Page 1 of 15 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PS5 Launch Issues and Bugs

Experience

Default PS5 Launch Issues and Bugs

Good morning everyone

Seeing as the PS5 launch is accompanied by quite a few bugs (some more serious than others), I think it will be good idea to have a thread that summarizes all of the known bugs, issues, and fixes, and to update this thread as issues are resolved. If possible, could the mods please sticky this thread so that the information is easily available.

Actions that could potentially brick the PS5 on the current firmware
    • Using the LAN port on the console [NO FIX / FIX UNCONFIRMED]
    • Transferring data from the PS4 to the PS5 [NO FIX / FIX UNCONFIRMED]
    • Using rest mode, especially while a game is running [NO FIX / FIX UNCONFIRMED]
    • Using external storage of any kind [NO FIX / FIX UNCONFIRMED]
    • Pulling the power cord when the PS5 freezes [NO FIX / FIX UNCONFIRMED]

While many of the features listed above works correctly for most users, it has been linked to the sequence of events that caused other user's PS5 to be bricked completely. To be safe, avoid the items listed above until official feedback is received from Sony that the bugs have been fixed.

Firmware Bugs and Issues
    • When inserting a game disc, and manually clicking Copy on the dashboard, the game might uninstall by itself when the disc is later removed. [FIXED]

Only applicable to firmware 20.02-02.25.00 and older
      How to avoid: DO NOT click Copy when inserting a new game disc, and allow the game to finish installing by itself.

How to fix: Re-insert the disc and wait for the installation to finish. If the installation does not start by itself, insert the disc, and restart the console with the disc still inserted. On the next boot, the console should detect the disc and start the game's install.

Fixed in firmware update 20.02-02.26.00

• Many games are crashing and freezing. This issue affects a lot of users at this stage and is a widespread problem that is not tied to a specific sequence of events or a specific game.

What to do: Be patient when a system crash or freeze happens, and allow the system to recover. DO NOT unplug the power cord.

• Games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watchdogs Legion, and others that should have PS4 to PS5 upgrades, does not give you the option to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 version when clicking on the 'three dots' button in the library.

Device issues and complaints
    • Downloads takes a long time to finish: It seems that the PSN servers are overloaded with the global release of the PS5, and system updates and game updates can take a very long time to finish. This should resolve in the next few days.

• The PS5 makes a humming noise, even with no disc inserted: According to Sony this is normal and is referred to as 'coil whine'.

Potential Fix: The noise might be caused by a sticker coming halfway loose inside the PS5 fan. Once removed, the 'coil whine' sound goes away. See the following article for more information:

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-coil-wh...how-to-fix-it/

• The disc drive makes a loud noise when inserting a disc: This is normal if the noise is audible for the first few seconds after the disc is inserted. A clicking noise is NOT normal and might point to a hardware issue with the drive itself, which should be repaired.

• The front USB port is not charging the controller while in rest mode. [FIXED]

Fixed in firmware update 20.02-02.26.00

Firmware Update History (newest first)

Version 20.02-02.50.00

• The PS4 version of the game was sometimes installed from the PS4 game disc even after upgrading the disc version of a PS4 game to the PS5 version.
    • This system software update improves system performance.

Version 20.02-02.30.00

• Resolved an issue where data transfers and downloads were cancelled when trying to download content while a data transfer from a PS4 is in progress.
    • Some issues that were causing errors during text input in some PS4 games have been resolved.
    • The connection stability has been improved for some Wi-Fi routers.

Version 20.02-02.26.00

• An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
    • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

Version 20.02-02.25.00

• An issue where users couldn't download games because only the "Queued for Download" or "View Details" option was displayed was resolved. If you encounter this issue, update the system software to the latest version, and then try starting your PS5 in safe mode to rebuild the database.

Link to official release notes: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/su...stem-software/

If anyone experiences any other bugs or issues, please post in this thread so that it is easy to access for other PS5 users. Also, should an official fix be released for any of the known issues, I will update this thread accordingly.
    Last edited by SoldaatZA; February 3rd, 2021 at 11:36 AM.

