Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty says exclusives will be cross-gen for 2 years

Addicted Member
    Destati
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Erm it’s the same game engine they used across the entire Uncharted series.

Same engine also used for Last of Us, which was a PS3 title as you know.

Doing Uncharted 4 on the PS3 would have been quite possible, but much like Last of Us it would have been lower fidelity of course.

This isn’t rocket science.

It was perfectly possible, just didn’t make much sense as the PS4 was already well in the field by then.

Last of Us is actually a perfect example of why this cross gen thing could work.

It was a PS3 game that became a PS4 game that then became an even higher fidelity 4K PS4 game.
    TLOU is not at all a perfect example. That game was developed for the PS3 not the other way around. The engine was actually used since the Crash and Jax days so I guess it’s safe to assume Uncharted 4 could run on a PS2 then...

The fact that you’re claiming it’s not rocket science boggles my mind. Again, we have no idea what goes into game dev. Even then, just judging by the game itself, the cinematics, animation, the bigger open areas, the levels, all of that..you’re just assuming it could easily be ported backwards. Come on man....this is next level gymnastics now

Experience

Hectic, so apparently rumors floating Xbox One Series X will feature a Windows Mode, with Steam/Epic integration, you'll be able to install and play Steam/Epic games locally, damn son, Phil going all out.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xbox-S....450015.0.html
    Games: Oblivion Platinum, LBP, RB6V2, SFIV, Turok, GRAW2

gaming informed.

Addicted Member
    Destati
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    @koeksisterRpgFan, @SauRoN knows everything
    The levels of hoops Iím seeing people jump through for MS is crazy

4. Saying Thanks:

SPR1NGBOKKE (January 14th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¨ł¨)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by koeksisterRpgFan View Post
    Like I said earlier, devoid of logic.

Quote Originally Posted by psuno View Post
    Hectic, so apparently rumors floating Xbox One Series X will feature a Windows Mode, with Steam/Epic integration, you'll be able to install and play Steam/Epic games locally, damn son, Phil going all out.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xbox-S....450015.0.html
    So Sony will have no real competition in the console market then. You don't need me to tell you why it's a bad idea for Ms to turn xbox into a glorified steam machine.

6. Saying Thanks:

SPR1NGBOKKE (January 14th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Got nothing to do with jumping through any hoops for anyone.

I actually have no idea what you are even referring to.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

TLOU is not at all a perfect example. That game was developed for the PS3 not the other way around. The engine was actually used since the Crash and Jax days so I guess itís safe to assume Uncharted 4 could run on a PS2 then...

The fact that youíre claiming itís not rocket science boggles my mind. Again, we have no idea what goes into game dev. Even then, just judging by the game itself, the cinematics, animation, the bigger open areas, the levels, all of that..youíre just assuming it could easily be ported backwards. Come on man....this is next level gymnastics now
    Some of us have a fairly good idea what goes into game dev, so donít project your own lack of understanding on everyone else.

Obviously the game wouldnít look the exact same, the areas would be tighter or the textures much lower to accommodate the larger areas etc.

Fact is it could have been done on the PS3 from a strictly gameplay perspective.

And yes while the engine was the same back in the PS2 days it did receive a considerable overhaul with the PS3 era and Uncharted games and LoU.

Whether the game could be made to work isnít a problem really, the question really just relates to the compromises and sacrifices that would need to be make.

The only major difference between the engine on PS3 and PS4 is processing power. Fundamentally the game is the same and could have been done on the PS3, there was just no logical incentive to do so, especially since the architecture was different and required more work.

Now the architecture with the Xbox One and XSX will scale seamlessly so thatís most of the work done already, then there is simply optimisation on top.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    So Sony will have no real competition in the console market then. You don't need me to tell you why it's a bad idea for Ms to turn xbox into a glorified steam machine.
    Yeah I have to agree that rumour makes no sense.

Steam as an app running specifically compatible games in a console would make sense to me, but a desktop Windows mode not so much.
    Hidden Content

Addicted Member
    Destati
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Some of us have a fairly good idea what goes into game dev, so don’t project your own lack of understanding on everyone else.

Obviously the game wouldn’t look the exact same, the areas would be tighter or the textures much lower to accommodate the larger areas etc.

Fact is it could have been done on the PS3 from a strictly gameplay perspective.

And yes while the engine was the same back in the PS2 days it did receive a considerable overhaul with the PS3 era and Uncharted games and LoU.

Whether the game could be made to work isn’t a problem really, the question really just relates to the compromises and sacrifices that would need to be make.

The only major difference between the engine on PS3 and PS4 is processing power. Fundamentally the game is the same and could have been done on the PS3, there was just no logical incentive to do so, especially since the architecture was different and required more work.

Now the architecture with the Xbox One and XSX will scale seamlessly so that’s most of the work done already, then there is simply optimisation on top.
    No projection is going on, only one of us is assuming that it’s easy to port the game backwards. You remove all context and any game on current gen can be ported to previous gen. Bloodborne? No problem, gameplay is similar to Dark Souls, that existed on PS3 and 360 so there you go. A game and a gameplay experience is the sum of all components from visual to audio and to actually playing...but anyway, if anything, I applaud your gymnastics, but your logic and reasoning has seriously gone down the drain these days.

Addicted Member
    ďAdventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.Ē
    Game IDs
    Experience

ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

Something to consider is that very few if any devs would have had hands-on with dev kits as far back as 2018. AAA takes 3-5 years at least. So “next gen” only really starts 2021/22 at the very earliest, if they got kits early. So Microsoft’s support window fits.

The games releasing in 2020 and 2021 was probably specced and started 2015/2016. Long before even amd had a design down. We almost never see a “uses all the power and features game” in the first year or two of a new-gen.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 ... LastLast