View Poll Results: Should an anti-scalp clause be added to marketplace rules?

Voters
88. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Permanently ban the sale of goods are higher than retail pricing

16 18.18%
  • Yes - Add a clause that temporarily disallows the sale of brand new high demand goods (few months)

11 12.50%
  • No - Allow free trading with current rules

61 69.32%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-scalping clause for marketplace rules

Experience

Question Anti-scalping clause for marketplace rules

As per @Viking thread here: https://sagamer.co.za/forum/showthre...-and-ps5-sales I have decided to make the poll since no one seems to be interested in making one. There needs to be a discussion around this with arguments for the rule. Clearly things got uncivilized as , let's face it, scalping is a dick move even if its legal. As much as you want to say "**** your feeling" it doesn't help your dick size the slightest either.

Legally, there is no stance on this. You buy something and resell it. You can sell it at any price and a buyer can offer anything they want. If a seller wants R20k for an R12k item he/she/it is allowed to do so (normally) and if a buyer wants to offer R20 instead or R20k that is also allowed.

I would imagine since people will be using this freedom to spam people overcharging for a PS5 at this point it might be in the forums best interest to remove or disallow these sales. Do we limit it to consoles or graphics cards though? What happens to games that has just been finished? Some games are put onto the market place a week after it being finished. Where do we draw the lines?

I think a lot of people have made up their minds so I wont try change that. I do feel both sides needs its discussion though. So let me put up the poll, I will make the votes public, feel free to discuss or just vote if you know what you want to happen.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

Raikan007 (December 27th, 2020),  Squidbeard (December 27th, 2020),  Viking (December 27th, 2020)  

Oupa
    ALL DAY SON
    Game IDs
    Experience

If it's members that match the current requirements, it's a fair marketplace. Completely unnecessary to start regulating our (heavily-unregulated as of late) forum.

Owners of the forum are AWOL, and we have like 3 active mods. Who will even police this?

4. Saying Thanks:

bokka1 (December 28th, 2020),  Cathal (December 27th, 2020),  Uberutang (December 28th, 2020),  Viking (December 27th, 2020)  

Oupa
    I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Sales are the business of the seller and buyer, regardless of my feelings towards its price and availability.

If I disagree with the sale, I close the thread and move on.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

I don't see why the h**l people are getting so sore about people using Sony's lack of stock to make money. The same thing is happening with graphics cards but no one is b****ing about it.

Also asking the forum admins to police the price people are asking for their property, that they bought is ridiculous.

The problem with there not being enough PS5's because Sony has stock issues, so someone's granny can buy one is not the issue.

There's a fu***ng pandemic which has made the current year a problem. Again I never saw complaints over Alcohol or even when PS4's and xbox One's shot up in price. Suck it up and stop whining. If you feel the price is too high then wait until the shortage issues have been resolved.
    Last edited by xdav666; December 27th, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
    You know you about to fight the main Boss when the red dragon you fighting turn's & Say's **** this i'm outa here.

7. Saying Thanks:

Boquito17 (December 27th, 2020),  NobodyKnows (December 27th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    Husband. Gamer. Hero.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by xdav666 View Post
    I don't see why the h**l people are getting so sore about people using Sony's lack of stock to make money. The same thing is happening with graphics cards but no one is b****ing about it.

Also asking the forum admins to police the price people are asking for their property, that they bought is ridiculous.

The problem with there not being enough PS5's because Sony has stock issues, so someone's granny can buy one is not the issue.

There's a fu***ng pandemic which has made the current year a problem. Again I never saw complaints over Alcohol or even when PS4's and xbox One's shot up in price. Suck it up and stop whining. If you feel the price is too high then wait until the shortage issues have been resolved.
    "I never saw people complaining"

Did you not see the court cases. Did you not see the tons of facebook groups, the scathing articles on who runs the off market tobacco sales.

People complained constantly, just not on a gaming forum.
    Final Fantasy 15 was disappointing. Hype failed me. I am Squirtbird.
    Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    why are you reading this and not my post?
    Experience

It's simple, ignore the thread in the market place. The scalpers won't have much success here so they won't bother posting any more.

Yeah it's messed up trying to take advantage of peoples desperation for a ps5, but if you not interested is buying one, why should it effect you? If I have the money & really want ps5 is my decision to pay the inflated price or not. It's not your money.

End of the day that's how business works, seller wants top dollar & buyer wants best price, comes down to who is willing to comprise the most.

As stated earlier, people were selling booze and cigarettes for silly prices during lockdown and people were bragging back then about what they paid. How is that any different? In fact it's actually worse as that was illegal at the time & basically falls under substance abuse.

I'm sure most people have sold stuff in the past & made a profit at the end of the day. Hell I've sold 2 of my bikes in the past for more than what I paid for them 2nd hand originally.
    Hidden Content
    Visit Hidden Content for my Blog as a Saffa in Namibia

10. Saying Thanks:

TheSource (December 27th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

How much do either sides really care about the issue? I have a feeling both sides don't really care that much but it just seems like a good thing to argue or point out. Most of the discussion comes of as pseudo outrage from both sides tbh.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    How much do either sides really care about the issue? I have a feeling both sides don't really care that much but it just seems like a good thing to argue or point out. Most of the discussion comes of as pseudo outrage from both sides tbh.
    I think those wanting to sell really cares about it because if they didn't they would be sitting with stock on their end until they eventually have to let it go for sub purchase value while on the other side people feel outraged at the exploitation aspect.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    Wear my heart on my sleeve
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vast_aire View Post
    You get your PS5 yet?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Mantis is purposefully obtuse and stubborn, fuelled by fanboyism he will defend contrived rationale to the point of contradiction. Noman - 2019

Experience

This forum is slowly dying. Don't chase away the new members (scalpers), but let forumnites comment as they please in those threads.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast