Page 1 of 62 123452151 ... LastLast

Thread: When everything is racist

Experience

Angry When everything is racist

Yesterday I just happened to hear it over the radio and it really upset me to no end. The actor playing Apu in the Simpsons for the past 30 years felt the need to apologize for "structural racism".

For years actors have played other races and genders. We have had female actors taking the leads as male, sometimes even as a parody of the situation itself. Mulan as an example of this where the culture is that of male combatants fantasized with a disney princess approach. Even Leon with his multiple personas imitated the stereotypical traits of races, genders and even cultural standing.

The first thing probably coming to mind is Leon with his Indian persona showing up to an AWB rally or the speedcop from Panic Mechanic. What about the time he played a women at a Bless Bridges performance insisting on a flower?

I feel that the world has lost its mind that anything other than grey is racist. Smiling is not allowed because it means someone is happier than you and clearly shows a racial disposition. You cannot play a man if you're a woman because you have no idea what that gender is like. You cannot play a white man as a black person because you were not born as one. How dare you imitate the most notable trait of a different culture or race?

I don't know if I am just completely oblivious to anything offensive but I do feel the world is falling apart and at some point the movie equilibrium will become more of a reality than once imagined.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (April 14th, 2021),  Dutch84 RSA (April 14th, 2021),  Neptune (April 20th, 2021),  one_iron (April 14th, 2021),  PoisonousZebra07 (April 14th, 2021),  SamVImes (April 14th, 2021),  SPR1NGBOKKE (April 15th, 2021),  UrBaN (April 14th, 2021),  Vic54 (April 16th, 2021),  Wyvern (April 14th, 2021)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Yesterday I just happened to hear it over the radio and it really upset me to no end. The actor playing Apu in the Simpsons for the past 30 years felt the need to apologize for "structural racism".

For years actors have played other races and genders. We have had female actors taking the leads as male, sometimes even as a parody of the situation itself. Mulan as an example of this where the culture is that of male combatants fantasized with a disney princess approach. Even Leon with his multiple personas imitated the stereotypical traits of races, genders and even cultural standing.

The first thing probably coming to mind is Leon with his Indian persona showing up to an AWB rally or the speedcop from Panic Mechanic. What about the time he played a women at a Bless Bridges performance insisting on a flower?

I feel that the world has lost its mind that anything other than grey is racist. Smiling is not allowed because it means someone is happier than you and clearly shows a racial disposition. You cannot play a man if you're a woman because you have no idea what that gender is like. You cannot play a white man as a black person because you were not born as one. How dare you imitate the most notable trait of a different culture or race?

I don't know if I am just completely oblivious to anything offensive but I do feel the world is falling apart and at some point the movie equilibrium will become more of a reality than once imagined.
    But everything is racist my guy!

It's true though, everything can be taken as racist these days, if you are so inclined. To be sure, there is racism, but man the lengths we go to these days to find a racial undertone is frightening.

Imagine if people were just people and not white people or black people or whatever.

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    and at some point the movie equilibrium will become more of a reality than once imagined.
    What happened in the movie Equilibrium? I've seen it a long time ago, but I can't remember the specifics.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nykfist View Post
    What happened in the movie Equilibrium? I've seen it a long time ago, but I can't remember it at all.
    All i remember is Sean Bean dies..oh also that awesome GUN KATA

6. Saying Thanks:

nykfist (April 14th, 2021),  Sting_Ray (April 14th, 2021)  

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch84 RSA View Post
    All i remember is Sean Bean dies..oh also that awesome GUN KATA
    So the same as every movie he's in, amirite?

8. Saying Thanks:

Dutch84 RSA (April 14th, 2021)  

Addicted Member
    Comedian of the Year 2013
    Praise the sun! \|--|/
    Game IDs
    Experience

It's usually a bunch of privilege, virtue signalling liberal white pussies getting offended on behalf of people of color

10. Saying Thanks:

mantis za (April 14th, 2021),  Neptune (April 20th, 2021),  one_iron (April 14th, 2021)  

Game IDs
    Experience

The key is in trying to understand the historical context in which a group has been depicted and why they would want to move away from such depictions.

Not every argument is equally valid, some are undoubtedly taking things too far, but it is incumbent on us to make the effort to understand the argument first rather than reject it on the basis of our normative values.

That is the entire point of what is happening in the world today. We have recognised and are now coming to terms with a worldview shaped largely from a white, male perspective and the harm that has potentially done to the psychological outlook of society.

So yes, some things are a bit nuts, but that's a by-product of the process of rebalancing that needs to occur.

12. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (April 16th, 2021),  cowbrains (April 14th, 2021),  Maverick Mike (April 14th, 2021),  nykfist (April 14th, 2021),  Sting_Ray (April 14th, 2021)  

Oupa
    I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Just your privilege blinding you, SB.

ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by D4RKL1NGza View Post
    It's usually a bunch of privilege, virtue signalling liberal white pussies getting offended on behalf of people of color
    "People of colour" is such a bull**** phrase as well.

15. Saying Thanks:

D4RKL1NGza (April 14th, 2021)  

Addicted Member
    Comedian of the Year 2013
    Praise the sun! \|--|/
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The key is in trying to understand the historical context in which a group has been depicted and why they would want to move away from such depictions.

Not every argument is equally valid, some are undoubtedly taking things too far, but it is incumbent on us to make the effort to understand the argument first rather than reject it on the basis of our normative values.

That is the entire point of what is happening in the world today. We have recognised and are now coming to terms with a worldview shaped largely by the from a white, male perspective and the harm that has potentially done to the psychological outlook of society.

So yes, some things are a bit nuts, but that is a the by-product of a process of rebalancing that needs to occur.
    But maybe I'm just a dumb white male but how is an actor doing an accent racist? the word "Racist" has lost all meaning

17. Saying Thanks:

Neptune (April 20th, 2021),  vermillon (April 15th, 2021)  

Page 1 of 62 123452151 ... LastLast