Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afrihost... What a let down

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppableErasor View Post
    Update:

Fibre company was here, speeds are still s...bad.
    most recent test is 5down5up
    Do you know what they did to try and resolve your problems?
    Did they provide any useful feedback?

Very Senior Member
    Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing
    Game IDs
    Experience

Not sure about the exact name of the test.
    Basically plugged something in and said that the line is above 27db, and it should be below 26db

Recrimped my connection, went to the server to check my connection to the server.
    Then explained that I'd get max 20mb on that line, sounded line the network is over loaded, and that they need to get another server up.

What it sounded like to me:
    The network is overloaded at the moment, and that there needs to be hardware added to make the issue go away.
    Also even if I throw more money at the problem, and make my line faster, it will still be slow.

Not sure if it could be due to the influx of people getting internet at home to work from home.

For now I requested a line downgrade to see if that improves the quality of the line.
    "Be your own hero, it's cheaper than a movie ticket" - Douglas Horton

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppableErasor View Post
    Not sure about the exact name of the test.
    Basically plugged something in and said that the line is above 27db, and it should be below 26db

Recrimped my connection, went to the server to check my connection to the server.
    Then explained that I'd get max 20mb on that line, sounded line the network is over loaded, and that they need to get another server up.

What it sounded like to me:
    The network is overloaded at the moment, and that there needs to be hardware added to make the issue go away.
    Also even if I throw more money at the problem, and make my line faster, it will still be slow.

Not sure if it could be due to the influx of people getting internet at home to work from home.

For now I requested a line downgrade to see if that improves the quality of the line.
    Afrihost isn't congested. They have a staggering amount of bandwidth at their disposal - the only time their network sucks is when there is a major cable break and most of their bandwidth is useless.

Network congestion is most common thanks to infrastructure issues. You can easily check by using a data account for another ISP. It should experience the exact same issues. Nothing Afrihost can do about it. Downgrading your speed shouldn't do anything other than save you money, if the faster speed is mostly unattainable.

Needing a line to have less than 26dB of something doesn't make much sense to me. That range would be excellent as a signal-to-noise ratio and for line attenuation.

4. Saying Thanks:

SLYGUY (May 25th, 2020),  unstoppableErasor (May 25th, 2020)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    Afrihost isn't congested. They have a staggering amount of bandwidth at their disposal - the only time their network sucks is when there is a major cable break and most of their bandwidth is useless.

Network congestion is most common thanks to infrastructure issues. You can easily check by using a data account for another ISP. It should experience the exact same issues. Nothing Afrihost can do about it. Downgrading your speed shouldn't do anything other than save you money, if the faster speed is mostly unattainable.

Needing a line to have less than 26dB of something doesn't make much sense to me. That range would be excellent as a signal-to-noise ratio and for line attenuation.
    I agree Afrihost really has a solid network, I have a 200Mbps line with them and due to the nature of my work my usage for May 2020 was 4TB no signs of slow speeds at all. Its sad some customers have bad experiences but hope that Afrihost help them to resolve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12