Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1141575859606162 LastLast

Thread: When everything is racist

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    Its called messing with you, like you have done to me plenty times.
    Entirely different scenarios. And i imagine most of those comments had a

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock ZA View Post
    Don't know if Steve Biko or Hector Pieterson will agree with you.

BTW not every process. We can now study hard and become anything we want. Not just limited to the scraps we were allowed to become. Do not speak as if you have a clue about what is it to be a POC dude.
    Just to be a dick. Do not speak as if you have a clue about what it is to be a white dude.

For example I can't dance for **** and have a small weenie. You will never understand my struggles.

3. Saying Thanks:

BEANIBIL1TY (April 22nd, 2021),  Warlock ZA (April 23rd, 2021)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by millennia View Post
    Entirely different scenarios. And i imagine most of those comments had a
    Only 2 of the 3. See, you really see me as some Essex orange dude because that one didn't even have with it.

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainE View Post
    Just to be a dick. Do not speak as if you have a clue about what it is to be a white dude.

For example I can't dance for **** and have a small weenie. You will never understand my struggles.
    Word!

Gaming Wizard
    Husband. Gamer. Hero.
    Game IDs
    Experience

That's so kind of you.

Ps you're still a ****
    And you are still an irish slave.

Very Senior Member
    Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing
    Game IDs
    Experience

For example I can't dance for ****
    Try a tazer in your jacket pocket, when you need some spice, just give yourself a jolt.

have a small weenie.
    I believe one gets extensions, either adult store or Ferrari show room floor
    "Be your own hero, it's cheaper than a movie ticket" - Douglas Horton

8. Saying Thanks:

Warlock ZA (April 23rd, 2021)  

Addicted Member
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppableErasor View Post

I believe one gets extensions, either adult store or Ferrari show room floor
    He speaks from experience
    Seek and you shall find! Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

I'm hoping you see how those terms offer nothing to the conversation, and are responses to play on emotions of the person they are directed to. So as an example, if I were to reply...

I am amazed that you can't understand that what you wrote is condescending and patronizing. I'm surprised you're even arguing that it isn't. If you had bothered to read up on what condescending means, you would have noticed that its not actually about intelligence but patronizing superiority. This might be news to you, but condescending means "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority". You are wrong!

or I could reply....

I don't agree with your reply. My understanding of condescending is "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority" which is different to yours. Just because you say intention was not to be condescending, doesn't mean it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    Nope, I have never stated that, merely that its not my intention. Perhaps I can come across that way sometimes. I also can be sarcastic at times. These are the sentences you have problems with below. I will explain my thoughts whilst typing them so you can see I didn't have bad intentions:
    Its amazing that you can't understand... - I think context would help explain this one but its basically my surprise because I thought something I wrote was clear and perhaps it wasn't. I was figuring out how to say it better
    I'm surprised you are even arguing that. - Again, this expresses my surprise on your take on something, it in no way indicates that I feel I am more intelligent than you are.
    If you had bothered to read the weblink I provided... - you admitted you didn't read all of it and it was very clear by your reply that you missed what I was trying to show you. Its also sarcastic not condescending
    This might be news to you... - Nothing wrong with this sentence, its like saying "maybe you didn't know this"
    I think you will agree there is a stark difference in the responses that elicit totally different emotions and responses to the person it is directed to. No matter the reasons, context, intensions, those kind of responses almost always lead to bad feelings.
    Last edited by AdrianH; April 23rd, 2021 at 01:57 PM.

Addicted Member
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    I'm hoping you see how those terms offer nothing to the conversation, and are responses to play on emotions of the person they are directed to. So as an example, if I were to reply...

I am amazed that you can't understand that what you wrote is condescending and patronizing. I'm surprised you're even arguing that it isn't. If you had bothered to read up on what condescending means, you would have noticed that its not actually about intelligence but patronizing superiority. This might be news to you, but condescending means "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority". You are wrong!

or I could reply....

I don't agree with your reply. My understanding of condescending is "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority" which is different to yours. Just because you say intention was not to be condescending, doesn't mean it wasn't.

I think you will agree there is a stark difference in the responses that elicit totally different emotions and responses to the person it is directed to. No matter the reasons, context, intensions, those kind of responses almost always lead to bad feelings.
    No I don't agree. Give it a rest dude, seriously. Talk about flogging a dead horse
    Seek and you shall find! Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    No I don't agree. Give it a rest dude, seriously. Talk about flogging a dead horse
    If you don't want to not see my posts, then you are free to ignore me.

Condescending...

• having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority
    • displaying a patronizingly superior attitude
    • showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others
    • showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority

That said, the reason to why this discussion went the way it did, is because of the remarks that didn't focus on the topic, but focused on me. A simple check of this would show the word "you" exists in all of them as they are directed at the me, they are of a personal nature.

Being condescending is about is a person's relative appraisal of the others based on various characteristics like status, knowledge, character, money, age and other characteristics of this nature. They are used by people to classify and rank others. It happens subconsciously as it is part of the person's personality, its not something that is switched on and off at command, and all humans do this.

So if John says "Its amazing that you can't understand...." or "I'm surprised you are even arguing that..." while talking to Jane, John has effectively placed Jane into his reality, how he sees the world. In this reality, he has also ranked Jane based on certain characteristics mentioned above. The only way John can be amazed or surprised is because it is based on his reality and where he placed and ranked Jane in his reality, but this all happened subconsciously.

All people see the world in a certain way, this is their reality. People don't intend to see reality in a particular way, their reality is what they see, and according to them it is 100% real. This is why saying "it was not my intention" does not come into play with regards to being condescending. Being condescending is taking what your subconscious has already decided and expressing it for the others person to see.

You made remarks like "Its amazing that you can't understand...." which means you have already placed me into your reality and ranked me. Just because your intention was not to be condescending with those remarks, doesn't mean it wasn't.

Being condescending works the same way as being arrogant and patronizing, most people don't realize they are. Or in some cases they do, but don't want to acknowledge to themselves they are, nobody wants to associate a negative characteristic with themselves. There are plenty arrogant, patronizing, condescending people on this planet, yet how many will stand up characterize themselves are being arrogant, condescending or patronizing.

I believe I have conducted myself quite well with regards to the discussion we were having. I tried my best to remove any and all personal remarks.
    Last edited by AdrianH; April 23rd, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1141575859606162 LastLast