Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next-Generation PlayStation VR

Oupa
    I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Some possible PSVR2 patents, including tracking of non-electronics and a controller.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...atent-trawling

Last edited by Cathal; March 3rd, 2021 at 05:18 PM.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Ninja
    Best Mafia Player 2012
    Sipho/Sipson I dont know anymore :'(
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Some possible PSVR2 patents, including tracking of non-electronics and a controller.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...atent-trawling
    Whole lot of VR announcements coming today

Oupa
    I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Siphon View Post
    Whole lot of VR announcements coming today
    Yup, Doom 3 VR is the first among them.

Not specifically for the upcoming PSVR2 though.

Edit:
    Song in the Smoke is next.
    Last edited by Cathal; March 3rd, 2021 at 05:38 PM.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Very Senior Member
    Spring is a season of meetings and partings
    Experience

Update, here are the new controllers. Really hope there's a Half Life Alyx port down the line.

Next-gen VR on PS5: the new controller
    Features
    The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

● Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

● Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

● Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

● Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

● Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

SIE’s Product, Engineering, and Design teams have collaborated to build our new VR controller from the ground up with a goal of making a huge leap from current-gen VR gaming. We’re thrilled with the controller we developed, but what matters now is how game creators will take advantage of the features to design the next generation of VR experiences. Prototypes of our new VR controller will be in the hands of the development community soon, and we can’t wait to see what ideas they come up with and how the controller helps bring their imagination to life!

There’s still much more to share about the next-generation of VR on PS5. On behalf of all of us at SIE, I want to thank you for taking this journey with us!
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03...r/#sf244047824
    Last edited by GnarkillZA; March 18th, 2021 at 03:01 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds. Fire walk with me.

5. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (March 18th, 2021),  Fid (March 18th, 2021),  KenMasters (March 18th, 2021),  MarioAna (March 19th, 2021)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GnarkillZA View Post
    Update, here are the new controllers.
    Looking good, they're really going for it this time around.

7. Saying Thanks:

noman (March 18th, 2021)  

Experience

Good stuff - skipped on VR the first time round, but definitely jumping in for this.

Experience

Seems like the valve index controller inspired everyone. Will definitely look into PSVR. Hoping that they can use a direct wifi to the headset though. Don't want to be tethered down.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Glad i traded my PSVR when i picked up my PS5 knowing i'd be day 1 for PSVR2.

Finger tracking is going to make things a lot more interesting and i hope it works well.

This is also interesting:

"Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller."

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Sony unveils new VR controllers for the PS5

Following on from its PS5 VR headset announcement, Sony has unveiled new controllers designed to partner with it. As you can see from the picture above, they're an interesting orb-shape and fit around the hand like a futuristic pair of knuckledusters.

They feature the same adaptive trigger technology as seen on the PS5 DualSense controller. That means you'll feel palpable tension when you pull them back, which makes actions like drawing back a bow feel more realistic. There's also the usual complement of buttons as you would find on a DualSense pad.

Haptic feedback also features, and it has been "optimised for [the controllers'] form factor", according to Sony. It adds little vibrations to the experience so, for example, walking through rocky terrain will feel different from strolling over a grassy hill.

The addition of finger touch detection means they can also sense your fingers without requiring you to actually press them against the controller. The new VR headset can track each controller using a tracking ring located underneath.

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/news/so...rs-for-the-ps5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12