Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here using Rain 5G ?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    I looked at the Huawei router on the site and that looks like the one I got for my renter. Can't really confirm though or there could be a different router that's available
    Its the N5368X. They used to send the indoor one only, you only got the indoor/outdoor one if a technician couldn't find signal.
    From December it's standard for the contract guys : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/5g/33...r-with-5g.html

Apparently the outdoor one is better when it rains. Will see how it goes when the rain arrives.

2. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (January 17th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

If you were lucky enough to be a previous rain customer and invited to the early access of 5G there's no contract. You just paid R1000 for the router and can cancel any time. Would have been nice for new customers to be offered the same
    Not really feasible as the Router costs R5000.

They need to make up for that somewhere and the best option is in a contract....or bill the customer when they want to leave which nobody is going to be happy about.

Contracts really aren't that bad as long as the service is decent, it's not like you aren't going to use the internet for 2 years.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

4. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (January 17th, 2020)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post

Placed the order on Wednesday morning, delivered Thursday morning, RICA'd and activated by Thursday night.
    5G seems very line of sight dependent, I see why they send a unit that can be mounted on a pole.

Luckily I can see the tower being used (the closest is visible on the optimiser Rain site) and it's 500m away. Set it up in the lounge window pointing through a gap in the trees.

Honestly if you have the choice between fibre and 5G, go with the fibre.
    But if you don't have fibre, 5G is an option worth considering.

They only have 24 month contracts but you can cancel within 30 days and not pay cancellation fees (after that, its R2k to cancel but decreases a bit each month depending how long you have left on the contract - its in the T&Cs).

Overall I'm happy
    Sounds good. With regards to their T’s & C’s, if the service suddenly becomes really poor after say 6 months, i’ll just need to pay the R2k cancellation fee, and the contract will be cancelled?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post
    Sounds good. With regards to their T’s & C’s, if the service suddenly becomes really poor after say 6 months, i’ll just need to pay the R2k cancellation fee, and the contract will be cancelled?
    Pretty much.

Summary from the T&Cs :
    Cancel within 30 days, send the router and its full packaging/accessories back and get a full refund at no charge.

After 30 days, send the router and its full packaging/accessories back and pay an early termination fee which depends on which month of the contract :
    2nd month - R2,000
    3rd month - R1,909
    4 - R1,818
    5 - R1,727
    6 - R1,636
    7 - R1,545
    8 - R1,455
    9 - R1,364
    10 - R1,273
    11 - R1,182
    12 -R1,091
    13 - R1,000

7. Saying Thanks:

Fid (January 17th, 2020),  QuiXilver (January 17th, 2020),  ryuDswift (January 18th, 2020)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    Its the N5368X. They used to send the indoor one only, you only got the indoor/outdoor one if a technician couldn't find signal.
    From December it's standard for the contract guys : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/5g/33...r-with-5g.html

Apparently the outdoor one is better when it rains. Will see how it goes when the rain arrives.
    Ah OK. My tenent hasn't ever complained about the service tain or shine but then the apartment is quite close to the tower and the router is setup to take into consideration line of site
    Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Not really feasible as the Router costs R5000.

They need to make up for that somewhere and the best option is in a contract....or bill the customer when they want to leave which nobody is going to be happy about.

Contracts really aren't that bad as long as the service is decent, it's not like you aren't going to use the internet for 2 years.
    I was lucky enough to get into the preview program for my tenent so I'm not fussed but I've never been a fan of contracts

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Ah OK. My tenent hasn't ever complained about the service tain or shine but then the apartment is quite close to the tower and the router is setup to take into consideration line of siteI was lucky enough to get into the preview program for my tenent so I'm not fussed but I've never been a fan of contracts
    I do think you can do it without contract, but then you buy the hardware up front and I reckon very very few people want to dish out R5k up front.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

I presume 5G performance is subject to weather conditions as well, right? If there's a storm for example, will performance be degraded? I'm not too fazed about a contract. My worry is when more people jump on and there's congestion or is that alleviated by the number of towers required for 5G?

Oh the other thing I'm going to call them about but maybe I'm no reading it correctly but in their t's and c's they say you can cancel in the first month if you're not happy provided that the router is unused. How can it be unused if you need to use it to determine if you're happy or not?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    Oh the other thing I'm going to call them about but maybe I'm no reading it correctly but in their t's and c's they say you can cancel in the first month if you're not happy provided that the router is unused. How can it be unused if you need to use it to determine if you're happy or not?
    I chatted with their support staff on this - as long as it's in good condition it can be returned in 30 days - not unused as that doesn't make sense.

I got a free month on my fibre with Afrihost when I was going through the cancellation process to see when I can cancel so decided to order the 5g and test it out.

12. Saying Thanks:

Fid (Yesterday)  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123