2. Saying Thanks:

Archie1 (November 20th, 2020),  Cathal (November 20th, 2020),  creemyv (November 20th, 2020),  HiMz_ZA (December 1st, 2020),  KenMasters (November 25th, 2020),  Midnights_Ghost (November 20th, 2020),  rayyan1881 (November 20th, 2020),  Seth (November 26th, 2020),  SLYGUY (November 23rd, 2020),  SPR1NGBOKKE (November 25th, 2020),  Sting_Ray (November 26th, 2020),  Tag11 (November 21st, 2020),  Vic54 (November 20th, 2020),  Viking (November 20th, 2020)  

Oupa
    (oo)
    Experience

My Ps4 disc version of AC:Valhalla does not allow or recognize that there can be a free upgrade to the ps5 version that can be downloaded although the disc sleeve clearly indicates it should be possible . I logged the issue with UBIsoft. So be careful buying PS4 versions at this stage.

Addicted Member
    Run Like The Wind
    Game IDs
    Experience

So Basically to avoid any issues on a Launch console, don't buy a launch console?
    Make Money Online With Clixsense!
    Hidden Content

5. Saying Thanks:

felixbf (November 20th, 2020),  Midnights_Ghost (November 20th, 2020),  Yiannaki (November 24th, 2020)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SoldaatZA View Post
    The front USB port is not charging the controller while in rest mode
    This might just be down to people not going into their power management settings and switching USB power to on when in rest mode.

Also, I don't think it's using LAN itself that's an issue, rather using LAN for the data transfer process from a PS4.

Very Senior Member
    The Silent Killers: Mimes, Cholesterol and NiN...
    Experience

My PS5 has been turned off since last night, not rest mode but properly off.

This morning I have gotten notifications via the PS app about games being g ready for play after downloading. Even one game that I didn't install at all, and a few others that did notify me correctly last night after downloading is sending notifications this morning.

Odd seeing as the console is off.

Oupa
    "The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."
    Experience

Should I rather not use LAN, but switch to Wifi?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    My Ps4 disc version of AC:Valhalla does not allow or recognize that there can be a free upgrade to the ps5 version that can be downloaded although the disc sleeve clearly indicates it should be possible . I logged the issue with UBIsoft. So be careful buying PS4 versions at this stage.
    You are right, I am seeing on quite a few forums that people are experiencing problems with upgrading PS4 games to PS5, and it does not matter if the upgrade is free or if you must pay for it. For some reason the PS5 does not offer the option to upgrade.

10. Saying Thanks:

Highwayman (November 20th, 2020)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky/C View Post
    Should I rather not use LAN, but switch to Wifi?
    I would stay clear of the LAN port for the time being if I were you, even though I hate connecting a console to Wifi. There were instances of consoles being bricked even if there was no data transferred from a PS4, and the only culprit seems to be that the LAN port was connected. It does not make a whole lot of sense to me that a LAN port could brick a console, but looking at other people's experiences, it seems like it is a reality.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    This might just be down to people not going into their power management settings and switching USB power to on when in rest mode.

Also, I don't think it's using LAN itself that's an issue, rather using LAN for the data transfer process from a PS4.
    Some people claim that they did enable the option under Power Management and still nothing. It could also be that they have a busted front USB port. Luckily the front USB charging issue is not something major or very common.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    My PS5 has been turned off since last night, not rest mode but properly off.

This morning I have gotten notifications via the PS app about games being g ready for play after downloading. Even one game that I didn't install at all, and a few others that did notify me correctly last night after downloading is sending notifications this morning.

Odd seeing as the console is off.
    This sounds like a bug in the Playstation App itself. Could you confirm if the games that you did not install at all, but which the app reported to be installed, did actually install on the PS5 itself?

Page 1 of 15 12345 ... LastLast