Thread: Next-Generation PlayStation VR

Oupa
    I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default Next-Generation PlayStation VR

Details are scarce, but a PlayStation Blog post is up!

First details on the next-generation VR system coming to the PS5 console.
    More than four years ago, we launched PlayStation VR to offer a transformative new way to play games on PS4, providing a much stronger sense of presence and deeper immersion to players compared with traditional games. In that time, we’ve seen tremendous experiences that have propelled virtual reality gaming forward, including highly acclaimed titles like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Tetris Effect, Blood & Truth, Moss, Beat Saber, and Resident Evil 7 biohazard. We’ve also enhanced the experience for some PS VR titles when played on PS4 Pro and PlayStation 5.

Today I’m pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That’s just one of the examples of future-proof technology we’re developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

There’s still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won’t be launching in 2021. But we wanted to provide this early update to our fans, as the development community has started to work on creating new worlds for you to explore in virtual reality.

We also want to thank all of our PS VR players for your continued support — with upcoming games like After The Fall, Sniper Elite VR, and Humanity, there’s much more to come for PS VR whether you’re playing on PS4 or PS5. With both PlayStation VR and the next-generation VR system we’re building, our commitment to virtual reality as a medium for games is stronger than ever. We look forward to sharing more details in the future!
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02...mpression=true
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

2. Saying Thanks:

Fid (February 23rd, 2021),  MarioAna (February 23rd, 2021)  

Oupa
    Game IDs
    Experience

Being cagey with information:

Q: All right, PlayStation VR 2. The second PlayStation VR. What are we calling it at the moment?

A: We’re not calling it anything at the moment.

Q: So the obvious question is what’s changed from the first headset?

A: So this will be a completely new VR format for PS5. PlayStation has considered VR as a strategic opportunity and a big innovation story. We think there are two themes that you’re going to see: us capturing the technological progress that has taken place since the present VR system came to market and a considerable amount of lessons learned. Because the present system was our first one. [Changes will be] things like moving to a very easy single-cord setup with this one and many other similar learnings. Dev kits are about to go out.

Q: VR is getting a lot more traction now, but it’s still a nascent market. Why make a follow-up to the first headset?

A: We believe in VR and have been extremely happy with the results with the present PlayStation VR and think that we will do good business with our new VR system for PlayStation 5. More importantly, we see it as something beyond this coming iteration that really could be really big and really important. We like to innovate; we think our community likes us to innovate. I’d turn around the question and say, “Why not?” For us, it’s a very logical step to take. We’re very excited by it and we think that people who are going to make VR games for our new VR system are going to be very excited too.

Q: So the big difference, which you mentioned there, is that it’s going to be one cord that you connect to your PlayStation 5…

A: That was a very simple and visible illustration of a lesson that we’ve learned from when iterating from the present system to the new one. We’re not actually releasing any specs at this stage. That will start to come over the course of this year when we’ll be talking more.

Q: The PS5’s launch line-up was very bullish. Can we expect the same for this new PS VR?

A: We’re not saying anything specific today about any developer support, whether it’s our own studios or any of our publishing partners, but obviously we will launch our new VR system with appropriate software support.
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/cultur...interview-2021

4. Saying Thanks:

MarioAna (February 23rd, 2021)  

Experience

I'm still not sold on VR so depending what they do with it on PS5 and beyond I might get into otherwise I'll just pass.

Oupa
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cravinho View Post
    I'm still not sold on VR so depending what they do with it on PS5 and beyond I might get into otherwise I'll just pass.
    Personally enjoyed most of the experiences I've had on the current iteration of the PSVR.

So if we see massive improvements, I'll definitely invest in this one too.

7. Saying Thanks:

rayyan1881 (February 24th, 2021)  

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

I'll probably pick one up early on.

I traded my PSVR in when i picked up the PS5 thinking a PSVR2 would be coming and it seems to be happening quicker than expected. I was thinking more like 3 years after PS5 launch. I know people want wireless but i just could never see that happening with trying to keep the price reasonable.

1 cable, no problem but i hope there's real improvement to every aspect.

Game IDs
    Experience

Now that Sony have a bit more horsepower to back it up and a more elegant solution, I might pick one up. Let's see what the display resolution ends up being.

Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Game IDs
    Experience

0 interest still.

Game IDs
    Experience

Definitely picking it up, really enjoyed psvr and can only imagine the improvements with ps5 horsepower and haptic feedback. Bonus if current vr games have increased resolution via backwards compat as I have loads of games and lots I am yet to play in my library.

12. Saying Thanks:

rayyan1881 (February 24th, 2021)  

Experience

This is what sets the ps5 apart for me. With experience now from the previous gen this is gojng to be a homerun.
    I am very interested in psvr since MS isn't in this ball park. Keenly watching developments here

Experience

Can I get my Psvr adapter first ...damn SONY