Thread: The Evilution of Resident Evil

Experience

Default The Evilution of Resident Evil

When thinking back to survival horror the first game that comes to mind is Hugo's House of Horrors. ...just kidding. Alone in the Dark with its music, its strict movement and its atmosphere even though it was bright and colourful rather than dark still helped create that sense of tense atmosphere.

Resident Evil hit the playstation and saturn in 1996 upping the detail with higher quality music, better looking models, cgi cut scenes and adding voice acting. It's puzzles where interesting and while elaborate it made sense for the most part.

The initial RE2 was scrapped because it was too much like the first and we ended up getting the RE2 that we know today. The real life cutscenes instead were replaced with fully cgi cut scenes, a more character interactive perspective between the main cast, and a more action approach with more ammo and larger hoards. You can say it was Aliens to Alien. Never the less it is hailed as one of the best games of the series and one of the best of the PSX.

RE3 got release at the tail end of the PSX life cycle and it wanted to move away even further from its survival horror into a more action based game.

RE veronica was the first transition to 3D and story wise it was looking to expand where the T virus originated from. It pretty much mimiced the normal fan fare gameplay wise.

RE Remake and RE Zero came at a time when the genre believed to be dead and yet it sold better than expected. RE remake was a remake of the first game on the gamecube with much darker tone and setting and a change to the voice acting. It also updated some puzzles that didn't make as much sense during the originals release. RE Zero which serves as a origination side story that happens along side the mansion events and was a cancelled N64 project. Both titles returned to the pre-rendered backgrounds as more detail could be added to the scenes rather than wasting power on 3D calculations.

RE4 was the first step away from the survival horror aspect and more into the realm of an action game. You collected gems and treasure, sold it to a vendor, upgraded your weapons and improved your health. The camera was now an over the shoulder view and the game was in full 3D.

RE5 kept the play style but focused on the co-op craze of the late 00s believing it adds longevity to the game. The last remnant of survival horror was gone.

RE6 seek to recapture the audience it lost but ended up alienating more of its players by incorporating the worst of the console generations traits. Co-op like its predecessor, quick time events, call of duty like gameplay just like every game. Side by side the game was unrecognizable against its earlier entries.

RE7 took up the first person view and while many were skeptical at first it turned out to be one of the best RE games in a decade. The slower pace, a return to elaborate puzzles, an inventory management system all mimicked the glory days of the franchise from a brand new perspective.

RE2 remake and RE3 remake. These 2 games were ones that many RE fans had been longing for after a RE2 fan remake hit the internet. After a cease and desist Capcom finally took it upon themselves to give fans what has been requested for for ages. The result being one of the best RE games ever with the RE2 remake even introducing us to the Tyrant renamed to Mr X as a monster that followed you around. The game was crafted with immense care to remain as truthful to the original while also modernizing other aspects.

RE3 remake on the otherhand was less well received having Nemesis relegated to set pieces and large redesigned sections that were far from its original counter part.

RE8 sees the return of Ethan, the protagonist of RE7. While it brings over the changes from RE7 it also merges the mechanics from RE4 such as an larger inventory system with weapons being different sizes, a treasure system to sell collectables and upgrade your weapons, a system where you increase your health, movement and block damage reduction. It also brings over the challenge points from RE3 remake where you can buy items from a bonus menu such as infinite ammo rather than having the player earn a certain rank by completing the game in under a certain time limit with certain objectives.

One of the biggest changes from prior resident evil games is the move away from science to super natural. Other than RE0 the games focused largely on viruses and how they are used as biological weapons with additional results such as enlarged creatures. RE4 introduced Las Plagas which moved slightly away from the virus plot but was still in the realm of a parasite with weird effects.

Spoilers ahead if you haven't played or finished the game.

RE7 still slightly connected the dots but RE8 forgoes this entirely. Bosses and other monsters are changed to be more supernatural rather than biological or science fiction. The village seemingly taken over by werewolves, the castle with its vampire ladies (actually carnivorous fly colonies), the dolls, the fish and finally the mechanical super soldiers. The game starts off as survival horror but as you progress it turns into a kill everything you come across with later playthroughs being more like an action game. A decent progression but a setting that is outside of the RE universe and more akin to the likes of the Evil within or Silent Hill.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

WhoDatNinja (May 12th, 2021)  

Very Senior Member
    Best Trader 2013
    Married
    Game IDs
    Experience

Did you type this or is it from an article you copy and pasted?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    Lol clearly typed. With a lot of effort I might add. Pretty good post and is dissecting game series in an interesting way.

This kinda thing is what this forum needs more of. Not a dick measuring contest or moan session.

Personally, Resident Evil 1 and 2 are the pinnacle for me. I loved 3 and 4 back in the day, but 1 and 2 were just special. It got me into so many other games I loved.

Silent Hill 2 and Alone in the Dark 4 and Dino Crises. I need Resi Evil 2 remake but a whole new game.
    Last edited by Jer1cho; May 12th, 2021 at 08:26 PM.

5. Saying Thanks:

Raikan007 (May 13th, 2021),  WhoDatNinja (May 13th, 2021)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    Typed it. Sadly I am not a writer so you can clearly see in a lot of my phrasing etc.

I kinda wanted to point out how the series changed over time yet it kept backtracking on certain aspects of the game. For instance, RE2 remake was a pure conversion to modern technology but the design was still its 90s counter part. RE3 remake went the other direction by going for a more modern approach.

As I stated the old resident Evil games doesn't hold up that well anymore because of their control schemes. The HD remakes for RE and RE0 helped a lot with the analog control movement.

I think ultimately capcom has the right idea with RE village and its "end game" progression. It is the survival horror people are looking for but once that itch has been scratched there is that power play that comes into it with walking around with the most powerful weapons.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

7. Saying Thanks:

Raikan007 (May 13th, 2021)