Page 2401 of 2401 FirstFirst ... 1401190123012351238123972398239924002401
Results 24,001 to 24,008 of 24008

Thread: What was the last movie you watched ?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nykfist View Post
    So you understand the movie but I... simply don't? How convenient.
    It's not convenient at all, I've been trying at length to explain it to you. Somehow you just don't seem to get the concept of higher dimensional space. Look up Brian Greene's ant and the hose-pipe analogy, that might help.

The fact remains that the movie fails to address many plot points - as well as how the world it takes place in is established - that are required to be explained at some level in order to take it, and it's themes, seriously. Endless suburban streets indeed
    The streets are not endless, they're in an enclosure, like an animal in a zoo (hence the title of the film). The enclosure folds in on itself, like my prior example of a hamster wheel. If you are a two dimensional being, that would be your whole world - you could walk as far as you want, you'll always end up back where you started. A three dimensional being could just step to the side and be in the wider world.
    Last edited by KenMasters; August 10th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    It's not convenient at all, I've been trying at length to explain it to you. Somehow you just don't seem to get the concept of higher dimensional space. Look up Brian Greene's ant and the hose-pipe analogy, that might help.

The streets are not endless, they're in an enclosure, like an animal in a zoo (hence the title of the film). The enclosure folds in on itself, like my prior example of a hamster wheel. If you are a two dimensional being, that would be your whole world - you could walk as far as you want, you'll always end up back where you started. A three dimensional being could just step to the side and be in the wider world.
    Where does this 'zoo enclosure' develop from? The couple leave in a car and suddenly they are within this enclosure because they signed a 'deal with the devil'? We have to just fill in all the gaps in the plot ourselves, assume that it's an alien and anything might be possible? It's beyond absurd, and not in a positive Kafkaesque way

Game IDs
    Experience

Where does this 'zoo enclosure' develop from? The couple leave in a car and suddenly they are within this enclosure because they signed a 'deal with the devil'?
    The enclosure was built by the creatures based on what they think is our ideal family environment. These creatures have been living alongside us for a long, long time. Long enough to have developed a form of brood parasitism with us.

The enclosures themselves (there are many of them, as shown toward the end of the film) are long standing structures. The creatures aren't cruel, they try to provide what they think we want based on what they see in our society.

They got to Yonder by following the real-estate agent, they couldn't get there themselves, you need to be guided in by a creature that can see the truer structure of things - like sliding between two walls that would otherwise look like a single wall viewed face on.

We have to just fill in all the gaps in the plot ourselves, assume that it's an alien and anything might be possible? It's beyond absurd, and not in a positive Kafkaesque way
    There's no reason to think there's anything alien about them. That's why I find them so existentially menacing, that they have co-existed with us all this time, keeping small numbers of us captive to raise their young in artificial approximations of the environments they think we'd be comfortable in - like we do to zoo animals - with similarly little in the way of actual malice on their part.

We're simply a part of their life-cycle, and living with us for a period is essential in learning how to mimic us to they can then in turn bring more people in to raise future generations, the agent's office serves as the lure.
    Last edited by KenMasters; August 10th, 2020 at 05:12 PM.

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

The enclosure was built by the creatures based on what they think is our ideal family environment. These creatures have been living alongside us for a long, long time. Long enough to have developed a from of brood parasitism with us.

The enclosures themselves (as there are many of them, as shown toward the end of the film) are long standing structures. The creatures aren't cruel, they try to provide what they think we want based on what they see in our society.

They got to Yonder by following the real-estate agent, they couldn't get there themselves, you need to be guided in by a creature that can see the truer structure of things - like sliding between two walls that otherwise looks like a flat wall when viewed face on.

There's no reason to think there's anything alien about them. That's why I find them so existentially menacing, that they have co-existed with us all this time, keeping small numbers of us captive to raise their young in artificial approximations of the environments they think we'd be comfortable in - like we do to zoo animals - with little in the way of actual malice for their part.

We're simply a part of their life-cycle, and living with us for a period is essential in learning how to mimic us to they can then in tern bring more in to raise future generations, circle of life stuff.
    And again, repeated from my very first post about this movie, how do the couple arrive in this 'enclosure'? And again, this is why I do consider it to be a simplistic film and ill-considered film all around with lazy scriptwriting, it's because it takes too many shortcuts and expects us the viewers to take the message it has - at the end of the film - seriously when it has really provided none of the groundwork for us to take its message seriously, because nothing it has presented thus far at the end is connected to anything in 'our world'. Great acting from your female lead will only take you so far. I mean, it's like trying to present a chess match... on a checkers board.

I feel like I'm repeating myself
    Last edited by nykfist; August 10th, 2020 at 05:15 PM.

Game IDs
    Experience

And again, repeated from my very first post about this movie, how do the couple arrive in this 'enclosure'?
    They were guided in, the same way you could move our example hamster off the hamster wheel.

And again, this is why I do consider it to be a simplistic film and ill-considered film all around with lazy scriptwriting, it's because it takes too many shortcuts and expects us the viewers to take the message it has - at the end of the film - seriously when it has really provided none of the groundwork for us to take its message seriously, because nothing it has presented thus far at the end is connected to anything in 'our world'. Great acting from your female lead will only take you so far. I mean, it's like presenting a great chess match... on a checkers board.
    I don't agree.

6. Saying Thanks:

nykfist (August 10th, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    imdownhereforyoursoul
    Experience

They were guided in, the same way you could move our example hamster off the hamster wheel.
    I don't agree.
    I'm starting to think you might be right. I mean: If the movie is a criticism of real-world social ideals, then the 'hamster enclosure' is just an idea that doesn't really need any explanation for how it came into being or how it operates, because it's intended as a reflection of those real-world ideals, and those real-world ideals are just that, ideals, neither are based on anything concrete. Maybe you're right and an explanation isn't necessary.

Game IDs
    Experience

I'm starting to think you might be right. I mean: If the movie is a criticism of real-world social ideals, then the 'hamster enclosure' is just an idea that doesn't really need any explanation for how it came into being or how it operates, because it's intended as a reflection of those real-world ideals, and those real-world ideals are just that, ideals, neither are based on anything concrete. Maybe you're right and an explanation isn't necessary.
    It came into being because they built it. You are exasperating and I'm done with this particular conversation now.

Gaming Wizard
    Lets count to a Million
    Experience

This scared the crap out of me back in the day and after watching it again today it's aged pretty well

7/10

The Entity (1982)

Page 2401 of 2401 FirstFirst ... 1401190123012351238123972398239924002401