Thread: Steam South African Pricing differences

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Steam South African Pricing differences

Hey, guys

I have noticed that some of the pricing on our SA Steam store doesn't match up to that of the US and European ones.
    For example I got Kingdom Come Deliverance full price on Steam for R175 but on the US store I think it is $30.
    Then I saw that Horizon Zero Dawn was put on pre-order on our store for much lower than the equivalent US price. But then it was changed.

I am interested in getting the Mafia Definitive Edition because on our store it is R169, whereas on the US store it is $40.
    In the even that I purchase it now at the R169, what happens if they increase the price to reflect a price closer to the US store? Will I just keep the game at the price I got it for or will it be refunded and removed from my store?

Thanks for the help.

Experience

You will keep it at the price you paid.
    If they increase the price then the only thing that happens is people regret not buying it earlier, previous buyers are unaffected.
    Chelsea FC | Vettel | PC Gamer

3. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (September 15th, 2020),  ChinchillaBau5 (September 16th, 2020)  

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

In general our Steam prices are way, way cheaper than the US prices.

It also seems like it's likely to stay that way. I know Steam fairly recently implemented a policy where linking a credit card has to match the region of the account in order to stop people from other regions signing up for accounts with cheaper pricing.

5. Saying Thanks:

ChinchillaBau5 (September 16th, 2020)  

Experience

It's great though. I remember Nioh at launch was like 260, Horizon as well but it got fixed. AOE3 definitive is 130. Nier Automata was a good 400 cheaper than on consoles. Get some real bargains sometimes. Other games stay expensive forever lol.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jer1cho View Post
    It's great though. I remember Nioh at launch was like 260, Horizon as well but it got fixed. AOE3 definitive is 130. Nier Automata was a good 400 cheaper than on consoles. Get some real bargains sometimes. Other games stay expensive forever lol.
    I think its because of Steams market research where they can be like "This country doesn't really like this game or won't pay the price so adjust it to where more people will buy it". There are a lot of games that I bought that I would not have done so otherwise as well so I guess it is money to the publisher/developer that would otherwise have stayed with me?
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    I think its because of Steams market research where they can be like "This country doesn't really like this game or won't pay the price so adjust it to where more people will buy it". There are a lot of games that I bought that I would not have done so otherwise as well so I guess it is money to the publisher/developer that would otherwise have stayed with me?
    I think it's more them realising that we suffer from African poverty here so they give us relative pricing for our buying power.

Very Senior Member ChinchillaBau5's Avatar
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    You will keep it at the price you paid.
    If they increase the price then the only thing that happens is people regret not buying it earlier, previous buyers are unaffected.
    Many thanks. I am glad we can counter the weakening Rand a bit!