Page 314 of 314 FirstFirst ... 214264294310311312313314
Results 3,131 to 3,135 of 3135

Thread: TV Bargains

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tag11 View Post
    For SDR, is Backlight of 30 too high?
    Could definitely be, 100 nits is the right brightness for SDR, which is a much lower brightness level than most people tend to watch TV at. For context, outside of highlights, it should be about as bright as the average level of HDR content.

Final question, seeing as this is a gaming site after all! Do you guys ever use the Gaming modes on these TVs ? Turning on the PS4 immediately prompted me, and it is incredibly bright and sharp and just a little "too much"... again, I'm certain I'll get used to it, but are they being a bit funny with these enhanced modes or are they in fact best? For example I've never been able to use the "Sports mode" on the previous Samsung... everything was just super-saturated and unnatural.
    For gaming I always use the gaming modes, but you are right that they tend to be terrible from a picture quality point of view. Hopefully you can just copy over the picture settings from the Movie mode to correct it.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Could definitely be, 100 nits is the right brightness for SDR, which is a much lower brightness level than most people tend to watch TV at. For context, outside of highlights, it should be about as bright as the average level of HDR content.
    So tons of tweaking, even moved things around to have the old TV within view at the same time so we could compare (cannot trust just memory)... found that the HU8700 was set with brightness a bit higher than standard - seems we got used to it, so blacks were never really black, but a lot of detail in shadows/darker areas were visible.

So, the adjustment to the new TV will take some getting used to... .

I've dropped Backlight to 25 and Contrast to 35. 0 Brightness and 0 Sharpness and turned off ALL post processing features. Most importantly I've switched to Warm2, Gamma 2.2 and Colour space is now Native. Some things took time to get used to (Warm2!) but now I'm good with it.

The darks are pitch black! The bright and colourful parts are very bright and rich... however I can't help but feel some dark areas which should be visible are too dark - but it could be that I'm used to a false normal and perhaps those dark areas aren't meant to be seen, as you said. Still feels a tad too dark for me with some footage, but at least it isn't as blinding anymore on very bright scenes.

I might use Contrast Enhancer on Low from time to time if a show is mostly dark.

Game IDs
    Experience

I've dropped Backlight to 25 and Contrast to 35.
    The Contrast setting adjusts the TV's white level (up to where are the RGB scale you can make out white detail) - I would recommend leaving that at whatever the default setting is.

0 Brightness and 0 Sharpness and turned off ALL post processing features. Most importantly I've switched to Warm2, Gamma 2.2 and Colour space is now Native. Some things took time to get used to (Warm2!) but now I'm good with it.
    Good on you for giving Warm 2 a chance! Native for colour in SDR is going to be over-saturated though - there should be an "Auto" setting?

The darks are pitch black! The bright and colourful parts are very bright and rich... however I can't help but feel some dark areas which should be visible are too dark - but it could be that I'm used to a false normal and perhaps those dark areas aren't meant to be seen, as you said. Still feels a tad too dark for me with some footage, but at least it isn't as blinding anymore on very bright scenes.
    Is there a 2.0 setting you could try for gamma?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The Contrast setting adjusts the TV's white level (up to where are the RGB scale you can make out white detail) - I would recommend leaving that at whatever the default setting is.

Good on you for giving Warm 2 a chance! Native for colour in SDR is going to be over-saturated though - there should be an "Auto" setting?

Is there a 2.0 setting you could try for gamma?
    I have no idea what the default Contrast level was... have fiddled so much.
    Native vs Auto does make the colour "pop" which is either good or bad depending on the source.
    No 2.0 Gamma, but I can set it to BT.1886 which allows gradient from -3 to 3. At 3 it appears a bit lighter than Gamma 2.2

Oh, by the way, some channels (like Sky News, with a lot of white background content) are so bright it hurts to look at the screen for too long - if I enable Eco mode it appears to drop the backlight by at least 50% and helps a lot - some detail is lost, but necessary when the room is dark.

Content also make a big difference - saw a few minutes of 6 Underground on Netflix in 2160p HDR and I thought it looked fantastic. If this is an example of a weak HDR screen then I'm very curious to see what it looks on your OLED.

Game IDs
    Experience

I have no idea what the default Contrast level was... have fiddled so much.
    According to Rtings, it's 45.

Native vs Auto does make the colour "pop" which is either good or bad depending on the source.
    From my purist perspective Native is always a bad thing. Auto maps the correct REC. 709 gamut to the incoming signal.

No 2.0 Gamma, but I can set it to BT.1886 which allows gradient from -3 to 3. At 3 it appears a bit lighter than Gamma 2.2
    That's a weird implementation of BT. 1886 - I wonder why you can't adjust the gamma for any of the other settings? BT. 1886 strives to produce a gamma of 2.4, but shifts the gamma closer to 2.2 at the lower end so you can get better black level detail.

If you find by adjusting the slider you can get even lower than 2.2 using BT. 1886, opt for that - it should give colours a little more punch in the midrange, as those colours will sit further down in the greyscale than they do with a straight gamma of 2.2

Oh, by the way, some channels (like Sky News, with a lot of white background content) are so bright it hurts to look at the screen for too long - if I enable Eco mode it appears to drop the backlight by at least 50% and helps a lot - some detail is lost, but necessary when the room is dark.
    Why not just drop the backlight further instead of enabling Eco (which is a dynamic setting)? Is it because other content is then too dim, or do you feel like it's somehow wrong to drop the backlight down too much?

Why not download a test pattern disc like AVS HD to help you figure out the right settings?

Here's the link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html

Take note, there's also a Patterns Manual amongst the link options, it's a PDF that will guide you through the patterns. There's also a video tutorial on the disc that takes you through the process.

Page 314 of 314 FirstFirst ... 214264294310311312313314