12 30.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Donations

Experience

Yes, I might not be in SA anymore but I would donate

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

I would donate something, i assume this can be done by PayPal?

Experience

In two minds.

- Having badges/etc for donors: Nope. Hard pass.
    - Someone asked, I'll also: what costs are we looking at pm? I may never donate without that info.
    - WTF happened to someone's post about bans of senior members and then the donations drive after that? Can someone fill me in about why the bans happened please?
    - Donors may want to have a say about how the site is run/questioning mods/etc. Are the site owners OK with that possibility? What are the conditions/benefits that come with donating?

Great forum, albeit too fractured. There's just too many forums and subforums. I'd prefer two main forums [Gaming] and [Off Topic]. Why split off gamers into their silos of platforms? Surely we are mature enough to discuss gaming, no matter the platform? ZA Gamers... unite?

I hope the forum stays alive and vibrant.

Experience

A donator/contributor badge is just an acknowledgment of your donation. It in no way affords you 'special' treatment or benefits outside the rules of the forum, or gives you any say in the moderation or running of the forum, outside of what we already have.

As is any issues we have mods / admin lets us vent and bring it to the fore in a thread anyway.

It is a donation, not a mandatory subscription or share purchase. As such a comprehensive breakdown of running costs, let alone opportunity costs, is not warranted. Donations are usually small amounts. R50 to R100 being the norm back in the day.

5. Saying Thanks:

unaccounted (January 15th, 2022)  

Experience

I see your name is not in bright red, @noman, so you are not a mod/site owner? If you're not a mod/etc I would like a mod's response. Transparency and all that. I do not want to seem needlessly obtuse, and turn a simple and humble request for donations into a heated discussion, but to me R50-R100 is money I could have spent elsewhere. Knowing what I'm getting myself into is a nice... placebo (?)

If you're a big-chief-sitting-bull: I'm happy with your explanation.

Administrator
    Most Intimidating Member 2013
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by noman View Post
    A donator/contributor badge is just an acknowledgment of your donation. It in no way affords you 'special' treatment or benefits outside the rules of the forum, or gives you any say in the moderation or running of the forum, outside of what we already have.

As is any issues we have mods / admin lets us vent and bring it to the fore in a thread anyway.

It is a donation, not a mandatory subscription or share purchase. As such a comprehensive breakdown of running costs, let alone opportunity costs, is not warranted. Donations are usually small amounts. R50 to R100 being the norm back in the day.

What he said. Donating is donating, not buying an interest in. If you want to buy the forum make an offer. If you don't want, or can't donate, then you will not have one single difference between how you participate on the forum, and one who does donate.

Costs were discussed here, but I think more details would only be forthcoming were it to be decided to pursue a donations policy. It seems strange that someone with such a low post count would ask such questions, especially when someone else with a low post count asked the same questions and then said they were a senior former member now posting under a different profile. That is not permitted on the forum. In the interests of Transparency and all that are you able to confirm publicly that you are not the same? https://sagamer.co.za/forum/showthread.php?211955-Goodbye-SA-Gamer/page3

8. Saying Thanks:

unaccounted (January 15th, 2022)  

Addicted Member
    I've got to use my head...
    Game IDs
    Experience

I'm broke as f*** but I will donate.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Druss35 View Post
    What he said. Donating is donating, not buying an interest in. If you want to buy the forum make an offer. If you don't want, or can't donate, then you will not have one single difference between how you participate on the forum, and one who does donate.
    Reason I asked the question, was not for myself. Not interested in buying the forum. Again, it was for transparency sake. I just wanted to know if there will be 'classes' of posters, with the more donation made the more 'priviledges' one would get. Good to hear that there will be no difference.

Costs were discussed here, but I think more details would only be forthcoming were it to be decided to pursue a donations policy.
    link for me please. Again the cost issue is just for my curiosity. No ulterior motive. Edit: no need for link. Found it.
    It seems strange that someone with such a low post count would ask such questions, especially when someone else with a low post count asked the same questions and then said they were a senior former member now posting under a different profile.
    How is one's post count of any relevance? Is the 'value' of user input directly equivalent to the post count? I asked the question to establish why a member/s would be banned. Thereby getting a feel for the forum 'policing' policy. By all means ban people for racist/sexist/mysoginist/illegal stuff/etc. If I'm going to donate to the forum, stuff like this is important to me.

That is not permitted on the forum. In the interests of Transparency and all that are you able to confirm publicly that you are not the same?
    Not me.

For the love of everything that is sacred and holy and sacrosanct: please do not read my posts with an inner voice, therby endowing it with anger, saltiness/etc. I do come off as brash and abrupt and rude. That is not my intention.

Edit: also not a former forum member masquerading. No time, energy for all that shenanigans.

Edit2: I think this is the first time I'm venturing outside of the Nintendo section.
    Last edited by unaccounted; January 15th, 2022 at 12:52 PM.

Experience

Is the forum a black hole of costs at the moment? Is it in any way profitable after the R2500 monthly running fees have been deducted?

Experience

I think this place is a labour of love, and profit might be the last thing on the proprietors' mind. Hope I'm not wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast