Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Xbox series X/S launch issues and bugs

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZA View Post
    @AdrianH
    Please send me the process so I can log a repair for my series x controller?
    Thanks man
    I don't know the repair process, I just registered the controller on my devices at MS. I would presume you can log a repair for it after registering it though.

http://account.microsoft.com/devices

2. Saying Thanks:

LegendaryZA (November 21st, 2020)  

Experience

Yea they will collect , and send a new unit normally

4. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (November 21st, 2020),  LegendaryZA (November 21st, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

I don't care what the reasons are for this, but it is unacceptable. I do have a theory of anybody wants to have a civil conversation.

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Anybody else keen to hear my theory?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Anybody else keen to hear my theory?
    Shoot

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Shoot
    So I was thinking about what Cerny about it's easier to fill less CUs running at a higher frequency.

So we have the PS5 having 36 CUs running at 2.2GHz (I think) and XSX having 52 CUs running at 1.8GHz (I think). I wonder if the performance issues is related to the current game engines for RDNA2 haven't matured enough to fully utilize the total number of CUs on the XSX. What has shown before with regards to console, it takes a few years to tap all the power of the hardware in them.

I know from my own programming experience, the more you scale your software horizontally (ie: create more threads so that more processing in the application can run in parallel) the more coding is required. It also comes to the point where the current design of your application can only be scaled so much before you basically scrap it and start with a new design.

So theoretically it could be that these games are not even hitting the max CU count on the PS5 yet, mind about the max CU count on the XSX. So hypothetically, if these game engines are only managing to tap 30 CUs currently as a max , it could be why the XSX is struggling as 30 @ 2.2GHz is better than 30 @ 1.8GHz.

Ag, just a theory, thought it might be nice to have a discussion without the usual noise around MS.
    Last edited by AdrianH; November 22nd, 2020 at 01:54 AM.

9. Saying Thanks:

Hiro (November 22nd, 2020),  mantis za (November 22nd, 2020)  

Experience

You have a more current programming knowledge than me. Last time I programmed was when you still used Turbo Pascal and I wasn't very good at it. That said though I know GPUs were designed to be in paralle while CPUs were designed with series instructions in mind.

I think I will disagree on your theory based on our current PC graphics cards. Or we can take the 10 series for geforce as an example. So the 1070 was clocked higher than the 1080. The 1080 has a higher core count with lower clocks. The 1080ti even more cores and even lower clocks. As for why in Dirt 5 that particular thing is happening maybe its a setting that makes the game look like the series s even if its a higher resolution?
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

11. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (November 22nd, 2020),  mantis za (November 22nd, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    You have a more current programming knowledge than me. Last time I programmed was when you still used Turbo Pascal and I wasn't very good at it. That said though I know GPUs were designed to be in paralle while CPUs were designed with series instructions in mind.

I think I will disagree on your theory based on our current PC graphics cards. Or we can take the 10 series for geforce as an example. So the 1070 was clocked higher than the 1080. The 1080 has a higher core count with lower clocks. The 1080ti even more cores and even lower clocks. As for why in Dirt 5 that particular thing is happening maybe its a setting that makes the game look like the series s even if its a higher resolution?
    I agree GPUs were designed for processing data in parallel. I don't know much about programming for modern GPUs really. Last time I did any graphics programming was late 90s or early 00s with OpenGL.

I hear you about those GPUs. I think infancy of RDNA2 and DX12U could be contributing to the performance. I did read AC Valhalla is also experiencing stuttering and tears on PCs as well. It may be that DX12U has performance issues, or maybe drivers and DX12U struggling to work well together right now.

What would be an informative benchmark would be the XSX compared to two PCS, one with similar GPUs, except one being Nvidia and one being AMD. That would be quite telling.

EDIT: So what were the benchmarks between the three cards?

Experience

oh right something else to take into consideration.

Remember that the PS5 has 16GB of ram, slower than SeX fastest 10GB but faster than the SeX slowest 6GB. I don't know how the system is set up to use memory. I would imagine textures gets a priority fill on the 10GB while data would go to the 6GB. How that allocation is done I don't know. So I believe that could also be a reason behind the drop in detail as its slower ram for tesselation and geometrical calculations.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

14. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (November 22nd, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    oh right something else to take into consideration.

Remember that the PS5 has 16GB of ram, slower than SeX fastest 10GB but faster than the SeX slowest 6GB. I don't know how the system is set up to use memory. I would imagine textures gets a priority fill on the 10GB while data would go to the 6GB. How that allocation is done I don't know. So I believe that could also be a reason behind the drop in detail as its slower ram for tesselation and geometrical calculations.
    Yes, slower speed 6GB might be an issue. If velocity architecture is used to stream textures and other things, does it reduce the amount to memory needed?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast