Thread: Apple Tv 4K Device vs App

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Apple Tv 4K Device vs App

My apple tv 4k device decided to brick. It's 2.5 years old. There's no ethernet or usb port and a few sites online said to keep unplugging and plugging it in to factory reset it but to no avail. I took it to the istore and they booked it in. Overseas, the guys reported getting a refurbished model replacement for free even out of warranty - not sure if that applies here.

If they come back with anything that's going to cost more than a couple hundred bucks I'm considering not going ahead with the repair.

I have the appletv app on my Series X so I'm thinking of just going that route.

I pretty much just use it for movies and the occasional air drop. I found this article helpful if anyone else was wondering what the difference between the box and app was:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1596552095

Edit: Just saw that the xbox app isn't there yet. Hopefully it gets updated.
    Last edited by QuiXilver; Yesterday at 12:06 PM.

Game IDs
    Experience

Very useful, thanks. Are you sure the app isn't there for Xbox? I was able to download and install from both stores, XsX and PS5.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    My apple tv 4k device decided to brick. It's 2.5 years old. There's no ethernet or usb port and a few sites online said to keep unplugging and plugging it in to factory reset it but to no avail. I took it to the istore and they booked it in. Overseas, the guys reported getting a refurbished model replacement for free even out of warranty - not sure if that applies here.

If they come back with anything that's going to cost more than a couple hundred bucks I'm considering not going ahead with the repair.

I have the appletv app on my Series X so I'm thinking of just going that route.

I pretty much just use it for movies and the occasional air drop. I found this article helpful if anyone else was wondering what the difference between the box and app was:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1596552095

Edit: Just saw that the xbox app isn't there yet. Hopefully it gets updated.

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Apple Tv 4K Device vs App

Quote Originally Posted by Sybawoods View Post
    Very useful, thanks. Are you sure the app isn't there for Xbox? I was able to download and install from both stores, XsX and PS5.
    I meant it wasn't in the article. Lol sorry I see I could've phrased that better.
    Last edited by QuiXilver; Today at 03:13 PM.

4. Saying Thanks:

Sybawoods (Today)  

Very Senior Member
    The Silent Killers: Mimes, Cholesterol and NiN...
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post

This happened to me as well. ATV 4k was 14 months used, so just out of warranty. An update bricked it, and it just put an error on screen that said to take it the nearest Apple store for a software update. They said they couldn't do it, sent it to Core Group, which reported the unit is bricked and the software update fails. Sorry for you, buy a new one (feedback from Core Group)

I kicked up a stink with Apple global customer feedback about how Core handled it, then got a call from a lady in Ireland. Explained the situation to her, she said they normally don't do it but as the unit was bricked during a software update, they'll send a replacement. I said can't the local store give me a new unit instead of sending the replacement from Ireland? She said no, she will herself do it. Got an unmarked box which I picked up the Apple store, sent by her. Only the ATV inside, no cables, no remote, but a brand new ATV.

Hope you can get yours sorted.

6. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (Today)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    This happened to me as well. ATV 4k was 14 months used, so just out of warranty. An update bricked it, and it just put an error on screen that said to take it the nearest Apple store for a software update. They said they couldn't do it, sent it to Core Group, which reported the unit is bricked and the software update fails. Sorry for you, buy a new one (feedback from Core Group)

I kicked up a stink with Apple global customer feedback about how Core handled it, then got a call from a lady in Ireland. Explained the situation to her, she said they normally don't do it but as the unit was bricked during a software update, they'll send a replacement. I said can't the local store give me a new unit instead of sending the replacement from Ireland? She said no, she will herself do it. Got an unmarked box which I picked up the Apple store, sent by her. Only the ATV inside, no cables, no remote, but a brand new ATV.

Hope you can get yours sorted.
    Thankfully, I have the app to fallback on if they give me any grief. It is out of warranty and looks like a power dip caused the issue. Not sure if it was mid update or what. I'll let you guys know what happens. I received an sms not too long ago saying it has been shipped to an authorized service centre.

Gaming Wizard
    Crossbuy.Crossgen.Crossplay
    Game IDs
    Experience

The app on the LG tvs are great. Good to know there is also xbox one to get.