Thread: New to Xbox: question about Xbox gold and gamepass

Experience

Default New to Xbox: question about Xbox gold and gamepass

Hey guys,

I have been a PlayStation gamer my whole life, did play alot of Xbox 360 at my cousin's place for a while back in the day. In all honesty I am waiting for more stock to arrive on the ps5 probably early next year but in the mean time I would like to try out Xbox and looking to get a series s tomorrow.

I have a question about the subscriptions though, so there's gamepass and Xbox gold and gamepass is like a rental services and Xbox gold is required to play online.does gold give you free games for your library that you keep like PS plus? Also how much does each cost and do I need both to really enjoy the series s?

Even though I plan on getting the ps5 I might land up keeping the series s as well if I am really enjoying it.so let me know what's needed for the long term as well.

Also on a separate note the controller takes batteries which isn't something I like the sound off.i know there was charge and play batteries for previous Xbox consoles is there one for the new gen? If not, the controller is pretty much the same will the previous gen one work without buffering the controller in any way?

Gaming Wizard
    Wear my heart on my sleeve
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by el shubi View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been a PlayStation gamer my whole life, did play alot of Xbox 360 at my cousin's place for a while back in the day. In all honesty I am waiting for more stock to arrive on the ps5 probably early next year but in the mean time I would like to try out Xbox and looking to get a series s tomorrow.

I have a question about the subscriptions though, so there's gamepass and Xbox gold and gamepass is like a rental services and Xbox gold is required to play online.does gold give you free games for your library that you keep like PS plus? Also how much does each cost and do I need both to really enjoy the series s?

Even though I plan on getting the ps5 I might land up keeping the series s as well if I am really enjoying it.so let me know what's needed for the long term as well.

Also on a separate note the controller takes batteries which isn't something I like the sound off.i know there was charge and play batteries for previous Xbox consoles is there one for the new gen? If not, the controller is pretty much the same will the previous gen one work without buffering the controller in any way?
    A man after my own heart lol

Yeah same boat big time Playstation guy BUT I'm waiting on a digital version of the PS5 and a col edition one at that so right now my console of choice is the series S it's a way for me to have access to both platforms without having to fork out 12k for a series X, anyway I digress.

YES you require Xbox Live to play to play games online, this is very much like PSN plus where you get a few free games a month with your subscription.

Gamepass is very much like you described (Netflix for consoles) you pay your monthly sub and you have access to a massive library of games that they keep refreshing constantly.

I do suggest you get both for the Series X/S however you don't have to pick between the two because gamepass ultimate includes Gamepass/Xbox Live and just recently EA Play for R150 pm with a starting month for R15.

I also thought the battery thing was B's and to a certain degree it is BUT there are things that work to your advantage if you are smart.

Buy a rechargable battery pack and you will constantly have a charged controller without it being connected to your console or docking station

Hope this helps

Yes you require Xbox Live to play online and yeah
    Last edited by mantis za; November 21st, 2020 at 11:55 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Mantis is purposefully obtuse and stubborn, fuelled by fanboyism he will defend contrived rationale to the point of contradiction. Noman - 2019

3. Saying Thanks:

bokka1 (November 22nd, 2020),  el shubi (November 22nd, 2020)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mantis za View Post
    A man after my own heart lol

Yeah same boat big time Playstation guy BUT I'm waiting on a digital version of the PS5 and a col edition one at that so right now my console of choice is the series S it's a way for me to have access to both platforms without having to fork out 12k for a series X, anyway I digress.

YES you require Xbox Live to play to play games online, this is very much like PSN plus where you get a few free games a month with your subscription.

Gamepass is very much like you described (Netflix for consoles) you pay your monthly sub and you have access to a massive library of games that they keep refreshing constantly.

I do suggest you get both for the Series X/S however you don't have to pick between the two because gamepass ultimate includes Gamepass/Xbox Live and just recently EA Play for R150 pm with a starting month for R15.

I also thought the battery thing was B's and to a certain degree it is BUT there are things that work to your advantage if you are smart.

Buy a rechargable battery pack and you will constantly have a charged controller without it being connected to your console or docking station

Hope this helps

Yes you require Xbox Live to play online and yeah
    Thanks so much for this def excited about the library that comes ready to play with the sub, spend more that R150 on games anyway.

Just one thing on the battery pack, is there one specifically for the series controllers or are they all the same, just want to know what I should pick up while I'm out.

Also, I hear you on the 12k for series x, to get both systems would be rough. Happy that Xbox did make a cheaper one that I can use to try out and see what they have to offer.
    Last edited by el shubi; November 22nd, 2020 at 07:12 AM.

5. Saying Thanks:

bokka1 (November 22nd, 2020)  

Game IDs
    Experience

If you already have a battery charger then gets this:

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-...00000112586_EA
    Hidden Content for all your Thailand travel adviceHidden Content

7. Saying Thanks:

el shubi (November 22nd, 2020)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bokka1 View Post
    If you already have a battery charger then gets this:

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-...00000112586_EA
    Great, will do thanks for this

Game IDs
    Experience

Great, will do thanks for this
    Or this for the xbox series as it is a type c connector Link

10. Saying Thanks:

el shubi (November 22nd, 2020)  

Experience

Will be picking up from IC so that's convenient, looks like today is out though so tomo after work

Experience

So finally picked it up and looks good just did the set up now, tomorrow we play

Some unboxing screenshots

13. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (November 23rd, 2020),  FiveStarZA (November 23rd, 2020),  Uberutang (November 24th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

So finally picked it up and looks good just did the set up now, tomorrow we play

Some unboxing screenshots
    Enjoy it man.

15. Saying Thanks:

el shubi (November 24th, 2020)