Page 2263 of 2270 FirstFirst ... 12631763216322132243225922602261226222632264226522662267 ... LastLast
Results 22,621 to 22,630 of 22700

Thread: What was the last movie you watched ?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Yip, I still have my Panasonic D-VHS player lurking in my storage room somewhere (though I got rid of my 36" HD-CRT).
    Cool. I wasn't aware that Panasonic made D-VHS units.
    I still have a couple JVC's. Both with a few faults, though. The one has capacitor issues around the power supply area, and the other plays perfectly but the problem sometimes tends to be the tape-loading mechanism. On occasion it kinda gets stuck and wants to eject the tape. It's been like that ever since it was damaged in-transit.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZA View Post
    Cool. I wasn't aware that Panasonic made D-VHS units.
    I still have a couple JVC's. Both with a few faults, though. The one has capacitor issues around the power supply area, and the other plays perfectly but the problem sometimes tends to be the tape-loading mechanism. On occasion it kinda gets stuck and wants to eject the tape. It's been like that ever since it was damaged in-transit.
    That's unfortunate. Funny thing is, I have actually never watched a D-VHS tape, I just have the player (EDIT: No I don't, I just went down into my storage to hunt for it and that's not the player I brought with me).

Technology is a funny thing, I have the same nostalgic feeling for some of these devices, I thought Laser-Disc was amazing for example, but they just don't compare to the quality and convenience of modern tech.

Alien in Ultra HD looks just fantastic, the format really does justice to film. 2001, The Shining, Bridge Over The River Kwai, Apocalypse Now... all outstanding. I don't have particular interest in the movie, but I'm tempted to buy The Wizard of Oz just to see what they've done with it.

EDIT: The other unique thing about the format is that we haven't even seen how good these films really look yet, since the display technology will take many years yet to catch up to the standard. Not something you can say about most formats.
    Last edited by KenMasters; November 7th, 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    That's unfortunate. Funny thing is, I have actually never watched a D-VHS tape, I just have the player.
    I used to have almost a complete set. As I recall I had about 85 tapes, incl some speciality and demo tapes. Most were sold though to a local collector several years ago.

Technology is a funny thing, I have the same nostalgic feeling for some of these devices, I thought Laser-Disc was amazing for example, but they just don't compare to the quality and convenience of modern tech.
    Oh yeah, no question.
    Speaking of LaserDisc, I had always wanted to get one of those MUSE players but could never justify the cost.

Addicted Member
    Feeling Possessed
    Experience

Midsommar 8.5/10 really enjoyed it

5. Saying Thanks:

cowbrains (November 11th, 2019)  

Experience

Dora and the Lost City of Gold 7/10, never watched the cartoon once but this movies is a pretty good adventure movie, plot is predictable but i guess I'm biased to the explorer sort of puzzles, a gender confused miniature nate drake with bangs.

Game IDs
    Experience

Deep Blue Sea - Jackson getting chomped will never get old.
    PSN ID - Ibuki-Lord

Hidden Content

8. Saying Thanks:

abev (November 9th, 2019),  ngwane (November 10th, 2019)  

Experience

Got a chance to see Joker.

Basically an exploration of what causes a lonely, unhinged man to explode. Not my cup of tea but still well worth it just for the tour de force performance of Joaquin Phoenix.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Got a chance to see Joker.

Basically an exploration of what causes a lonely, unhinged man to explode. Not my cup of tea but still well worth it just for the tour de force performance of Joaquin Phoenix.
    So less superhero film, more adult reality?

That sounds pretty good and more mature to me.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    So less superhero film, more adult reality?

That sounds pretty good and more mature to me.
    It's one of those movies you can respect, though it's a little harder to like, IMO.

In a way it's a bit of a strange one. Who would you recommend it to? Probably comic book fans but not for comic book movie fans, particularly younger crowds. And letís say yes for cinephiles, but no for casual moviegoers.

I'd say it's best treated as if this wasnít of a superhero or supervillain origin at all; that it's just an intimate tale of a dangerously insane man.

12. Saying Thanks:

Cathal (November 10th, 2019),  DaveZA (November 11th, 2019),  SauRoN (November 10th, 2019),  Tag11 (November 12th, 2019),  Wyvern (November 10th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default What was the last movie you watched ?

It's one of those movies you can respect, though it's a little harder to like, IMO.

In a way it's a bit of a strange one. Who would you recommend it to? Probably comic book fans but not for comic book movie fans, particularly younger crowds. And letís say yes for cinephiles, but no for casual moviegoers.

I'd say it's best treated as if this wasnít of a superhero or supervillain origin at all; that it's just an intimate tale of a dangerously insane man.
    Yeah thatís what sounded appealing to me is that it doesnít sound like the superhero thing is the main event, which offers a more visceral realistic look at things.

Itís more Joker : Silence of the Lambs than day Joker : Batmanís Nemesis.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Page 2263 of 2270 FirstFirst ... 12631763216322132243225922602261226222632264226522662267 ... LastLast