where itís built into the controller.
    "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?"
    Hidden Content

Addicted Member
    I talk to myself coz I want expert advice.
    Experience

If these back buttons does indeed come with the DS5, then I sincerely hope you can customize them as well instead of just being like R4/L4

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Master0z View Post
    If these back buttons does indeed come with the DS5, then I sincerely hope you can customize them as well instead of just being like R4/L4
    Well since you can remap anything on the DS4 already as is I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Games will also support it natively on the PS5 since every controller will have it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

Most will just remap the R3 and L3 which might be enough for most people.
    That makes no sense though, point is to have buttons mapped so you NOT lifting your thumbs off the analogues..

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coldcat View Post
    That makes no sense though, point is to have buttons mapped so you NOT lifting your thumbs off the analogues..
    For MP yeah I guess but R3 and L3 are the worst buttons on the controller.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast